Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any choir that will have partially disabled member?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am delighted to have found this site. I am looking for a choir to join. But I have one big problem. Because of a chronic condition I have poor balance. Though well able to stand when I sing, I would need to sit now and then when my part is silent, to keep off dizziness and imbalance. All choirs I've seen seem to stand for ages without a break, nor do they seem to have disabled members. So does anyone know of a choir that would have a member that needs to discretely sit down now and then?

I have been a member of a church choir for many years singing soprano. I was also a member of the Goethe Choir many years ago and sang with them in the NCH. I am a Soprano, can sing in tune, and adore sacred choral music.

I attend as many RSCM events as I can, and after chatting to whatever conducter is there, he/she always seems happy to have me sit discretely once a Soprano part is temporarily over. I then pop up quietly in good time for my entries.

I've had singing lessons for three years with the wonderful Eimear Quinn and now that that has come to an end I would love to do some more choral singing apart from my church choir. I have been asked to join Dunlaoghaire Choral but again I couldn't keep up with the amount of standing that they do.

Anyone know of a choir that would have me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 carminaburana

Dear Peaches1,
    An SATB choir in Edenderry, Co. Offaly would love to have you on board, however, we realise it is a huge journey, but you would be more than welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Peach1

Thank you so much for that! It means a lot to me that you would offer.

But you're right, much as I'd love to, Offaly is too far away from me for a once a week journey.

I had become a little disheartened, and actually a bit angry. Why on earth do I never see a disabled person in a choir? Why not, when the disabled are meant to have equal access to all opportunities. I think I feel a cause coming on......

I sing really well and I'm good fun [when I'm not ranting :D] so I think I'd be an asset to any choir.

Anyway, thanks again. You've cheered me up. I wish your choir were closer. I'd be there in a minute.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I think it's often practice for choir members to sit during long silences, and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if you told the conductor beforehand.

As to 'no disabled people in choirs', while it does seem to be rare, I will say that one of the finest musicians I've ever met is blind, and regularly sings with choirs. Though you may be right that it's a cause worth advancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

If you're talking about who I think you are*, then yes. He's an absolutely super musician.

*Not James Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I really can't imagine the conductor of any choir turning down a good singer because of something so simple. :confused: Have you actually asked them in the past and been refused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MissNomes

Hello Peach1,
    Wondering did you get sorted singing soprano in a choir in Dublin?
    Regards,
    Naomi

Advertisement