Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Top 3 footy heaven ?

• 26-07-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

Robbie Keanes goal against germany. I literally did not know what to do with meself including turning the TV off at several points during the game ;-)

Vladimir Smicers goal in the CL final .. 2005. believe!!

Packie Bonners save vs Romania.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dave O Leary's Pen.

Cantona's Vs the Spice Boys

Ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Robbie Keanes goal against germany. I literally did not know what to do with meself including turning the TV off at several points during the game ;-)

Vladimir Smicers goal in the CL final .. 2005. believe!!

Packie Bonners save vs Romania.

Pretty much the exact same with the Bonner save or O'Leary goal being a toss up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Gerrard against Olympiakos

The Dudek save in extra time

Smicer in Istanbul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I met Vlad and Koller and Baros in Olomouc. Top bloke. was so happy to have made and impact at LFC. in his own words it was a parting gift :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Gerrard against Olympiakos

The Dudek save in extra time

Smicer in Istanbul

+1 but I would put the Smicer one second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

McAteer's goal against Holland

Gerrard's goal against Olympiakos

Keane's goal against Germany

They're in no pacticular order:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Thierry Henry Pen- last goal ever at Highbury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro00WwYB-RM

Freddie Ljungberg goal in FA Cup final against Chelsea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2YnsLrLPsU

David Beckham goal against Greece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvMpgyE25eE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Ole Solksjaer V Liverpool FA Cup Jan 99

McAteer V Holland Sept 01

Keane V Juventus Apr 99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Brian Laudrup sealing 9 in a row with a header at Tannadice in 1997

Gazza single handedly ripping Aberdeen apart for 90 minutes and scoring a hatrick to seal 8 in a row in 1996

Nacho Novo's Penalty to take Rangers to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

This season.

Ashley Young's goal to clinch a 3-2 win against Everton at Goodison

Zat Knight's equaliser against Arsenal at Villa Park

Agbonlahor's goal against Arsenal at the Emirates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Michael Thomas v Liverpool '89
    Houghton v England '88
    Bonners save v Romania '90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

+1 but I would put the Smicer one second.
    No particular order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sheringham vs Bayern

Solskjaer vs Bayern

Kiko vs Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Rogers vs Split.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

McAteer vs Holland has to be up there

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

1. UCD beating Athlone in the promotion/relegation playoff 2000/01

We needed a win on the last day of the season (can't remember who it was against) to avoid relegation from the Premier Division and duly obliged with a 2-1 victory. Athlone, who had been leading the First Division by quite some distance at one point, beat us in the first leg at St Mels 2-1 with the winner coming in injury time.

The second leg at Belfield was an unbelievable rollercoster of emotions. We scored inside the first few minutes thankfully which helped settle the nerves. We were all over them but couldn't extend the lead until the second half. Athlone equalised with a quality free kick with about 20 minutes to go and then we had to call on keeper Barry Ryan to rescue us with save after save in the dying stages.

In extra time the tension was unbearable and both teams were afraid to commit to try and get the winner. We got a penalty with 5 minutes to go for handball but Derek Swan missed, seemingly handing Athlone the initiative. However in the penalty shoot out Ryan was the hero once again saving two of Athlone's penalties and giving us a 4-2 victory. Amazing feeling that night.

2. Beating Derry in the FAI Cup Quarter Final 2007

Very nearly put this number one. We got the most difficult draw we could have gotten- away against Derry who were the favourites at the time to win the cup. We were missing our captain Tony McDonnell, top scorer Paul Byrne, left winger Derek Doyle (who broke his leg the week before against Sligo, forcing us to play Pat McWalter who had only recently returned from a ligament injury which had him sidelined for about 9 months), our best player centre back Alan McNally, left back Ian Bermingham (forcing us to move Conor Kenna to LB and play our 3rd and 4th choice centre halves, one who got injured before half time). We were missing more than that but can't remember everyone. We could only name four subs when seven was allowed.

