Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying Tesco and the ''change for good'' campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eass82

In Tesco Nutgrove last night and went to get some pringles to go with my very decent 12 bottles of Brahma for 9.99.....

Had to look twice when i saw they were charging 2.49

Some change for good that is.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I was in Tesco Bloomfields today getting some cheap blank Dvd's(they are cheap) and passed some of the halloween costumes they had displayed.
    Thought I might get 1 for my son as he loves Ben 10.
    Price was displayed €23/£15 I mean thats a big rip off.
    £15 is €16.50 where did they get the other €6.50??
    Didn't buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

eass82 wrote: »
    In Tesco Nutgrove last night and went to get some pringles to go with my very decent 12 bottles of Brahma for 9.99.....

Had to look twice when i saw they were charging 2.49

Some change for good that is.:(
    pringles are 1.24 in dunnes...

I keep a tight eye on my shopping budget and tesco has never been cheaper than dunnes. Superquinn is definitely more expensive but that can be put down to the large selection of luxury goods which invariably end up in the trolley.

And I don't care whatthe sterling tag says, if dunnes had sterling tags yo'd see the same. Btw, do you ever stop and ask yourself why northern ireland is a cheaper place to live? It's a **** he, sorry to any northerners, but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Rebel021 wrote: »
    I was in Tesco Bloomfields today getting some cheap blank Dvd's(they are cheap) and passed some of the halloween costumes they had displayed.
    Thought I might get 1 for my son as he loves Ben 10.
    Price was displayed €23/£15 I mean thats a big rip off.
    £15 is €16.50 where did they get the other €6.50??
    Didn't buy it

they are still selling their clothes for £1 to €1 so you would have got it at €15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

they are still selling their clothes for £1 to €1 so you would have got it at €15

AFAIK this ended at the end of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 shebafay

i went up to tesco in banbridge last nite, and the 3 for £10 special was on in the packed meat/poultry dept. however, in tesco donore its 3 for €10 which is actually cheaper. i thought that banbridge prices were up since my last visit 2 months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

Isn't the real issue with Tesco the fact that the own brand goods are such poor quality? Patak's Lime Pickle 73% lime, Tesco's Lime Pickle 46% lime (not value range).

Lidl did an expose on them a while ago. I wouldn't feed my grandchildren any tesco value products, that's for sure.

EUR 9.50 per hour is not minimum wage but it is not enough to buy shares can we stop the lying please Tesco PR people it makes our lady very sad.

By the way the reason Tesco are so expensive and poor quality is that they are a UK crowd and they are laughing at
    'Vose fick Paddys'
    Laughing all the way to the bank because they are right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

20goto10 wrote: »
    Superquinn is definitely more expensive but that can be put down to the large selection of luxury goods which invariably end up in the trolley.

Superquinn goods are better but not good enough to justify the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MrMicra wrote: »
    By the way the reason Tesco are so expensive and poor quality is that they are a UK crowd and they are laughing at
    'Vose fick Paddys'

In that case, they must be laughing at the Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Hungarians, Turks, Chinese, Malaysians, Japanese, Thais, South Koreans, Americans, not to mention the English Welsh and Scottish. I see on their website that they're going to be having a titter at the Indians as well soon.:eek:

I oft wonder about the origins of the the Liverpudlian Tesco CEO, Terence Patrick Leahy. I can't for the life of me work out where his ancestors could have come from.:confused:

Persecution by super-market:pac: Off to the GPO!

