Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying Tesco and the ''change for good'' campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Nody wrote: »
    For 30 days prior iirc.

Why have a English speaking customer service in a high cost country when you can get scale benefits AND lower wages in another?

Oh I dont have a problem with this at all - basically i just want somebody to answer my question about Tesco's price increase. I started off two weeks ago speaking with Dublin (call was answered immediately however my question wasn't - as I'm still waiting for a reply) and today my call was answered after 20 minutes of "holding on" - my question is still awaiting an answer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

deelite wrote: »
    However I notice that the "Change for Good" signs have been replaced in the last two days with "Change for the Better" (I think). ..

"Change for good" is a slogan used by UNICEF and they requested Tesco to change it.

Tesco made a donation to UNICEF and agreed to stop using the change for good slogan by September.

As for prices going up / down. This happens daily in every supermarket. In the Tesco campaign they changed over 12,000 prices and in that 12,000 theer were going to be some errors bith on the high side (a £2 product selling at €3.80, but changed to €2.45) and on the low side (a £1.50 bag of salad selling at €1.20)

Overall I know my shopping bill has dropped substantially since this started and about time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Alot of change alright in the last week, upwards that is :mad:

A rake of WW ready meals have increased from €1.85 to €2.39, they were about €2.45 before this new campaign so a saving of 7c, lovely.

Alot of the special offers have gone as well, like the 2 for €1.50 Ballygowan water special.
    Global cuisine 500g packs of Chicken & Steaks have gone up from 4quid(great price) to now 6quid.

Just lets say they are edging me closer to going back up north for my regular shop.

To add, even my local Eurospar(usual ripoff) is even cheaper than Tesco for the fresh beef steaks, now that's an eyeopener.

Any guesses for when the next Tesco price increase is? :D

I'm using Tesco like my mother used to use the "van shop" years ago - I only go in there for milk/bread/paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I use Aldi for that.

I buy my pizzas in Tesco because I don't like the Aldi ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Had the joy of finding myself in tesco. anyway, needed a tin of ravioli for the little guys dinner. Picked up a 'branded' tin, inspected, 12.5% beef.

Picked up a tesco brand, inspected, laughed, put down. 2.5% beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ch750536 wrote: »
    Had the joy of finding myself in tesco. anyway, needed a tin of ravioli for the little guys dinner. Picked up a 'branded' tin, inspected, 12.5% beef.

Picked up a tesco brand, inspected, laughed, put down. 2.5% beef.

What made you go to Tesco, or did they drag you in off the street?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fire_fly

I drink douwe egberts coffee, which was on special @ €2.50 before Tesco's super price drop...After the drop to was priced @ €2.00 even better...two weeks later it was priced @ €3.54...I'm still waiting for an answer from thestore manager....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

deelite wrote: »
    Not sure if you normally bought their fresh noodles (not the rice ones) they came down to 1.09 in their change of good. But they are now at 2.39?????? I rang head office and spoke directly to the manager last weekend - I'm still waiting for a reply.
    Fire_fly wrote: »
    I drink douwe egberts coffee, which was on special @ €2.50 before Tesco's super price drop...After the drop to was priced @ €2.00 even better...two weeks later it was priced @ €3.54...I'm still waiting for an answer from thestore manager....
    What sort of reply are you expecting to hear? What was your actual complaint?- In my last post on this thread I said I think they might be illegally advertising a price reduction, is that what you are complaining about? -if so it might be better to go to the relevant consumer agency (I think somebody posted who in another thread).

If you are simply asking why they put up a price the answer is because they can. I honestly hope they don't waste resources issuing a formal response, as they will no doubt pass the cost onto shoppers who still go there. Just as I hate the thought of places wasting money on removing dual priced items.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JRT

128975166518531274.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

they had lovely tesco body spray was 1.09- then went down to 80 c- then down to 47 c

and now its back up to 1.09

And this has been in the last 2 months

robbers and liars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I bet you didn't think they were robbers when paying 47c for it did you ?

Imagine that, a store increasing the price of goods. Another person who fails miserably to understand how a business operates. Our education system has alot to answer for these days.

rubadub wrote: »
    What sort of reply are you expecting to hear? What was your actual complaint?- In my last post on this thread I said I think they might be illegally advertising a price reduction, is that what you are complaining about? -if so it might be better to go to the relevant consumer agency (I think somebody posted who in another thread).

If you are simply asking why they put up a price the answer is because they can. I honestly hope they don't waste resources issuing a formal response, as they will no doubt pass the cost onto shoppers who still go there. Just as I hate the thought of places wasting money on removing dual priced items.

The type of reply I am expecting is one that will explain such a huge price increase in "fresh tesco own brand noodles" - an increase of 1.30. The manager can't understand why and he also is awaiting a reply from head office. The manager was amazed that previously it had one of the "price cut bar codes" before the price increase. The only explanation I have had to date is along the lines that there are new buyers working for Tesco now.

The noodles are advertised in store at 2.39, I am not suggesting (and hope none of my previous posts suggest) that there has been false advertising on Tesco's part. But it would be nice to have a full copy of the 12,500 "price cuts" to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i just left tesco in fairgreen in carlow and they have the new pringles on sale for 85cent more than the normal older flavours! these packs are even lighter so they have 5grams less for 85cent more!

is that what they call change for good???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Well, they put up several products I had been buying (for the second time:mad:) so I for one won't be doing a big shop there anymore. I'll go back to getting the "special offers" I that I think are good value, and thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Jip wrote: »
    I bet you didn't think they were robbers when paying 47c for it did you ?

