Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heading to Africa & S.America soon, a few questions...

• 26-07-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

1. Does anybody know of a site that will tell me what vaccines I need for what country? Just a general information site, not a site that is trying to sell you their product.

2. I'll be in Africa during christmas. Has anyone been away on a RTW during christmas? What's it like? I'm sure I'll be fine, it's one christmas out of the ~80 christmases the average person has in their lifetime, but are there many other backpackers around for christmas?

3. I'm thinking of doing the quick 20hour weekend TEFL course. Obviously I'm a bit weary of it... a TEFL cert in 20 hours. Is it worth a $hite?

4. Has anyone here couchsurfed before? If so, where did you couchsurf? Any feedback on it? Do you recommend it? And do you generally just couchsurf for one night and then move on?

5. Banking. How do you bank and what's the best way of having access to your money while in developing countries? What bank do you recommend? Should I always carry a wad of US$ with me?

6. Has anyone done any jungle treks in Africa or s.America? Should I bring a load of hiking gear with me? And what sort of footwear do you recommend? I've heard people say the best general footwear is a set of converse runners. Others recommend super-duper 500e hiking boots.

7. Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance company?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hi

I think I can only help with 2 questions.

Vacinnations:

I think the best thing to do is look at a site like tmb.ie and see what they recommend and then research each vacine and make up your mind which ones you think you will definitly need. its your own health and the only person who can make the choice. Although for S.A you'll need the Yellow fever vacc and cert for entry to some places.
    We went to our GP and she looked at a special website and told us which ones its recommended and then let us choose and gave us info. Explained how likely each disease was(the internet told me many lies about rabies!)

Insurance:
    From looking around I think accident and general is good but i haven't tested this yet and hope not to have too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Hope I can help with some.

1. TMB your best bet, Yellow fever a must for the likes of Brazil, also Malaria tabs needed for some areas esp when in the jungle.

2.Yes I was in S.Africa just after xmas for new years was brilliant and loads of travellers around.

5. Transfere money onto your Visa card and use that for all transactions alot cheaper then using your normal ATM card, depends on which country for US$ as they dont all use it.

6. Not done much hiking but a must is insect spray for any Jungle activity

7. Ace insurance do a good deal, even gave me a refund when I came home a month early

Advertisement