Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using broadband as a wide area network

Options
  • 26-07-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice here, as I'm not overly familiar with how to do this.

I have a customer who has two offices. There is an BB connection via the phone line at each location. Recently, he had problems with routers at both locations and I have replaced both routers for him. Everything is now working as before except that there was a link between the two locations via the broadband using Netdrive 4.1 to create a shared drive that could be accessed from the other location. This was set up by whoever previously looked after their IT and I'm not that familiar with the software.

From what I can make out, Netdrive has been used to set up a WebDAV server, which points to a location "83.70.xxx.xxx/shared". The IP address corresponds to the WAN address on the local router. However, I cannot connect to the location specified on either machine.

Can anyone advise me how to do this with Netdrive, or if there is any better way of doing this? The machines use a mixture of Win2K and XP Pro, and each local network is peer-to-peer, there's no domain server. I'm sure it's something to do with WAN IP addresses, but I'm a bit stuck and as one of the old routers died completely, I can't verify all the settings are identical. Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Have you forwarded the relevant ports on both routers? You'll need to find out which ports the software use and then manually nail these open.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Using a VPN would be more useful and secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

watty, that's not a bad idea. I'll look into that.

My main confusion is in the IP address I need to connect to. Is the WAN IP address specified in the router setup an address that is visible on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes, at least one office needs to be the "server" and have a Static WanIP

(well there are other ways, but not so good for a buiness.)

YOu don't need peer to peer, ANY computer (Windows or Linux) or a NAS can be designated the "server". A Domain controller only adds central list of passwords. NOt needed for a small number of PCs.
    Swich off file sharing on all other PCs.

A suitable Router, Linux SW on a NAS or added SW on one PC designated the Server can be the OpenVPN server.

I can't go into all the details here.

Advertisement