Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A move to Galway

Options
  • 26-07-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am single parent of four children who is considering a move to Galway in two years (after my eldests leaving cert, and the wisest time, school related, for all of the children) it will all be dependent on house prices or possibly rental prices at the time. I have raised them so far in a rural location elsewhere in Ireland but we have never quite fitted in and I have realised that we would probably be better both financially for me and opportunity wise for them to be based in a city. I am just wondering if any of you have advice on areas in Galway preferably within walking distance of the city centre that I could start to look at property in. And if any of you grew up in Galway city or are raising a family there maybe you could give me an insight. All general comments are welcome too as i'm not 100% sure yet whether the move would be positive for all of us, as it is a little daunting. Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Well where would you plan on working, I'd look into that and then see where would suit. Is space an issue? Obviously you'll get a bigger house further out. Prices did not come down hugely here but lovely houses to be bought a little bit out alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Work can be hard to find at the best of times here in Galway imo anyway... Knocknaccara / Renmore / Doughuisce are three suburbs where you will find good competition between house prices I gather. Rent has dropped a bit here alright, no idea how things will be in two years. Good that you are doing your homework now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Confoozedalot

Well where would you plan on working, I'd look into that and then see where would suit. .

Due to shortage of jobs nationally and the fragility of them, I didn't think it would be wise to base my move on any particular job opportunity, thankfully my qualifications and experience give me quite a bit of scope, and it would be something I would look into closer to the move.

Just thinking maybe the house prices will dictate that I live in a suburb, I would prefer not though. Am very grateful for all of the ideas floating about.

Has anyone experience of growing up in Galway City?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

You would get a two bed apartment for just short of €200,000 close to the city centre or a house for less than that in Ballybane but refer to an existing thread for views on that area. Otherwise the prices for anything within walking distance of the city centre are still quite expensive. There is a great bus service from Knocknacarragh and houses have come down a lot there over the past 18 months and while it is a concrete jungle, there are a lot of nice areas. And it's close to Salthill whether that is a recommendation or not. Also houses have come down a lot out the Western Distributor Road.

Well what kind of house are you thinking of? As in 3 bed semi or 4 bed detached or bungalow a few miles out? I grew up here for the most important years of my youth, what would you like to know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Would you rather live in the centre of town? It's handy, but would it not be better for the kids to have green areas etc on the outskirts? Also, accommodation that would comfortably fit your whole family in the centre of town would be very expensive.

I'm from Renmore on the east side of the city and it's very family friendly. Loads of green space, good schools, shops, gym, 2 churches, beach, pitch and putt, cinema 5 mins walk etc.

It's very popular with young families and is very quiet but you can walk into the city centre in 15 mins if you're on the side of Renmore closest to town.

Have a search for property on daft.ie. Select Sales, then Galway City, then Renmore. Just looked and saw a 3 bed for 285k.

Good luck with the move. Hope it works out for you. Galway is the nicest place in Ireland (ok I'm biased but it's still true).

kraggy wrote: »
    Would you rather live in the centre of town? It's handy, but would it not be better for the kids to have green areas etc on the outskirts? Also, accommodation that would comfortably fit your whole family in the centre of town would be very expensive.

I'm from Renmore on the east side of the city and it's very family friendly. Loads of green space, good schools, shops, gym, 2 churches, beach, pitch and putt, cinema 5 mins walk etc.

It's very popular with young families and is very quiet but you can walk into the city centre in 15 mins if you're on the side of Renmore closest to town.

Have a search for property on daft.ie. Select Sales, then Galway City, then Renmore. Just looked and saw a 3 bed for 285k.

Good luck with the move. Hope it works out for you. Galway is the nicest place in Ireland (ok I'm biased but it's still true).

Thanks a million, really sound info, and yes, I like Galway too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

What exact ages are your kids? Will they continue to live with you (if they have ft school?). Teenagers are difficult creatures and moving kids who are 13 to 18 could be traumatic.