Made the trip up on a Friday even though I had to come back that night and that I didn't give us any hope of winning the game. Derry were unbeaten in a couple of months since John Robertson took over and had beaten us 3-0 in the Brandywell a couple of weeks earlier.

We were simply magnificent. Sammo upfront played the lone striker role perfectly with probably his best game ever for the club and got the only goal of the game. Conan Byrne, who set up the winner, also probably had his best game for the club and along with Sammo were by far the two best players on the pitch. Brian King and Shane McFaul anchored the midfield brilliantly, with Kinger keeping Pat McCourt completely out of the game and he was eventually substituted with 5 minutes left. Defence was solid throughout and Quigley made a few really good saves when needed. Undoubtedly the best UCD performance I have ever witnessed and probably ever will.

Can't think of a third at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just reading these posts has made me realise I've somehow managed to miss all the major Irish footballing moments/goals.

Houghton vs Italy is about as good as it gets for me from an Irish perspective, although even then I was only 7 so probably didn't quite grasp the significance of beating Italy

I suppose mine would be...

Gerrard vs Olympiakos

Smicer vs Milan

Dudek's final penalty save

Not very original but there ya go...

Although maybe Gerrard's equaliser against West Ham in the FA Cup would be up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Recent times.

Macheda vs Villa.

Past times.

Solsjkear vs Munich in 99.

All time.

Giggs vs Arsenal in 99 FA cup semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

1. Solskjaer vs Munich
    2. Giggsy vs Arsenal
    3. Macheda vs Villa
    4. JT missed penalty in CL final
    5. Houghton vs Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Ryan Giggs vs. Arsenal, Fa cup semi-final 1999

Robbie Keane vs. Germany, 2002 world cup

Kiko Macheda vs. Villa, 08/09 Premiership

and of course

JTs Pen of the century vs Man Utd, Cl final 07/08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I had to go for five

1) McAteer goal vs Holland
    2) Keane goal vs Germany
    3) Gerrard goal vs West Ham
    4) Gerrard goal vs Olympiakos
    5) Dudek save vs AC Milan (still don't know how it stayed out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Bergkamps goal against Argentina in World Cup 98

Zidane's volley against Levercusen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Des wrote: »
    Rogers vs Split.

Ah yes. Nothing will beat that!
    Remember when it hit the net and the place exploding! Then when I realised it was Davie Scouse, that just made it better!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'll go for 5.

1. Alan Mcloughin v the North in 93. I remember just before the goal that muppet Bingham giving it socks to the crowd, delighted that it looked like his team were denying us a place in the World Cup. Remains the only time I've cried as a result of football.

2. McAteer v Holland, 2001. I was at the US concert in Slane, watching on the big screen. I've never seen so many people go wild. A day I'll never forget.

3. Wiltord v Man Utd, 2002. The night we won the league at Old Trafford. We scored in every game that year, an awesome season.

4. Vieira v the Spuds, 2004. Winnng the league at the Lane, very sweet. Unbeaten that season.

5. Bonner save v Romania, 1990. Amazing day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

1. A diving header I scored in during a PE match in fifth year. Timed and connected perfectly.

2. Scoring a tap-in in the shield final for our local under 13 team. Only trophy I ever won.

3. Managing to last a whole 60 minutes without puking last Sunday morning playing indoor football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Man City's Division 2 Playoff final against Gillingham,one of the best days of my life.From crying and punching a hole in the wall to celebrating out on the road in my boxers in the space of half an hour! Nicky Weavers celebration sums up the whole day.

Any time we bet United! Especially SWP's goal and celebration!

Ray Houghton vs Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Des wrote: »
    Rogers vs Split.

Nothing else close to this.

