Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 in croker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was having a few drinks with a Floridian U2 fan club member last night who said there were excess tickets for sale after Fridays gig for 20quid, truth or BS?

Had always thought it was a sellout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It was very good fun but people saying best gig ever need to go to more concerts. They started off with a poor song and finished with a average one. When with or without you came on i thought to myself just end it after this and people will be going home on the greatest buzz ever, instead he finished on a mediocre offering. Some serious amount of shite he was talking too, hey bono, 90% of the audience probably thought Burma was a furniture shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

some amount of sad people spent most of the night with their phone up recording:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 !___A___!

soundsham wrote: »
    some amount of sad people spent most of the night with their phone up recording:rolleyes:

Not far from the truth. Good to have been there all the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

soundsham wrote: »

Did they ruin it for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Went Friday night & was in the nose bleeds in the Cusack/Davin Stand corners! You cant get much worse seats then that! The sound was perfect & you could see everything up there! Im not a fan of U2's newer stuff but Im not a one of these haters that have come along the past few years as it seems to be what the cool kids are doing these days! Anyway,just wanted to say it wasn't the best concert Ive being to music wise but the stage show was phenomenal,I was absolutely blown away by it!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Tony255 wrote: »
    Any chance you were on the pitch I remember seeing a bloke there in ACDC shirt going mental.

For anyone who is interested U2 in slane is on 3e at the moment great stuff.

No, i was in the lower cusack. Yer man wasnt wearing his ac/dc shirt, but strangely, ther was some fella in front of me wearing a madonna t-shirt!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Burkatron wrote: »
    Went Friday night & was in the nose bleeds in the Cusack/Davin Stand corners! You cant get much worse seats then that! The sound was perfect & you could see everything up there!

I've got tickets up there for tomorrow and actually thinking of selling them as I honestly don't think I'd enjoy being so far away. I generally don't like sitting down at gigs, may as well watch a DVD IMO. Have seen them plenty of times so know what I'm missing, that and I reckon the new album is garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

*puke*

That is all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Desmond Tutu = Fonejacker George

not a big u2 fan but love some of their oldies. I wasn't going to the gig but everyone around me - including my husband - were going and they went on and on about how great it was going to be so yesterday morning I decided, feck it, I'll go. I got two €35 tickets on ticketmaster. Was in Hogan upper.

My god, what a concert, it was utterly fantastic. I've seen alot of bands, going to gigs is one of my biggest interests and I can say that this was certainly one of the best concerts I was ever at. It was outstanding. My only gripe was that they should have finished on a bigger song but maybe that was just my opinion.

And bono didn't wreck my head as much as I thought he would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Anyone who pays €150 for a ticket deserves to be ass raped tbh.

Plus I do believe that Muse would make U2 their bitches.

Damn Straight

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

I was at the show Friday and Saturday and definately thought it was the best concerts i was ever at. I was on the pitch both nights. The stage was something else. I thought Bono was much quieter than normal but that isnt a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 antongiu

and anyone paying 300 quid for 3 days spent under the rain, walking into the mud, sharing dirty toliets with hundreds of other kids, trying not to be beaten or get his/her stuff stolen while avoiding the puke all over the place should deserve a prize, shouldn't he???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dalkey1987

am going to try to buy two tickets tomorrow for U2 for monday night. they are pre allocation tickets sold to the seller by Principle Management in Dublin..they are costing me €125 each for the Cusack stand, lower tier....does any one know anything about these ? are they kosher ? just wondering....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

antongiu wrote: »
    and anyone paying 300 quid for 3 days spent under the rain, walking into the mud, sharing dirty toliets with hundreds of other kids, trying not to be beaten or get his/her stuff stolen while avoiding the puke all over the place should deserve a prize, shouldn't he???

if muse were playing it would be worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kevinmcm

heh Muse are U2 support act in the States.

U2 were fantastic last night.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    if muse were playing it would be worth it ;)

although they were not at the oxegen i saw many kids paying 225 EACH to deal with all of the above ;)

pljudge321 wrote: »

Damn Straight

ok, good try...
    Now please look at this (year 1993)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5omeaIIcbc

antongiu wrote: »

Who payed 300 to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Who payed 300 to do that?

people on 3 day camping trip to oxygen

I don't think it was 300 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Collie D wrote: »
    I've got tickets up there for tomorrow and actually thinking of selling them as I honestly don't think I'd enjoy being so far away. I generally don't like sitting down at gigs, may as well watch a DVD IMO. Have seen them plenty of times so know what I'm missing, that and I reckon the new album is garbage.

Yeah their new songs are pretty sh!t, I was there on Saturday and any new song they played it was like only half the people where intersted, but once they played anything from their older albums the place rocked,
    The kaiser cheifs were excellent too a lot of people only came around half 8 and missed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

U2 need more cowbell.

and a mirror guitar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I don't think it was 300 euro

it was 230 pp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I have never heard of Muse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

U2 ceased being important a long time ago. Nowadays its just a flashy light show and nothing else. I mean who goes to a U2 show hoping to hear them belt out elevation or stuck in a moment?

also, lol kaiser chiefs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pal wrote: »
    el ow el

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Um...what? :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Didn't get to this set of gigs. Been at a fair few in the past, starting waaay back in the day. I wouldn't consider myself a fan as such and I think the lyric writing of late has been very clumsy and feels like a work in progress, but...

I think in the fullness of time they will be seen as one of the best live acts ever. I would even go so far as to say they're The Beatles of the stage(and that for me is a biggy) Yes The Boss is brilliant, but for consistency of brilliance live for the guts of 30 years they will be near impossible to beat IMHO. They are one of the very very few acts whose songs actually sound better live, sometimes significantly better. Oh sure many give a good show and an emotive experience, but an objective discernable betterment of the tracks laid down in the studio? Bloody few. Bono vox was well named. Like him or hate him(and god he can be a pain), he has one hell of a set of lungs and the possessor of one of the finest voices in rock. The notes the guy hits at the age of 50 defy belief at times.

