Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 in croker

• 26-07-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Anyone go to see them last night, love them or hate them based on last nights performance they have cemented themselves as the best band in the world in my view nobody can come close in terms of live performances. The claw is mental, Kaiser Chiefs were also brilliant he is like a young bono just as mental. Not sure if it was just me or not but bono didnt seem to make use of the stage as much as he used to maybe old age is catching up.

I paid the nearly €300 for 2 tickets, bought legit through ticketmaster and i thought they were expensive, that thought went out the window after they came on, totally worth it. They completely blasted away the vertigo tour, just keep getting better and better.

Well done lads.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Bruce Springsteen and the E street Band, miles ahead

/Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Went on Friday. Thought they where pretty poor TBH. Something missing from the band that they had a few years ago that i can't put my finger on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Another U2 thread. Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I hear the stage is that size so Bono's head will fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Something missing from the band that they had a few years ago that i can't put my finger on.

Not cash anyway seeing as they're screwing the tax system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tony255 wrote: »
    based on last nights performance they have cemented themselves as the best band in the world in my view nobody can come close in terms of live performances.

I bet Muse can surpass them and Bruce Springsteen. Neil Young could too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

In before Degsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Mossy Monk wrote: »

Funny you say that one of the lads with me was at springsteen two/three weeks ago and was at the friday U2 gig and said the saturday night was up the top of the gigs he has attended, I think Kaiser Chiefs really kicked it off.

Never been into springsteen but will definitely attend one of those concerts based on what my buddy was saying he was on for like 3 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Saw them on Friday...thought they were amazing. The stage was mind blowing. Nobody does it better!!

Collie D wrote: »

For me i think it was the fact that bono was a bit more relaxed and stayed on the main stage, maybe that was because last night was the night when they were shooting the official DVD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Kaiser Chiefs were also brilliant he is like a young bono just as mental.

Couldnt agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Funny you say that one of the lads with me was at springsteen two/three weeks ago and was at the friday U2 gig and said the saturday night was up the top of the gigs he has attended, I think Kaiser Chiefs really kicked it off.

Never been into springsteen but will definitely attend one of those concerts based on what my buddy was saying he was on for like 3 hours

Springsteen is a legend

Collie D wrote: »

That may be true but why would you want to give this government more cash that you need to so that they can bail out criminal bankers, I would do the same as them if i could.

What other band as big as U2 would sell tickets starting at €30, they really give back to the fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd say it was fantastic as a spectacle all right - even if you're not into their music. I don't think they've done anything (bar the odd good song) of note since Zooropa but I'd love to have gone. Anyone I know who went said it was amazing.
    I know someone who booked her ticket online with some not well known but seemingly legit agency, and the ticket never arrived - anyone else hear of situations like that? Maybe it just got lost in the post... It's a bit risky to rely on stuff being posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    No.

I suppose it's all a matter of opinion. That said, I doubt Muse would have the resources to create a better, or even equivalent, stage show (in terms of effects, spectacles etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

last night was the night when they were shooting the official DVD

where you heard that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dudess wrote: »
    I suppose it's all a matter of opinion. That said, I doubt Muse would have the resources to create a better, or even equivalent, stage show (in terms of effects, spectacles etc).

Perhaps Muse can't afford the resources because they're paying too much tax.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps Muse can't afford the resources because they're paying the right amount of tax.:pac:

Fixed your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I'd say it was fantastic as a spectacle all right - even if you're not into their music. I don't think they've done anything (bar the odd good song) of note since Zooropa but I'd love to have gone. Anyone I know who went said it was amazing.
    I know someone who booked her ticket online with some not well known but seemingly legit agency, and the ticket never arrived - anyone else hear of situations like that? Maybe it just got lost in the post... It's a bit risky to rely on stuff being posted.

never heard of that, TM ireland introduced the e-tickets here a while back (they have been available in the states for years because i remember getting one for an nba game in 2005), always the best option imo

regarding their material, i ain't a huge u2 fan but their last two albums before the current one ie "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and Atomic Bomb have produced quite a number of big hits such Beautiful Day, stuck in a moment, elevation, vertigo and city of blinding lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Whats with all the U2 hating just because they are being clever with their money? They're dead right, i'd do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spectacle can sometimes disguise the fact that the rest of what is on offer may not be up to scratch. But they keep most of the punters happy and good luck to them. I am also pleased to see that reviews were positive considering how much money was shelled out on the gig. Having seen them on their last two run outs here, I can think of any number of bands I would sooner pay €100 or so to see. Regardless of spectacle U2 are not likely to be on any of my wish lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

is_that_so wrote: »
    I can think of a any number of bands I would sooner pay €100 or so to see. Regardless spectacle U2 are not likely to be on any of my wish lists.

