Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying Tesco and the ''change for good'' campaign

12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, you are right, I think you were lying to bolster your argument.

No no, you're mis-interpreting. I have nothing to 'bolster' by being honest.
    If these are the same donuts I am thinking of they are 4 packs (not 5) and they had hundreds of them in a section in my local tesco marked as €1, they were flying out the door. It was a ridiculously low price

Since when did '5' turn into a '4'? The pack of donuts were obviously different to the ones you mentioned. These were iced donuts and they came in a bag, not the box (which are probably the ones you are thinking of).

The problem is that Tesco is not keeping to its price-cut promise at all. Their euro-sterling price parity on school clothing was a clear example of this. They then ended it back in September and guess what, the prices of a school uniform are the same as before. No change worth mentioning.

Tesco should have called it a sale/offer season instead of "change for good"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Found this disturbing webpage.
    http://www.cheapeats.ie/2009/10/14/this-is-why-you-will-now-be-noticing-increases-in-our-product-prices-a-revealing-email-from-tesco/
    Dear Mr [name omitted]

Thank you for your response.

Could I ask you were you advertising something as “change for good” when in fact it was only for a few weeks? Surely that is misleading to customers. What did Tesco mean by “change for good”?

Kind regards
    Audrey O’Byrne
    Dear Audrey

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your response to my email correspondence.

I would like to apologise that you found the wording of our change for good campaign misleading, please let me assure you that this was certainly not our intention to mislead any of our customers.

In relation to the wording, I feel that this was meaning a change for the better, as our customers were able to make considerable savings during this promotion. Regardless of this, I can still understand why you and other customers may have found the wording of this misleading.

Therefore I can assure you that I will fully log your comments and they will be passed to the relevant department, to take on board for any future wording of promotions.

Once again my apologies and if I can help you any further please don’t hesitate to contact me at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting [code omitted-
    Kind Regards
    [name omitted]
    Customer Service Manager
    Tesco Customer Service
    She had sent several emails. As a customer it really annoys me that a shop is wasting resources having to reply/pander to simpletons like this, no doubt this cost will be forwarded onto their customers.

I really worry about what our schools are turning out in this country, the naivety & stupidity is appalling. How can people like this survive day to day, they must be falling for scams all over the place if they really are that incredibly stupid as to think tesco were never going to change their prices again. I never knew people could be such utter gullible fools, you have to feel sorry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tesco Bitter Lemon from 49c to 56c in the last month
    Tesco Kick now at 1.13, it was 99c then 1.04 and it was also hiked up in the last month

Price dropped in our local Tesco when the new campaign started and they closed for a few days to put in new stock
    Oh but the prices are creeping back up again
    Maybe they think nobody will notice :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭rameire

or maybe its just because prices fluctuate and will go up or down depending on costs including exchange rates and cost of raw goods.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

True I suppose

Something else I noticed.
    Tesco have signs with an Irish flag and "Buy me, I'm Irish"
    It was bottled water I think and bottled in Antrim

Now without getting pedantic on the whole border issue, why advertise a product from Antrim with the Irish tricolour? Can't be right :confused:

I remember the whole issue of Brazilian beef being passed off as Irish though that wasn't a Tesco issue. This is much the same I think, though not as serious

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

mikemac wrote: »
    Tesco Bitter Lemon from 49c to 56c in the last month
    Tesco Kick now at 1.13, it was 99c then 1.04 and it was also hiked up in the last month

Price dropped in our local Tesco when the new campaign started and they closed for a few days to put in new stock
    Oh but the prices are creeping back up again
    Maybe they think nobody will notice :rolleyes:

The price of an awful lot of goods that came down during the promotion have gone up
    Tesco Value Cola 2l from 29c to 35c
    Tesco Value Jug 1l from 45c to 63c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Don't be fooled by Tesco's big advertising push in the Republic, this was only put in place around the Border originally because of the cross border trade being lost to Sainsbury's and ASDA.

When people kicked up a fuss it then became a nationwide roll-out on a county by county basis.......

I know from experience that I have found the Drogheda store to be cheaper than the Clare Hall store and a hell of a lot cheaper than there Swords convenience store.

If you do a big shop once a month and live within say an 1hr to 1 1/2hrs drive from the border then I would still recommend you go up north to shop, the savings are still massive compared to what the equivalent shop would cost in the Republic.