Beyond that, one of my favourite moments was Stuey Byrne scoring in Dalymount Park in '03. Shels had a big lead but Bohs had chipped away at it and frankly were probably a better side than us. They came to Tolka and murdered us, 3-1 and it was embarrassing just a couple of weeks ago, leaving to chants of "Can you feel it slip away", all this the season after they won the league in Tolka Park. Came to Dalymount and I really thought we'd no chance, we'd completely lost the momentum. Then Steve Williams pulls off a gravity mocking save, Stuey Byrne scores a crappy scrappy goal and Shels win 1-0 and go on to take the league to chants of "Did you feel it slip away". I think that match was the best atmosphere I've ever been involved in, used to have it on tape but lost it a while ago, would love to see it again. Atmosphere wise even Split wasn't quite as good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Danny Murphy v Utd at Old Trafford

(no particular order)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

2.Willie Bruton giving the Blues the lead in the FAI Cup final against Longford... The last 2mins though... :(:(:(

3. Jesper Gronkjaer's winner. Most important goal in Chelsea's history more than likely. Last game of the season. Had we lost, we wouldn't have gotten into the Champions League, costing us £30m. We were already in huge debt. As bad, if not worse than Leeds. On the verge of administration. Without the win, Abramovich wouldn't have bought the club. The rest is history! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

1. Andy Myler's second goal, a 35 yarder in Hogan Park in Limerick in 2006 to win 0-2 and seal our escape. Not one of the few Rovers fans there will ever forget it and there was no camera..

2. Sean O'Connor's goal in Cork last year 1-1 draw. A game that Rover shad been completely anonymous, rarely put two passes otgether, should've been thumped and then the Tuesday night trip was all worth it..

3. Twigg against Bohs in Tallaght. Rovers had no right to draw that game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

1. Is Gascoigne going to have a crack? He is you know.....OHHHHHHHHH I SAY!

2. Aaron Lennon's equaliser at the Death Star in the 4-4, all the sweeter cos we'd stayed until the end.

3. Bonner/O'Leary vs Romania, me and the old man jumping around the sitting room celebrating but trying not to make any noise as the aul one was in bed sleeping before a night duty. Very surreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Im torn between Ian Hartes penalty sending England home in the 2002 semis or the Jason McAteer solo run on goal when we beat Brazil in the final ;)

tbh while everyopne here says Smicer I think theres something more iconic about Gerrards opener in the 05 CL final. More the actual aftermath of the goal itself, waving his arms at the players, the fans, demanding they realise it aint over yet, getting them riled. Truly a stand up and be counted captains contribution if ever you saw one.

Personally it would, of course, have to be the Bonner save/ O Leary goal in 1990 (and jesus the editing of the Reeling in the Years clip is epic :pac: Music wise etc)

Have to say this must be one of my favourite international goals, McFadden in Paris. The Scots were doing well but werent expecting better than a draw at most, and then this

Ridicilous :pac:

The Turkish comebacks in 08 were all good, but the final kick of the game one vs Croatia, having a laugh! Jaw dropping to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

In no particular order:

Riise freekick vs Man U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8FlplfGTpY

Stevie G vs Olympiakos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM5XP-Ps7tk

Henry's beauty vs Man U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbASd5CU3H8

Robbie Keane v Germany

Ole v Bayern Munich

John Terry missing that peno in the CL Final:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Houghton v England in 1988. I'd ran away to London that summer and it was extra sweet to watch it there. Awesome day.

Alonso scoring the penalty rebound in Istanbul, the climax of a ridiculously emotional 7 minutes.

Robbie Keane against Germany in 2002 is miles ahead in first though. We would have been effectively first team out of the World Cup as early as Day 6 if it wasn't for that goal, he got us another 10 days of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very tough question.

In general -

1. Shels winning the title in 2006. I left my college graduation party to be in Tolka that night. Great buzz celebrating on the pitch in my suit!

2. Ireland at the World Cup - collectively amazing.

3. Bergkamp v Argentina - Wow. Just wow.

City -

1. Dickov/Weaver - The 1999 Division 2 Playoff Final. My 14 year old slef was in tears at 89 mins. They were a different kind of tears an hour later.

2. Signing Robinho - A simply ridiculous signing for us completely out of left field. Should never have happened really, and it kept a smile on my face for weeks after.

3. Winning at Old Trafford - A fantastic performance and result, particularly given the occassion and that two absolute turds bagged the goals.

Advertisement