Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killimer to Tarbert Ferry

• 26-07-2009 3:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭

I thought this would be handy as a regular hop over because sometimes I have jobs on in Foynes and thereabouts.
    Went on the ferry, asked for the price (expecting something in the region of a tenner) and was quoted €18 one way and €28 return.
    Needless to say this will not become part of my routing travel and even if I'm in Kilrush and my next job is Foynes I will drive.
    Is this just a tourist trap? Do they operate on the principle "Ah sure, that yank won't be back, but there's millions more of them, one born every minute in fact"
    Or am I just a cheap b*stard?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I would gladly pay the €28 not to have to drive the whole way if I was in Kilrush, but there's a multi-trip discount, http://www.shannonferries.com/fares/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

It's a family run business, it's a monopoly = they charge what they want.
    It is waaaay to steep , would only use it if it clashed with rush hour traffic in Limerick.
    I figure if they cut the price alot more Clare people would spin down to Kerry on a Sunday for the day and vice verse. Rip off merchants to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

There is a special deal that they do if you use the service often, can't remember what it is exactly, but it does work out quite reasonable, definitely worth enquiring about.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

Ya, I think its really dear too. We sometimes use it goin to motorbike rallies. Even tho da bikes take up very little room & there's normally a good lot of us, its €14 return. I know its not as exp as cars or vans but still.. In saying that I reckon its really handy if you live near Kilrush. We're in Ennis and some lads still insist on goin by ferry, but thats another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

trish990 wrote: »
    There is a special deal that they do if you use the service often, can't remember what it is exactly, but it does work out quite reasonable, definitely worth enquiring about.
    its only 10% or something like that, its very expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dont pay the ferryman!
    Dont even fix a price!
    Dont pay the ferryman
    Until he gets you to the other side :pac:

I used to take the ferry a lot when working at the Powerstation at Tarbert, mainly because I too nackered to drive, it worked out about the same in fuel and time driving to town.

As Cushla mentioned the ferry can be good crack and a time to stretch legs when travelling to a rally, I haven't been to No Hopers in years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

It's dear alright, but it beats driving through Limerick. And you have to consider the petrol and your nerves.
    It's kind of scenic and more holiday-ish if you use the ferry only now and again. As a regular route though I would even with the discount prefer that damn route through Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

palaver wrote: »
    It's dear alright, but it beats driving through Limerick. And you have to consider the petrol and your nerves.
    It's kind of scenic and more holiday-ish if you use the ferry only now and again. As a regular route though I would even with the discount prefer that damn route through Limerick.
    Roll on the motorway and Limk bypass tunnel, it could take another 20 minutes off the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

It's the 80/20 principle.
    If you drop your price by 20%, you can increase your business by 80%.
    Even with less profit per customer, you make more profit at the end of the day.
    Just goes to show that people here are so stingy and cute hoorish that they'd rather make less money at the end of the day than to give anyone anything cheaper.

Advertisement