Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Barstooler"

Options
  • 26-07-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61305212&postcount=213

As can be seen from the link above, in the soccer forum we've been essentially told we can't use the term "barstooler" and i'd like to challange that.

It's in no way an offensive term, just a phrase coined to describe a certain type of supporter. In the football forum, there is regular enough need to describe "people who watch their team from the living room or a barstool" but as can be seen it's a bit much to be writing out. It's not derogatory when used, though "barstoolers" themselves seem to take it upon themselves to get offended by it and it's no suprise to me that the MOD who requested that it not be used anymore, is a barstooler.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I think I explained my issue with the term pretty well on-thread.

And I am far from a barstooler, I've been a season ticket holder at Spurs for five years now and I average 25+ games a season. I do tend to sit on barstools, and have done in such far flung places as Eindhoven, Brussels, Braga, Prague, Leverkusen, Seville, Tel Aviv and Udine, but I usually leave my barstool and go to stadium in time for kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's in no way an offensive term

Which is why you're not the judge of the forum standards.

If it annoys the locals, then it's more than likely going to be frowned upon by the mods. Why allow grit to get inside a well oiled machine?

The mods are tasked with a responsibility to make the forum operate as smoothly as possible, for the majority of people. This means desicions will often be made that you might not agree with, but make it a more enjoyable place for others.

That's the way of the world I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Which is why you're not the judge of the forum standards.

If it annoys the locals, then it's more than likely going to be frowned upon by the mods. Why allow grit to get inside a well oiled machine?

The mods are tasked with a responsibility to make the forum operate as smoothly as possible, for the majority of people. This means desicions will often be made that you might not agree with, but make it a more enjoyable place for others.

That's the way of the world I'm afraid.

Well oiled machine?? I'd like to challange that then :D The Kursk is better oiled machine than the football forum at this stage.

So what is an accpetable term to use? Couch fan? Or if i was to use "people who watch their team from the living room or a barstool" would that be ok? As it's going to have the same effect, it'll just take me longer to type it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Maybe taking longer to write posts would be no bad thing.

If more people did it in soccer, we might have less bans :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

We're peacekeepers and while yes, to come degree I feel that re-education some posters into a tougher disposition would be the preferred approach, right now we unfortunately have no authority over peoples thoughts or emotions :(.

Until we do, the best approach is to try and keep the peace, if that means effectively removing the use of terms that are essentially intended to upset and inflame, well that is the route we must go.

It's a two way thing though, we will very much reciprocate in the other direction.

I think the real solution is if people try and make points without calling names:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anto McC wrote: »
    So what is an accpetable term to use? Couch fan? Or if i was to use "people who watch their team from the living room or a barstool" would that be ok? As it's going to have the same effect, it'll just take me longer to type it out.

Given the frequency which you seem to employ the term and the scattergun approach you take towards it, I'd say in your own case that the term Premier League fan would be ideal (or EPL fan for short)

For other posters, I'd be happy enough with the term armchair fan as it's a widely used phrase throughout the modern game, and has none of the invective associated with the word barstooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Given the frequency which you seem to employ the term and the scattergun approach you take towards it, I'd say in your own case that the term Premier League fan would be ideal (or EPL fan for short)

I've used it frequently in this thread, otherwise i'd rarely use it. I mean before the other day i hadn't posted in the football section in months so you can hardly accuse me of using it frequently.
    I'd say in your own case that the term Premier League fan would be ideal (or EPL fan for short)

But it incorporates, Celtic fans and fans of teams from Spain, Italy etc who also don't go to "their" clubs game so i'll use armchair fan if it i can.

Advertisement