Of course, you could have missed out a :).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Isn't the real issue with Tesco the fact that the own brand goods are such poor quality?
    Many of their new own brand stuff is actually pretty good, and has higher % of the expensive ingredients than many major brands. I am always reading labels and was very surprised. The "value" range is crap, they have other various brands which are not blatantly own brand at first, you have to read the back to discover they are indeed tesco own brand. These are cheaper than the "standard tesco" brand, and often have as high or nearly as high a % of decent ingredients as the "finest" range, or branded goods equivalent.
    'Vose fick Paddys'
    They are not laughing too hard since when they arrive at the bank they have to wait hours for Ben Dunne to deposit all his cash. Is he also laughing at the thick paddies? Maybe we need a "I hate brits" forum where half of these posters could vent their real issues. I doubt a similar Dunnes thread would have taken off like this one, no anti-british prejudices to lure people in I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

rubadub wrote: »
    Maybe we need a "I hate brits" forum where half of these posters could vent their real issues. I doubt a similar Dunnes thread would have taken off like this one, no anti-british prejudices to lure people in I suppose.

Nail and the head. And it's not just this forum this comes up in, I received a banning from the North Dublin forum for 'heatedly' debating the tired old Tesco argument over there. Apparently there's been no news in the media on Tescos redundancies and how they've changed their supply chain, Tesco have been keeping it secret :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Well, I hope that the poster in this case, extolling the virtues of Nissan Micras, made certain that his car never came from Nissan's Sunderland factory.:eek:

and then there are the "old" Minis (wonder where they were made?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

parsi wrote: »
    Hmm. Did the papers once again forget to mention that they are cheaper up North ?

Never yet seen the I. Times or De Paper or D'indo doing an article complaining that your daily paper is cheaper in Belfast than Bandon, Derry than Donegal, Lisburn than Limerick.

Not only that but the change for good :D .....sorry for a few weeks was only brought out in half their stores. It isn't fair that Tesco have deprived half of their customers of the 4 week window of opportunity that is the much revered change for good.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Tiger bread for 35 cent tonight.

Of course it goes off tomorrow and they printed their barcodes wrong so it won't go through their system with the reduced price :rolleyes:

This is in Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bloomfields dun laoighre, 6 x 380ml lucozade, gone from €3.50 up to €4.55

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco have put a long list of products comparing prices to 3 other supermarkets in Ireland on their website. Survey carried out 4th November
    http://www.tesco.ie/spotthedifference/

Selective choice of products with the highest differences first

thebman wrote: »
    Tiger bread for 35 cent tonight.

Of course it goes off tomorrow and they printed their barcodes wrong so it won't go through their system with the reduced price :rolleyes:
    If the price is too high then you get it free. In most bakeries they will tell you it is best eaten on day of purchase, I like to see my bread is capable of going mouldy, if it lasts a week you have to wonder what sort of crap is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Bought a Terrys orange ball a while ago and it was 1.17. Seen it again the otehr night on BOGOF and it was put up to 2.34. Bit sneaky really.

Still got a few other bargains. Just have to be careful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

Tesco Castlebar, 5 pk iced Donuts gone up today, was €1.00, now €1.35.

Tesco Sucks, dont want to buy there anymore, Prices come down one minute then rocket the next. At least i will be buying off Dunnes Stores from now on.

marinbike wrote: »
    5 iced donuts for €1.35, OMG :eek: call the cops, what a "rip off", are you serious?!? this should be in bargain alerts FFS :rolleyes:
    Prices come down one minute then rocket the next.
    €1 is feck all, that was obviously an offer, and a ridiculously good one, €1.35 is still next to nothing, you'd be lucky to get single donut in some places for that. They often have half price deals, so, shock -horror, prices do "double overnight", when the offer ends.
    Slunk wrote: »
    Bought a Terrys orange ball a while ago and it was 1.17. Seen it again the otehr night on BOGOF and it was put up to 2.34. Bit sneaky really.
    Ditto to all the above, chocolate oranges are 175g, a 50-60g bar of inferior chocolate would be a euro in some shops.

Do people honestly thing "change for good", meant they signed some legal document stating they would never, EVER again change prices? it seems that way, which is quite disturbing.

As I have said here and in many threads many of the offers in tesco are no longer advertised, and many advertised ones are "non-offers", if you do not know the true values of items then its only yourself to blame. Not realising 1.17 was a ridiculously low price is quite strange and since it is 2.34 it was obviously half price. They had bounties 5-packs in tesco for €1.25 a few weeks ago, this was not highlighted as an offer, now they have "rocketed" to €2 for 5, you'd be lucky to get a single one for €1 in a newsagent, and last time I was in dunnes I think it was €3 for a 5 pack.

• Advertisement

5 iced donuts for €1.35, OMG :eek: call the cops, what a "rip off", are you serious?!? this should be in bargain alerts FFS :rolleyes:

€1 is feck all, that was obviously an offer, and a ridiculously good one, €1.35 is still next to nothing, you'd be lucky to get single donut in some places for that. They often have half price deals, so, shock -horror, prices do "double overnight", when the offer ends.

There was no offer on these because I asked the manager about it. That was the original price. Tesco brand iced donuts are now €1.35. A 35 cent price rise overnight. Tesco's way of hiking the prices just in time for their busy christmas season goes against what they previously promised.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Tesco Sucks, dont want to buy there anymore, Prices come down one minute then rocket the next. At least i will be buying off Dunnes Stores from now on.

Pretty sure iced Doughnut's in dunnes are more than €1.35 for 5....I know the jam doughnut's I last bought there were €1.69 for 6.

To be honest, I can see you coming to the realisation at some point that dunnes sucks too...at which point you'll want an asda :D and so on...

I quite enjoy not needing to feel like I have to shop in any one shop over another (no brand loyalty here), I get to see that they're all much of a muchness. Dunnes will be cheaper on some items, tesco on others, and supervalu will be cheaper on certain items too etc...

As you can see in dunnes latest advertisement:

Sunday-Ad-Page-2-09.11.09.jpg

They're pretty much the same.

There was no offer on these because I asked the manager about it.
    I think you are just saying that in an attempt to bolster your argument/outrage, I cannot imagine people calling out a manager to moan over 35cent on such cheap items which is already very good value item.

Like I said the 5- pack bounties went from €1.25 to €2, a 75cent increase OVERNIGHT!! outrageous, why could they not bring it up a few cent a day :rolleyes:
    That was the original price.
    Like I said most of tescos best offers are not offered as being "on offer", I am confused why they do this, but I like it. The mindless drones shopping there miss the good deals, and snap up the phoney non-offers. This means more profit to tesco so they can afford to have these discrete nonadvertised offers which savvy shoppers benefit from.

I have a great memory for prices, always have, and I notice prices are wildly changing in tesco all the time now, and they are rarely advertised.

I think you are just saying that in an attempt to bolster your argument/outrage, I cannot imagine people calling out a manager to moan over 35cent on such cheap items which is already very good value item.

Perhaps you didn't like my response to your previous comment? I asked the manager because he happened to be on the same aisle.

Even if it was a 35 cent rise, whats to stop Tesco raising it again by another 35 cents tonight??

The point is, Tesco is slowly and discretely trying to return its prices to the pre-2009 rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

One thing I don't like about Tesco at the moment is their in store Price comparisons:

Some of them say "Cheaper than dunnes" (fair enough, I'll buy that) but advertising that you are "Cheaper than Londis" or "Cheaper than Spar" is a real insult to my intelligence. What this is really saying is "Dearer than Dunnes, so we had to compare against a convenience store rather than a real competitor".

Perhaps you didn't like my response to your previous comment?
    Yes, you are right, I think you were lying to bolster your argument.
    There was no offer on these because I asked the manager about it. That was the original price.
    How did this conversation go? seems strange that you would specifically ask him if they were on offer before, just coincidental to me asking about it. If these are the same donuts I am thinking of they are 4 packs (not 5) and they had hundreds of them in a section in my local tesco marked as €1, they were flying out the door. It was a ridiculously low price, stocked high and selling loads, like the "tiger loafs" have been €1 recently. And in both cases my local tesco strangely did not have big signs promoting them, the volume of stock was enough to catch peoples eye. Those 4 packs of donuts have gone up, but I do remember they were a lot more than €1.35 before they were reduced to €1. Those 4 packs have been out a good while and I always thought they were particularly expensive for tesco own brand stuff.
    whats to stop Tesco raising it again by another 35 cents tonight??
    Absoultely NOTHING, thanks be to god there are no pricing restrictions. They can raise all they like, as I said many times only an utter idiot would think the slogan "change for good" meant they would never again raise their prices for all eternity.