face value of tickets on the pitch were €59, that got you kaiser chiefs and republic of loose last night, you ain't going to get that value anywhere else in this country this summer, i was at ac/dc a few weeks ago, support bands were shocking you would see far better bands in a pub on achill island on a thursday night and tickets for that gig were €85 to stand, the closest you got not being in the pit was further than anywhere in croke park, i got up to the barrier and ac/dc were like tiny dots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I paid the nearly €300 for 2 tickets,
    Jesus! I hope that was front row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

rossie1977 wrote: »
    face value of tickets on the pitch were €59, that got you kaiser chiefs and republic of loose last night, you ain't going to get that value anywhere else in this country this summer, i was at ac/dc a few weeks ago, support bands were shocking you would see far better bands in a pub on achill island on a thursday night and tickets for that gig were €85 to stand

If you perceive a band as not worth seeing it doesn't matter if they give away the tickets. My point has less to do with value and more to do with whether I could be bothered to see them at any price. That said I think I realised the last time I saw them that I have probably never much liked them as a band anyway. As I said there are many many bands I would choose over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Whats with all the U2 hating just because they are being clever with their money? They're dead right, i'd do the same

It's not that they're clever with their money, it's that Bono in particular is always telling governments to be more charitable and help the poor and starving. Governments rely on taxation to do this, so anyone avoiding paying tax and constantly criticising governments for not doing enough is a hypocrite.

If he stopped pretending to be some kind of saint, people wouldn't give a hoot how much tax is avoided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone who pays €150 for a ticket deserves to be ass raped tbh.

Plus I do believe that Muse would make U2 their bitches.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    regarding their material, i ain't a huge u2 fan but their last two albums before the current one ie "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and Atomic Bomb have produced quite a number of big hits such Beautiful Day, stuck in a moment, elevation, vertigo and city of blinding lights
    Yeah sorry, by "of note" I meant "of interest to me personally". I consider most of their output very bland since Zooropa. But they've recorded the odd absolutely cracking song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've been to many many concerts, and i would rate last nights, as possibly the best i have ever seen. I've been to springsteen and the e street band, and while they put on a super show and play for 3 hours, they dont compare to a U2 show.

I've never seen muse live. I am going to the O2 gig in november though, but c'mon, make U2 their bitches? get a grip.

btw, one of the lads that went with me last night is a metal head, and usually goes to metallica gigs, he was at the ac/dc gig there last month too. Coming out of croker last night, he said it was the best concert he was ever at, and he's not even a U2 fan (just likes some of their old hits)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lokimon

I was there last night I thought it was their best show ever in Ireland, and from what i've seen only surpassed by Madison Square Garden in New York.
    I think the claw is the best set up since Zoo Tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Lokimon wrote: »
    I think the claw is the best set up since Zoo Tv

What about the giant lemon? That was brilliant (apart from them getting stuck in it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

So what if U2 don't want to pay tax to Ireland? If I had the option I wouldn't. With all these cuts we're the ones getting ripped off so U2 are right. Not only that, but these gigs are likely to rake in millions for the economy. So three nights rake in millions for out economy, thats more than all the haters lifetime taxes added together could achieve.

So basically, what I'm saying is all the haters, you ain't as valuable as you think you are and U2 are bringing in more money than all of us, so grow up.

And btw, the gig was the greatest ever, and is that really the gig for the live DVD????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

vflhp wrote: »
    So what if U2 don't want to pay tax to Ireland? If I had the option I wouldn't. With all these cuts we're the ones getting ripped off so U2 are right. Not only that, but these gigs are likely to rake in millions for the economy. So three nights rake in millions for out economy, thats more than all the haters lifetime taxes added together could achieve.

So basically, what I'm saying is all the haters, you ain't as valuable as you think you are and U2 are bringing in more money than all of us, so grow up.

And btw, the gig was the greatest ever, and is that really the gig for the live DVD????
    haters? This is AH not Ricky fúcking Lake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

bronte wrote: »
    In before Degsy.

This thread won't see a reply from Degsy for awhile. He is probably paralysised with rage that someone paid €300 to see that twat Bono

I've been to many many concerts, and i would rate last nights, as possibly the best i have ever seen. I've been to springsteen and the e street band, and while they put on a super show and play for 3 hours, they dont compare to a U2 show.

I've never seen muse live. I am going to the O2 gig in november though, but c'mon, make U2 their bitches? get a grip.

btw, one of the lads that went with me last night is a metal head, and usually goes to metallica gigs, he was at the ac/dc gig there last month too. Coming out of croker last night, he said it was the best concert he was ever at, and he's not even a U2 fan (just likes some of their old hits)

Any chance you were on the pitch I remember seeing a bloke there in ACDC shirt going mental.

For anyone who is interested U2 in slane is on 3e at the moment great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

This thread won't see a reply from Degsy for awhile. He is probably paralysised with rage that someone paid €300 to see that twat Bono

I dont think they'll be paying 42 cents in the euro tax on that either.

Or fcuking levies or any other sh1te our pricks of a government are making us pay for their fcuk ups.

**** the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I like U2. In that regard it was a good gig.

Based on all the hype they've been building up for it though it really didn't live up to it. Bono talked far too much and keeps trying to flog his ideals on the world. Just play your music will you? If you care so much about xyz then give them some of your fortune, not some of mine.

What sort of song was that to finish on? If you're gonna do 3 encores then will you finish on a big song? Such an anti-climax.