Think of your own teenage years when someone new moved into your neighbourhood or joined your school. Most still yarn for the old hometown and friends.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'm assuming you'll be renting. City Centre costs a fortune although presently there are heaps of apartments that haven't sold and are empty (but they're all 2 bed, three at the most). Doughiska has some of the cheapest accomidation and most regular bus service (every 15 mins). The East side of the city has quiet good infastructure in fact. Although the city centre (older suburbs) are really desirable (Shantalla, Claddagh) the rent is very expensive... that might all change though

Thank a million to all of you who replied, it has definately given me enough information to start planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

Old mervue is a good area, with good amenities and a great bus service. It would be preferable to Doughiska I would think, much more mature and more family friendly. Renmore is a really good area for families. Roscam is good but a little out and a newish area so not a lot of facilities developed yet. The Knocknacarra area can be a traffic nightmare in the mornings and evenings if you work in the east of city-where most people work. Ideally you would want to avoid crossing the city for work or schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why do you want to be within walking distance of the city centre? Don't assume that most of the work is there: unless you're in the hospitality/tourism sector, many many jobs are located in industrial estates around the edges of the city (mostly on the east side) that are not within walking distance of the centre.

Personally, I prefer the east side of the city. But there is a problem with lack of schools there: people have mentioned Doughiska, schools are planned for there (years after the houses were built), I there was agitation to get a temporary national school operating from Sept 09, but am not sure if it was successful. From a purely schools perspective, I'd think that the west side of the city would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

Be careful of Renmore - too near GMYT and you will find yourself neighbours with large groups of students who like to party a lot.
    A lot of Renmore contains rented houses - many are empty, a lot of antisocial behavour and joy riders in certain parts.
    Don't buy in Galway yet, house prices have a way to go, try and renting and see if you like the area first.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I'm a blow in so this is how I find Galway.

The negative is Galway is one of the more expensive places to buy and is well above the national average even to rent for that matter. So moving from a rural location may be a bigger finiancial commitment than you realise.

On the plus side Galway is a large town (small city) with all the amienties that any large urban area can provide but with a community feel/attitude. And people are very genuine and welcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

geem wrote: »
    Be careful of Renmore - too near GMYT and you will find yourself neighbours with large groups of students who like to party a lot.
    A lot of Renmore contains rented houses - many are empty, a lot of antisocial behavour and joy riders in certain parts.
    Don't buy in Galway yet, house prices have a way to go, try and renting and see if you like the area first.

Eh, I don't even know where to start with this...

Where exactly have you seen joyriding in Renmore? I'm here 31 years, born and bred, and NOT ONCE have I ever seen, or heard, ANY joyriding.

And though some students from GMIT live in Renmore, it's not party central as your post suggests. So to say to the OP that "you will find yourself neighbours with large groups of students who like to party a lot" is either fantasy or hearsay. Name me one estate or street in Renmore where this is commonplace please.

And point me in the direction of the anti-social behaviour as well. I've been looking out my window for a chance to take a hurl to someone for years but alas, the opportunity has never arisen.

Where exactly are you from? Have you even set foot in Renmore?

K.

PS, What the hell is GMYT? Galway and Mayo Youth Theatre perhaps? Maybe it was a street performance you saw and mistook it for "anti-social behaviour".

*kraggy picks jaw off floor in disdain/shock/laughter..*

I don't think Renmore is rough to be honest, find that post about joy-riding a wee bit disconcerting. But perhaps you know something I don't. I don't live there in fairness. I'd say rent for a year at least. And get a feel for where you most fit in.

Am going to head down at the weekend and check out some of the areas mentioned, Renmore sounds very promising. I think possibly at this stage (seeing as move wont be happening for a couple of years) I will just keep an eye on the prices of houses in those areas and chart which direction they are going, unless rental prices come down significantly it seems I will be looking to buy. The idea of renting for a year is a great idea just feel like it may be money thrown away. Does anyone know a family that would like to swap houses for a large five bedroom house in a very scenic area of Donegal??? (that would be a load of trouble saved lol) Thanks again to all i'm getting great ideas from this and i appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

If your looking at Renmore you can always tack on looking at Oranmore, granted this is probably a little far out for your requirements, but other than that should have most of what your after

Advertisement