€1.70 would still be cheap, I think there were closer to €3 a few months back. A single tim horton one of a similar size & style is ~€1.20 in tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

gavney wrote: »
    One thing I don't like about Tesco at the moment is their in store Price comparisons:

Some of them say "Cheaper than dunnes" (fair enough, I'll buy that) but advertising that you are "Cheaper than Londis" or "Cheaper than Spar" is a real insult to my intelligence. What this is really saying is "Dearer than Dunnes, so we had to compare against a convenience store rather than a real competitor".

What's even better is signs saying "Cheaper than Asda" and "Cheaper than Sainsbury" in stores that are quite a distance from the border.

All the supermarkets are a rip off. I don't get the I'm never shopping in Tesco, I'm never shopping in Dunnes, they're all the same. Aldi/Lidl ftw! even though they are no saints either.

By the way, after Tesco launched it's "price war" didn't Dunnes/Supervalu follow suit? Are other supermarket prices are yoyoing too or is it just Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Whilst the Donuts were good value before and now good value after the price went up it's the percentage that they went up by we should be highlighting.

That’s were I would have an issue regardless of how cheap \ good value the item is.

bcirl03 wrote: »
    it's the percentage that they went up by we should be highlighting..
    WHY??!??:eek::confused:

Do you work for The Sun or something? This is the type of gutter press tactic that I absolutlely DESPISE. You want to hide/mask the reality from the consumer with statistics you KNOW FULL WELL do not portray what is really going on, just for a sensationalist eye catching headline/comment.

A high % of SWEET F**K ALL is still SWEET F**K ALL. This crap maddens me since I work in stats as part of my job and find this sort of stuff is utterly disgraceful and unforgiveably underhanded, you are deliberately trying to mislead the ignorant, and blind them with figures.
    bcirl03 wrote: »
    That’s were I would have an issue regardless of how cheap \ good value the item is.
    This beggars belief :confused: Why are you concerned with some statistical figure when you full admit they are still good value. If the donuts were 10cent and now 1euro, OMG, they changed the price 1,000% OVERNIGHT :rolleyes:

I said before I was confused why tesco no longer advertise their best offers, I think I know now -bullsh*t stat makers. In another thread some "independent survey" was done comparing supermarkets and incredibly they IGNORED special offers!, they went for the previous prices. So it pays for supermarkets not to advertise any offers because of this illogical reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

WHY??!??:eek::confused:

Do you work for The Sun or something? This is the type of gutter press tactic that I absolutlely DESPISE. You want to hide/mask the reality from the consumer with statistics you KNOW FULL WELL do not portray what is really going on, just for a sensationalist eye catching headline/comment.

A high % of SWEET F**K ALL is still SWEET F**K ALL. This crap maddens me since I work in stats as part of my job and find this sort of stuff is utterly disgraceful and unforgiveably underhanded, you are deliberately trying to mislead the ignorant, and blind them with figures.

This beggars belief :confused: Why are you concerned with some statistical figure when you full admit they are still good value. If the donuts were 10cent and now 1euro, OMG, they changed the price 1,000% OVERNIGHT :rolleyes:

I said before I was confused why tesco no longer advertise their best offers, I think I know now -bullsh*t stat makers. In another thread some "independent survey" was done comparing supermarkets and incredibly they IGNORED special offers!, they went for the previous prices. So it pays for supermarkets not to advertise any offers because of this illogical reasoning.

Percentages do matter no matter what size they are - at the end of the day thats what matters, how much things go up or down.

And eh no I dont work for the Sun, and what if I did?

Let me quote you a good percentage:

'Use code MP99441 at checkout for 5% off your first order at www.myprotein.co.uk vitamins & protein etc '

Advertisement