Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Licence- U2 GIG

Options
  • 26-07-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

i was at the u2 gig yesterday, and i popped into the offo next door to quinns i was buying 2 cans of harp, i was been charged 6 euro!!! 3 euro per can.

i said it to employee he said thatS the price all the time, i said bS i buy cans of harp herE all the time for 1.50. he told me to leave which i did.

can shops increase prices like that cause there is a gig on?

i told him i was going to report him to the consumer affairs

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They can charge whatever they want. I don't blame them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Seems to be standard procedure everywhere when some crowd-drawing event is on. Everything goes up, booze, accommodation etc. In the end people remember the prices more than the event they went to see.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Fair enough, they can charge what they want, supply & demand!!!
    But it is a bit lousy for the non-concert goers, who are looking to their local off-licence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

You drink harp??

If people agree to pay when over charged, good enough of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

robo wrote: »
    Fair enough, they can charge what they want, supply & demand!!!
    But it is a bit lousy for the non-concert goers, who are looking to their local off-licence!!

When there's a big do on, many of the locals trek off to the next town to avoid getting stitched up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

glanman wrote: »
    You drink harp??

the odd time its a 5 week month , im broke till pay day, thats why i was buying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Is the off licence owned by Quinns? If so, they probably don't want people just buying cans and drinking out on the road instead of purchasing drinks in the pub. I'm not saying that's right or wrong but that's probably the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

NickNolte wrote: »
    Is the off licence owned by Quinns? If so, they probably don't want people just buying cans and drinking out on the road instead of purchasing drinks in the pub. I'm not saying that's right or wrong but that's probably the reason.

no its not.

i bought cans in it last week, i think i got 6 harp for 8euro , or some where near that amount.

correct me if im wrong, but did the pubs near the rds, get fined around 2 years ago for over charging on match day????

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

correct me if im wrong, but did the pubs near the rds, get fined around 2 years ago for over charging on match day????

Pubs have price lists outside / near to the door by law. Off licences don't.

Advertisement