Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

03 Avensis Cat

• 26-07-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

Just got my 03 1.2l petrol avensis back from a service, i have been told that it needs the Cat replaced at a cost of about 1K.
    I originally sent it for the service because the engine fault light was on. That has disapeared now.
    My question is, if I leave it as is will it cause any damage to the engine, or is there a cheaper way to get this fixed.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Second hand from a scrap dealer would be worth checking out. Avensis are a popular car so they might have one in stock..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ileno

Ye might look into that.
    Does anybody now a website that has a list of the spares held by scrap dealers. Heard of it last year but cant remember what it was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If you need a new cat try www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk . This link should take you to the Toyota Avensis cats they do but I couldn't find a 1.2l:confused: I got quotes from 150euro to 400 for a Ford Cat I needed and it cost under 100euro in the end from them delivered. On the on other hand delivery to Ireland (25pounds + VAT) for cats is via Tuffnals and they are dire, delivery had to be chased up and took about 8 days in the end, a lad came down are drive in a private car asked my name dropped the Cat on the drive and drove off :eek:

Don't think you can order online from Ireland but just call they've always been very helpful when I've used them - just got a RAD for 90euro delivered, cheapest here was 150euro.

If you search the web you'll find the same company trading under a whole load of names also on eBay, main parent is saf - sutton auto factors and www.buypartsby.com is another of their sites.

Edit> Just so you know I've no connection with them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ileno wrote:
    1.2l petrol avensis

Joke or typo? :confused: Even a 1.6 can barely propel it forward :p

Doh ye 1.6l

• Advertisement

Ileno, this might ammuse you or not ;)

Hi ttm,

:eek:Thats mad. So I should count myself lucky that I have a CAT..... even if it is dodgy:p

Ileno, forgot to say not to worry if the CATs foobared it won't damage the engine but will need fixing before your next NCT.

Worst case senario if it needs fixing, 300euro for a CAT from the UK (you could get a much cheaper one) and 200euro for a local one man band local mechanic to fit it and as it only takes about 30mins to take the old CAT out and fit the new one thats being a bit genorous on the fitting cost. I'd expect to do it for a lot less ;) 400euro MAX !!! Or get cheaper CAT 100euro plus 100euro fitting 200euro Hmmmm that sounds better? All you need to do is find a "decent" local mechanic.

Ah kool, so no big rush to get it fixed then. :D
    But does it effect the fuel consumption at all?

Was thinking about the NCT, only got it done a month or so ago, and passed no problem. I think that warning light was on when they were doing the tests. So maybe the CAT is fine, maybe the sensor is fecked:confused:

Advertisement