Bruce is as I said great, but largely a cabaret act, relying on old glories. The Stones have been a cabaret act since the mid 70's. Dylan? Grand if you like a nasal polyp with a mic stuck in front of it. REM? Again a cabaret act not worrying the charts with new stuff. You could say the same of the vast majority of the "greats". Even if the current album is no longer at the cutting edge, they're still a force in the album charts with new material and one or two of the tracks are getting there. Compare that to any major act of the last 20 years.

I like Muse and quite a few other bands, but they don't have the back catalogue yet, nor may ever. So on balance I would still put them as the "biggest band in the world", on all fronts.

I do think they peaked live with the Zooropa tour. That was their Sgt Pepper so to speak.

As for their relevance in our own back yard? I can well remember a time in this country where big acts wouldn't even bother coming here. Thin Lizzy(a great band) were your lot as far as being able to point and say "they're Irish". The boomtown rats had a small moment but it was low key(Van the man, never seemed local to me anyway). U2 changed the landscape and IMHO were one of the catalysts for a new confidence in Ireland and the youth of same. They were truly international and you were putting the country on the international landscape long before the celtic tiger did.

1983 in Germany, where an Irish jersey would have been a bit unusual. Different times. Though is seems oul bono can witter on in dodgy German too.:D Again namechecks Ireland.

For that alone they made a difference and I can't honestly think of another single entity that compared(the Italia 90 footy team was a big one though). So I say fair play to them.

My longwinded 2 cents anyway

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cliff Barnes

Thie stage was a bit of a rip-off in my opinion though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Didn't think they were as good as everyone is saying. They were better than a lot of the bands I've seen, but, given the resources, I'm sure those bands could put on just as good a show.

I prefer the Muse shows I've seen :)

Would love to see them both in the US though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Plus I do believe that Muse would make U2 their bitches.

Judging by your bias I doubt you're in a position to judge.I've seen U2 three times and i've seen Muse three times, so i think can. Muse are no where near the level of U2 in terms of live perfomance. Matt Bellamy is literally a black hole of charisma, and although they are fine musicians and I like them they cannnot hold a crowd like U2 can.

Springsteen is the only other act to compare in concert, but they are very different so its an apples and oranges comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I was very anti-Bono and never understood the mass appeal of U2. Always thought they were a pretty average band who got lucky.
    I went on Saturday missed the Kairser Chiefs and got to see U2 come onstage. It would have killed me last week but have to say it was honestly the most amazing concert I was ever at!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

where are people getting tickets for 30 quid?! Not the biggest U2 fan but would def go if I could get them for that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

where are people getting tickets for 30 quid?! Not the biggest U2 fan but would def go if I could get them for that price!
    Touts buying too many tickets and then trying to get rid of them before the concert

Delighted they get stung

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Meh, wouldn't even look out the window if they were playing in my front garden.

Dad rock nonsense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Meh, wouldn't even look out the window if they were playing in my front garden.

Dad rock nonsense.

Do not insult dad rock like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Do not insult dad rock like that.
    I agree

Dad Rock always > Angsty teen rock/Emo rock..........actually im questioning if rock even exists anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

bryanjf wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen and the E street Band, miles ahead

/Thread

My thought exactly when I read the title of this thread.

I'm not a U2 hater, I like quite a few of their songs. But for me, I go to a gig for good music, not a fancy stage show so they can attempt to justify over priced tickets.
    A nice simple stage like Bruce's and the best music for the past 30 years, is what does it for me.

IMO, you aren't missing much...

I'm not a Bruce fan at all but i got tickets to see him last year and the man knows how to put on a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

mars bar wrote: »
    My thought exactly when I read the title of this thread.

I'm not a U2 hater, I like quite a few of their songs. But for me, I go to a gig for good music, not a fancy stage show so they can attempt to justify over priced tickets.
    A nice simple stage like Bruce's and the best music for the past 30 years, is what does it for me.

Over priced tickets!? I paid €90 for my pitch ticket at Bruce and €65 for my pitch ticket at U2! Both great gigs I have to say tho U2 was on another level for me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We had a mini Mexican wave going down at the Cusack Stand - Canal End, lots of cheering, singing & dancing.

*shudder*

Muse ftmfw btw.

• Advertisement

Over priced tickets!? I paid €90 for my pitch ticket at Bruce and €65 for my pitch ticket at U2! Both great gigs I have to say tho U2 was on another level for me personally.

I believe €90 for standing tickets is over - priced too, especially when compared to mainland Europe. But it's Bruce?!

But €150 (in some cases) for U2?! To me, that is just madness coz I'm just not big enough a fan at the end of the day. (If I got one of those €30 tickets, I'd be there in a shot).

For example, I'd pay the €130 to get a good seat to see Elton John's Red Piano Show in the O2, and I'd find it justified because I absolutely love him! (I'm not going though, coz I can't afford it:mad:)

It's down to preference at the end of the day, and when you spend that kind of money, you are ALWAYS looking for a way to justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

U2 are easily the best live band in the world, with Bruce and the E Street band a close second. Muse are an awful whiney horrible band and everything that's wrong with music nowadays. Exceptional musicians, terrible band.

I'm thinking of going again tonight, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to afford the rent if I do..

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

everything that's wrong with music nowadays.
    Exceptional musicians,

Contradiction much?

Exceptional musicians are WRONG? Wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I know plenty of brilliant musicians - doesn't make them brilliant songwriters. Being a good musician doesn't make you a good songwriter.

Muse are a second-rate Radiohead clone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement