Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off on Brandy

Options
  • 26-07-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

I'd like to try and get into brandy, but I'm lost at to what brandy I should start off with? I've drank some Hennessy vs and that but when it comes to spirits I mainly stick to paddy etc... but I never really got into brandy and I would like to now. Any suggestions on a brandy for a beginner?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

My tip - try it after a meal, when you've had some wine. leave it warm up by cradling the snifter.

It is a digestive aid - it cuts through a rich meal
    but It's strong - the wine ( or other lower alcohol drink) takes the sharpness of the 40% spirit off and allows (me anyway) enjoy the taste easier than stone cold sober.

Obviously the dearer the nicer - like almost all aged spirits. I had XO for 11euros a glass before twas like nectar - even mrs Carawaystick thought it was gorgeous and she only drinks whiskey with coca cola...

Spanish brandy is an exception - they are allowed determine the age by the oldest brandy in the mix, not the youngest like most other spirits.....

I like Armangnac - It's from the south of France and it's a bit coarser than cognac but has more flavour. and there's more variety. but that's me.

I suppose you could get martell and hennessey in most pubs - then upmarket places might have more types but you could taste test the 2 types for a tenner and see what you think.

Brandy and Ginger ale is my all time hangover cure for when nothing else works...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Thank's a million Carawaystick, I really appreciate that advice!

If you can drink and enjoy a sip of neat whiskey, then brandy should be ok.

I had some hundred year old spanish brandy on my Honeymoon. Waiteress opened the seal on the bottle and poured about a quarter pint into a huge snifter. I though it'd be smoother than a baby's bum but 'twas harsh enough, but tasty - especially towards the end....
    Torres is the main Spanish brand. They have 5 and 10 year old I've seen about in bars here.
    It's sweeter than most brandy's though.

There's Courvoisier and Remy Martin are common brands of cognac ( a type of french brandy) widely available in most pubs too.

A bottle'd set you back between 25 and 30 euros here - so make sure you like the taste before buying a bottle that is only used to light the Christmas Pudding....

Excellent advice Carawaystick thanks a million again, I really do appreciate all that advice. Would you add water to your brandy or just leave it as it is, I know some people who add 7 up and baileys, are these mixers ill adviced or what way should one proceed in this regard?

I'd never add anything other than ginger to brandy and only then if I was hanging....

straight, no ice.

• Advertisement

Excellent, straight no ice, got ya!;) Thanks again! I know I keep saying thanks but this info is gold for someone starting off, and I don't want to make a balls of it and be put off of brandy.

Advertisement