And what sorta nonsense at the end with the screens and your advertising? No, I don't want to text kiss to a shortcode - now go away.

If you're gonna advertise things as 360 then find a venue that it works in, don't give us those same generic crap videos that you made before you realised you couldn't do it in CP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I went last night, and honestly it was the most amazing gig I've ever been to.

I was completely blown away by the whole thing from the show itself to the atmospher in the crowd.

I've a few photos posted HERE - I'm lost for words.

The gig just blew my sense's.

Brilliant & I'm hoping to pick up tickets for myself and my son for Monday's gig too. He's barely heard of U2 but I want to experience it all again with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

there last night, talented show by talented people..

€300 for others is 2 nights out when they get hammered and dont remember a thing. I will never forget that night last night and it was better than any other night that I went on the piss with the lads, so in my view it was cheap for what I got out of it.

P.S. I have no problem with people going out and getting hammered just putting it into perspective

Oh and just for the record it is reported that they there will be an estimated €50 million spent in dublin during the gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

I must have been at a different concert, cos I thought they were average at best.

Fair enough I was in crap seats (Davin Stand) but I though the sound was crap, too much Bono preaching (as normal) and I was pissed off that they didn't use the full 360 stage.

If they knew the full stage wouldnt fit Croker then choose another bloody venue and dont cheat your home fans.

35notout wrote: »
    I must have been at a different concert, cos I thought they were average at best.

Fair enough I was in crap seats (Davin Stand) but I though the sound was crap, too much Bono preaching (as normal) and I was pissed off that they didn't use the full 360 stage.

If they knew the full stage wouldnt fit Croker then choose another bloody venue and dont cheat your home fans.

Are you sure you were there at all?.

Most commentators agreed that Bono hadn't got awhole to to say at all compared to other times he's had a platform.

Lots from last nights gig on youtube for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Scrumdog

Was there Friday. I thought AC/DC a few weeks was one of the best ever, but Friday just blew me away. Feel so lucky to have been at the two best gigs of the year.

Scrumdog wrote: »
    Was there Friday. I thought AC/DC a few weeks was one of the best ever, but Friday just blew me away. Feel so lucky to have been at the two best gigs of the year.

You should'da been at AC/DC in the RDS, October 22nd 1982 ;)

Now that was a gig!.

'Bloody Sunday' from last night.

Are you sure you were there at all?.

Most commentators agreed that Bono hadn't got awhole to to say at all compared to other times he's had a platform.

Lots from last nights gig on youtube for anyone interested.

Yes, I was there. Maybe Bono didn't say as much as other times, but it was still too much in my opinion. I didn't pay money to see Desmond Tutu on a video screen or another video clip about Aung San Suu Kyi - I paid to see U2 and their 360 tour. Instead, I got at most, a 180 tour and some crap video political messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I paid the nearly €300 for 2 tickets

I'd never pay that much to see a band live, no matter who they are. Lovely way to treat your fans isn't it, charging them 150 Quid per ticket.

35notout wrote: »
    Yes, I was there. Maybe Bono didn't say as much as other times, but it was still too much in my opinion. I didn't pay money to see Desmond Tutu on a video screen or another video clip about Aung San Suu Kyi - I paid to see U2 and their 360 tour. Instead, I got at most, a 180 tour and some crap video political messages.

Probably just your sitting position so.

We had a mini Mexican wave going down at the Cusack Stand - Canal End, lots of cheering, singing & dancing.

Btw, muscians have carried political messages since time began so it really doesn't bother me. In fact last night made me more aware of the plight of Aung San Suu Kyi so for me it wasn't all lost.

Pity about your crappy seats, I genuinely feel sorry for you because I personally experienced the best gig of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

I picked up two pitch standing tickets for the monday night gig yesterday.
    60 quid for both. Can't wait! Bell X1 and The Script supporting.
    :D

Elliee wrote: »
    I picked up two pitch standing tickets for the monday night gig yesterday.
    60 quid for both. Can't wait! Bell X1 and The Script supporting.
    :D

Bring a light rain coat.

The people on the pitch got a wetting last night. But it looked great craic down there.

Probably just your sitting position so.

We had a mini Mexican wave going down at the Cusack Stand - Canal End, lots of cheering, singing & dancing.

Btw, muscians have carried political messages since time began so it really doesn't bother me. In fact last night made me more aware of the plight of Aung San Suu Kyi so for me it wasn't all lost.

Pity about your crappy seats, I genuinely feel sorry for you because I personally experienced the best gig of my life.

Like I said earlier, I think it was my **** seats that ruined it for me!!

I thought the older stuff with the crows interaction was fantastic -Bloody Sunday like you posted earlier, With or Without You, Pride etc.

I also liked the Bowie and Clash references.

I still thought the end was a bit of a damp squib - kinda fizzled out, no "big" song to finish on (crowd involved song I mean)

But don't feel too sorry for me, cos I'm going to give them another chance tomorrow night and have pitch tickets, so hopefully will be back to share your enthusiasm

• Advertisement
Advertisement