Imagine that, a store increasing the price of goods. Another person who fails miserably to understand how a business operates. Our education system has alot to answer for these days.

Nope, don't be so cocky ;)

A store who proclaims to have reduced prices have been proven by consumers on countless occasions to not have to, thats the point of this thread.

ie..they lied *again*.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

The Tesco beside me has to be the worst shop ever.Now it is an express one but even still.1st of all I went in last Saturday for milk they only had tesco brand and was best before 28th September (it was the 3rd October):eek: 2nd they don't stock barrys tea (red pack) or tesco beer (nice and cheap) any more.3rd stuff that is out of that that day should be sold for a fraction of the price i.e 1 euro, not half or 33% off,they had chicken that was out of date that day and were looking for nealy 5 euro for it.:eek:
    4th they have a price comparison with centre and spar,come on everyone knows they tend to be more expensive anyway.5th they moved all the stock around,nightmare looking for it now.:confused:The list goes on and on.

So to me it's the worst tesco ever!

Oh and it's in Ratoath. ;)

tony231974 wrote: »
    4th they have a price comparison with centre and spar,come on everyone knows they tend to be more expensive anyway.

Do they sell punctuation ? Shenanigans anyway, they cannot publish price comparisons that are, as you say, 'more expensive anyway'. Firstly, the NCA will be down on them like a tonne of bricks, and they have to have proof of the prices at the particular snapshot of time so they retain receipts for each product they bought for the purposes of the comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

tony231974 wrote: »
    The Tesco beside me has to be the worst shop ever.Now it is an express one but even still.1st of all I went in last Saturday for milk they only had tesco brand and was best before 28th September (it was the 3rd October):eek: 2nd they don't stock barrys tea (red pack) or tesco beer (nice and cheap) any more.3rd stuff that is out of that that day should be sold for a fraction of the price i.e 1 euro, not half or 33% off,they had chicken that was out of date that day and were looking for nealy 5 euro for it.:eek:
    4th they have a price comparison with centre and spar,come on everyone knows they tend to be more expensive anyway.5th they moved all the stock around,nightmare looking for it now.:confused:The list goes on and on.

So to me it's the worst tesco ever!

Oh and it's in Ratoath. ;)

I agree the Tesco in Ratoath is *minging*, have often had to pop in there on the way home from work and its pretty filthy .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

The sample was only 25 items, that's a stupidly low sample to use from a pool of thousands of items, anyone from a scientific background would tell you you can't come to any form of conclusion based on such a low percentage.

I see that RGdata gets a mention, and also has a go at Tesco. The same organisation that jumps into bed with Musgrave/SuperValu to fight planning every single time that Tesco tries to get a new store built.

If any bunch are anti-competition, it's that shower of feckers. They criticise Tesco for their pricing, but RGdata bends over backwards to protect Musgrave's profit-margins, and at the same time, spout bullsh1t about how they're so concerned for the effect on local community of a new Tesco being built.

They're supposed to represent "independent grocers", but I've never heard of them dealing with anyone other than the Musgrave franchisees.

As far as I'm concerned, and sick of getting robbed at my local SuperValu, not to mention the lack of choice that they offer, RGdata is public enemy No1, and plays a strong part in promoting the rip-offs in the Irish grocery trade.

Jip wrote: »
    The sample was only 25 items, that's a stupidly low sample to use from a pool of thousands of items, anyone from a scientific background would tell you you can't come to any form of conclusion based on such a low percentage.
    what is the point of including items whach people might buy once a year? they did their research on normal everyday items and tesco prices were found to be still much higher than the same shops and products in the north despite their "northern prices" in shops here!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I see that RGdata gets a mention, and also has a go at Tesco. The same organisation that jumps into bed with Musgrave/SuperValu to fight planning every single time that Tesco tries to get a new store built.

If any bunch are anti-competition, it's that shower of feckers. They criticise Tesco for their pricing, but RGdata bends over backwards to protect Musgrave's profit-margins, and at the same time, spout bullsh1t about how they're so concerned for the effect on local community of a new Tesco being built.

They're supposed to represent "independent grocers", but I've never heard of them dealing with anyone other than the Musgrave franchisees.

As far as I'm concerned, and sick of getting robbed at my local SuperValu, not to mention the lack of choice that they offer, RGdata is public enemy No1, and plays a strong part in promoting the rip-offs in the Irish grocery trade.
    what did musgraves do on you?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    what is the point of including items whach people might buy once a year? they did their research on normal everyday items and tesco prices were found to be still much higher than the same shops and products in the north despite their "northern prices" in shops here!

So your weekly, bi-monthly shop only consists of 25 items ?

I'll let you know when I've finished my 48 page reply to your question.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

IMO it's the truth - anyone, with even the slightest involvement in Irish grocery would know that.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hmm. Did the papers once again forget to mention that they are cheaper up North ?

Never yet seen the I. Times or De Paper or D'indo doing an article complaining that your daily paper is cheaper in Belfast than Bandon, Derry than Donegal, Lisburn than Limerick.

Advertisement