You save 6.5% straight up through the VAT difference, then you also save on the UK V Republic price for goods even though most goods are now sourced centrally in Britain & then shipped to Ireland both north and south.

I would estimate that I save at least €80-100 every month by going up north and yes this is after the expense of petrol and toll charges.

People need to wise up and boycott these stores.

As most of the big Tesco's stores as quite new it makes sense that if the footfall is not coming through the door they will have to lower prices to get turnover & footfall back up to cover the cost of running these stores. If these stores are near the border and they are losing trade to Sainsbury's and ASDA they are sure to look at there pricing again as they had to do earlier this year to encourage customers back to into there border stores.

Just another quick question......

Why do you get double clubcard points up north compared to down in the Republic ?? You also get points if you reuse bags!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco wants to cash in on border shoppers as celticbest mentioned. They've applied for permission for the largest supermarket in Ireland at 130,000sq ft just outside Banbridge. Permission has been refused again
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8387598.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

baubl wrote: »
    I have never ever found tesco to be value for money, it is dearer than supervalue and spar on alot of items, then tescos own brand is just rubbish,
    just wondering where is the best place outside of Northern Ireland to get a bargain shopping basket this christmas

Name some, I'm intrigued.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Found this disturbing webpage.
    http://www.cheapeats.ie/2009/10/14/this-is-why-you-will-now-be-noticing-increases-in-our-product-prices-a-revealing-email-from-tesco/

My favourite quote from tesco .....

''In relation to the wording, I feel that this was meaning a change for the better, as our customers were able to make considerable savings during this promotion. Regardless of this, I can still understand why you and other customers may have found the wording of this misleading.''

Poor misunderstood Tesco.....nice one for the 4/5 weeks reduction though!!

Wow I wonder how Tesco didn't spot that one......

seems it was a change for the good of Tesco and not their customers....:rolleyes: ......remember ''every little counts''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

escobar wrote: »
    seems it was a change for the good of Tesco and not their customers....:rolleyes: ......remember ''every little counts''

I think that you forgot to remember that it's "every little helps":P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ibuprofen wrote: »
    Tesco have outdone themselves...:(

I would have thought a price change for good meant ...well... at least ...that it wouldn't rise in price the next month but ....

It seems though tesco have a different definition of "changefor good" :mad:...

''Of 50 products reduced in price for the “change for good” strategy in early May, six had risen again to the previous level'' :eek::eek::eek:

''TESCO HAS increased prices on hundreds of food items just over a month after they were reduced as part of a heavily-promoted price-cutting campaign in some stores.''

''The country’s biggest retailer confirmed yesterday it had increased prices on about 200 lines in its “change for good” stores, which stock large numbers of products directly imported from the UK rather than sourced from Irish suppliers.''

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0630/1224249781219.html
    who said tesco is easy on r pocets,
    i bought a dog collar in a two euro shop for two euro, in tesco a few hours later, i saw the same very same collar for five euro and 99 cent, what a cop out,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

I have offically boycotted tesco! i actually cannot believe that they could get away with a marketing campaign that stated their price cuts as a "change for good" when obviously they only lasted a matter of weeks. This campaign was a complete and utter misleading campaign and completely unfair for loyal customers. I shopped in lidl/aldi weekly prior to this campaign, but decided to give tesco another chance on the backing of this campaign. but since jan i have noticed an approx 30% hike on my grocery bill compared to my prices during the "change for good" campaign. this is not good enuf and i think it is an outrage that they could get away with it. They obviously think we are so stupid we wont notice!! I will no longer be supporting their carrick on shannon store, except for major essentials such as corn flakes. in my opinion they should give good deals on these brands eg kelloggs cork flakes so that some people will shop there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

yungwan wrote: »
    I have offically boycotted tesco

A boycott = I'll never shop there again.

I'll buy their Kellogg's cornflakes and some other items they have a reduced price on = a lame duck boycott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

dh0661 wrote: »
    A boycott = I'll never shop there again.

I'll buy their Kellogg's cornflakes and some other items they have a reduced price on = a lame duck boycott.

Right thanks for that input.

Rephrase: I will no longer be shopping there for my full grocery list.
    I will only be buying brands which I cannot get in cheaper department stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that you forgot to remember that it's "every little helps":P

:D woops......

I wonder if a if tesco spokes person could translate that for us too .....

would it be ''every little misunderstanding helps tesco fill their pockets''

Advertisement