Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bróg madness... again

Options
  • 26-07-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I went into the Bróg yesterday around 4pm with my friend to get a grand old cheap pint. I was served but the guy behind the counter wouldn't serve my friend because he wasn't in "casual," wear. He was wearing a tracksuit pants, just a run of the mill navy one. The guy serving said that he was in leisurewear not casualwear. I would of thought that it's your behaviour not your clothes that can get you refused but I was wrong. I know it's not the barman's fault but when is this ****e going to stop in Cork? I've lived away for the past 3 years and I'm amazed to think this **** is still going on...... Booourns!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Well you see, they can infer a certain sort of behaviour from a certain type of clothing. Also in a drunken state, people are more likely to start fights with people from different social stratums. So they don't mix 'em

Either that is his reason or he was just being a prick, but generally people do things for reasons.

Actually, maybe the barman was just being a prick. The prick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Because if some fella walks into your bar wearing a pair of tracksuit pants, there is a very high chance that this guy is a suck.

Plain and simple. Tell your friend to have some respect for himself and wear proper pants, in public.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's fair enough, I'd say. Most city bars wouldn't serve you in a tracksuit. If you tried to get in at night, they wouldn't let you in, so they have to consider the possibility that you'll stay there until close. As has been said, we infer things about peoples behaviour from their clothing, and tracksuits have negative associations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Tracksuit pants are for sport.

Why would any self-respecting adult where tracksuit pants in public? Because they are comfortable? Gimme a break, put on a pair of parachute pants then.

Tell your buddie to dress like an adult the next time he goes to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

At least you got served though. I once went in for a pint with a mate who was wearing treacksuit pants, and even though I was wearing perfectly normal jeans, we were both told to leave, unless we wanted to be barred. Mental. But like Faith said, its a pretty common practice in City bars, not just in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think the most important question here is why you were in the Brog in the daytime??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

turgon wrote: »
    I think the most important question here is why you were in the Brog in the daytime??? :D

lol because the pints are so cheap during the day i would say..

and on topic, i dont see why anyone would wear a tracksuit pants outside for anything so im not suprised he didnt get served but i bet it was the barman with the glasses, hes cool plays metallica for me whenever i ask... "acting like a maniac whiplash" :D

That's the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

That's the manager.

yeah he's sound.. hes always there during the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Well I'll be honest I'm shocked!!! Firstly at the dim witted responses to the OP. A person can wear what they want without having to subject to prejudice.It like telling a fella wearing a pink t-shirt he isnt allowed into the pub cos he might be gay and cause ructions by his demeanour and dress.
    Because if some fella walks into your bar wearing a pair of tracksuit pants, there is a very high chance that this guy is a suck.

Plain and simple. Tell your friend to have some respect for himself and wear proper pants, in public.

Why would any self-respecting adult where tracksuit pants in public? Because they are comfortable? Gimme a break, put on a pair of parachute pants then.

Are you guys for real? A person cna wear a tracksuit pant if they want,Theres many a time ive been in the Brog in tracksuit pants. SUre they were for originally for sport but what happens if the Liverpool team come to the Brog after the Dunmanway gay for a few pints wearing there team tracksuits would they be kicked out?

As for the comfortable issue, they are plus if your wearing a jersey, to watch a game on tv or something then it makes sense to wear a tracksuit pant hell you might even have the matching tracksuit pants to the jersey.

• Advertisement

Pubs are entitled to have a dress code. You are entitled to dress contrary to that dress code. You are not entitled to dress contrary to the dress code and enter the pub.

Very easy. Diagrams provided, on request.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Hazys wrote: »

or a soccer hooligan, they usually get served too

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mutul8

lol because the pints are so cheap during the day i would say..

and on topic, i dont see why anyone would wear a tracksuit pants outside for anything so im not suprised he didnt get served but i bet it was the barman with the glasses, hes cool plays metallica for me whenever i ask... "acting like a maniac whiplash" :D

Thats the manager Niall - and he is far from cool - the £$%£$%£$

Nope, Niall hasn't worked there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

It's a smelly **** hole. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Bill-e wrote: »
    It's a smelly **** hole. End of.

Best quote !

I have a pub standards policy and if a pub is a smelly hole, as the Brog is, then what does that say about the quality of their pints ? I wouldn't wear GOOD clothes in there !

See, there's prejudice everywhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Sorry now but I have to reply to that. My friend's sister plays for Cork and he was wearing a crested cork tracksuit pants as he'd been out to see her play, I was in jeans. I did look around when he said no leisurewear (a wide range I'm sure you'll agree) and in fairness most of the people I saw were in jeans. I didn't realise that everyone has to wear denim jeans going into a pub. You said there's a very high chance somone in a tracksuit pants is a suck, does that mean someone in jeans isn't?

I'd like there just to be a chart in places that are enforcing such a draconian policy i.e. Yes/Jumpers and jeans No/Tracksuit and "leisurewear." And for the record I know it's stinking, but it's €2.90 a pint!

DamienH wrote: »
    Sorry now but I have to reply to that. My friend's sister plays for Cork and he was wearing a crested cork tracksuit pants as he'd been out to see her play, I was in jeans. I did look around when he said no leisurewear (a wide range I'm sure you'll agree) and in fairness most of the people I saw were in jeans. I didn't realise that everyone has to wear denim jeans going into a pub. You said there's a very high chance somone in a tracksuit pants is a suck, does that mean someone in jeans isn't?

I'd like there just to be a chart in places that are enforcing such a draconian policy i.e. Yes/Jumpers and jeans No/Tracksuit and "leisurewear." And for the record I know it's stinking, but it's €2.90 a pint!

Best not to take the risk, no one want's scummies about. And in fairness, a scan of Pana on a Saturday afternoon will quickly provide you with the answer to what item of attire is the favourite of the filth.

Hmm still not convinced it's a good policy. It's pretty backward thinking, what if scumbags started wearing jeans!?

Hmm still not convinced it's a good policy. It's pretty backward thinking, what if scumbags started wearing jeans!?

Well, if you don't like the policy, go to another bar. You swear you own the place.

How about Waxy's? The Catwalk? They have no problem with leisurewear.

• Advertisement

I'm alright for Waxy's and the Catwalk thanks, not my kind of place. I thought the whole idea of a Cork City forum was to discuss topics about the city? I posted up their stupid rules, I never said I owned the place. If I did I'd clean the fecking place for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Day time drinking is all the rage in the Brog!! :p

I wouldnt say the Brog has much of a dress code, go in there any day/night and you'l see for yourself. Maybe the bar man just didnt like the look of your friend in general

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

wow thats odd i don't wear tracksuits myself but one of the buddies is a very reqular customer there and he'd normally wear tracksuit pants in there when he's in during the day don't think he's ever had a problem over them, usually with a soccer jersey and a shaved head too. actually all he's missing is a gold chain and a proper gache and you'd probably expect him to carry a knife....funny old world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I would prefer to be sitting next to a well kempt tracksuit fella rather than a dirty ****er in jeans and a grimey tshirt with long unwashed hair and a mangy beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If he had his pants tucked into his socks then fair enough, but I doubt he did though.

Probably just a case of Barman being a cnut.

Then perhaps you should pick a drinking establishment other than the brog ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The pints are brutal there though!! Go for the Beamish - only €3.30 all night long!!! And delicious.

Isn't beamish a stout though? Or is it a beer? If it's a beer I'll most certainly invest in some beamish in the future... that is to say, er, I'll drink it ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So I still this $hit still going on in Cork.....
    Typical Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

That is just genius thinking there!!

Advertisement