Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Strong Lifts 5x5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Strong Lifts 5x5I have reset all my lifts down in weight due to my inforced absence from the gym over the last 2 weeks or so

Back squat:
    2 x 10 x Air Squats (to loosen up)
    1 x 5 x 40kg (warm up set)
    1 x 5 x 45kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 50kg (work sets)

Standing Press:
    2 x 5 x 20kg (warm up sets with just the Oly bar)
    1 x 3 x 30kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 35kg (work sets)

Dead Lift
    1 x 5 x 50kg (warm up set)
    4 x 5 x 55kg (work sets)

Power Clean practice
    1x 5 x 20kg (warm up sets with just oly bar)
    4x 5 x 30kg (work sets)

Wide Grip Chinups - palms facing away: 3 to fail(10, 7, 7)

Tricep Exercises

Close Grip BP: 3 x 8 x 50kg
    Dips: 3 to fail (20, 15, 12)
    Push Downs: 3 x 10 x 50kg

Notes:

Squats were pretty easy and back felt ok while coming up with the weight. Also that annoying niggle I had in my grion is gone :)

Standing Press felt really easy. I had expected to struggle more with this and was pleasantly surprised.

Dead Lifts again were easy and no problem with my back, so happy with that.

Pullups as expected have dropped a little in the number of reps I could get :( Hopefully I will get back to and beyond where I was a few weeks back pretty quickly.

Power Clean. I am still just trying to get teh hang of getting the bar from above my knee to the rack position correctly. Still think I mostly muscle clean it. Hopefully practice will make it maybe not perfect, but acceptable.

Tricep Exercises were all challenging and I had serious DOMS the next day in my legs and tricrps :)

The man thing is that my back is still ok. No adverse reaction to lifting weight again so happy with that.

Cardio day

Spin Class: 45 minutes (intervals and Hills) plus 25 minute hard warm up

Abs & Core
    Cable Crunch:
    3 x 15 x 68kg
    Reverse Cable crunch: 3 x 15x 63.2kg
    Wood Choppers: 3 x 10 each side 36.2kg (low to high)

Back Hyper Extensions: 3 x 12 x 5kg
    Glute & Ham Sit-ups: 3 x 12 x 5kg

Prone Bridge: 5 minutes, shifting positions

Again enjoyed workout and still no reaction with my back :)

Strong Lifts 5x5

Again, my weights have been reset lower due to my inforced absence from the gym due to my back injury.
    Back Squat
    1x 10 x Air Squats (to loosen up)
    1 x 4 x 50kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 55kg (work sets)

Bench Press
    1 x 4 x 50kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 60kg (work sets)

Straight leg Dead Lift
    4x 5 x 50kg (work sets)

Inverted Rows
    3 sets to failure (15, 10, 10)

Push-ups
    3 sets to failure (40, 22, 17)

Workout time: 60 mins

Biceps
    Seated DB Curls
    1 x 20 x 12kg (10 curls to each side)
    1 x 16 x 12kg (8 curls to each side)
    1 x 14 x 12kg (7 curls to each side)

Hammer Curls
    3 x 16 x 10kg (8 curls to each side)

Bicep 21's
    (Actually only 18's ;))
    3 x 6 x 25kg

Workout Time: 25 minutes

Hams & Glutes

Reverse Hyper Extensions
    3 x 10 x 10kg

Workout Time: 5 minutes

Notes:

Squats again were fairly easy and my back was once again fine while coming up under the weight.

Bench Press felt really good and strong.

Straight Leg DL I was a little worried about as this is the lift I credit with my recent back trouble. However I had no problems. I just paid more attention to my form, which seemed to be ok.

Inverted Row was ok. Slightly down on what I was doing pre injury, but I suppose that was to be expected. As Arnie says "I'll be back"

Pushups again were slightly down on what I was doing pre injury. But hopefully from now on the only way is up... baby :)

Bicep exercises were good. Got a good burn in my biceps.

Reverse Hypers I just threw in to make sure that my hammies and glutes are not being neglected due to the squats and deads.

And still my back is Ok. It feels really good to be back in to the swing of things again

Cardio day

Spin Class: 40 min Advanced spin. Intervals and Hill climbs

Abs & Core Circuit

Slow situps: 2 x 20
    Weighted Crunches:
    2x 20 x 10kg
    Oblique Crunches:
    2 x20 (10 per side)
    Weighted Situps: 2 x 15 x 10kg
    Russian Twists: 2 x 30 x 7.5kg (15 per side)
    Reverse Crunches with vertical leg extension: 3 x 15
    Dragon Flags: 2 x 8

Back Hyper Extensions:
    3 x 12 x 6kg

Glute/Hamstring Situps:

3 x 12 x 6kg

Notes:

Back still ok, though did feel tired while doing the glute and hamstring sit-ups. No problem with back today, so happy about that.

The parts of my body most affected by my two week enforced layoff were my biceps, triceps and abs. Abs session tonight really burned, especially the reverse crunches and dragon flags. I had expected my legs to feel worse than they did. Was surprised and glad that they were ok.

Strong Lifts 5x5

Warm up with 20 mins on Cross Trainer

Back squat:
    1 x 5 x 45kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 57.5kg (work sets)

Standing Press:
    1x 5 x 20kg (warm up sets with just the Oly bar)
    1 x 5 x 30kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 37.5kg (work sets)

Dead Lift
    4 x 5 x 67.5kg (work sets)

Power Clean practice
    1x 5 x 20kg (warm up sets with just oly bar)
    4x 5 x 30kg (work sets)

Wide Grip Chinups - palms facing away: 3 to fail(12, 8, 7)

Workout Time: 60 mins approx

Tricep Exercises

Close Grip BP: 3 x 8 x 50kg
    Push Downs: 3 x 10 x 50kg
    Floor tricep Extensions:
    1 x 10 x 17kg
    1 x 10 x 19.5kg
    1 x 10 x 22kg
    1 x 10 x 24.5kg

Workout Time: 25 mins approx

Notes:

Squats were pretty ok. Starting to become challenging again. Still no problem with back.

Standing Press is also getting challenging. Almost back to where I was before I hurt my back.

Dead Lift felt really tough wasn't sure why until I started to strip the bar after my set. Discovered that I had used 15kg plates instead of 10kg, so I had been lifting 67.5kg rather then the 57.5kg I thought I was lifting.

Pull-ups were ok. One or two reps more then last time, so happy with that.

Cleans seem to be coming on. Though I am still not too sure of my technique. Started doing the complete lift from the floor. This was really tiring, in a good way.

Tricep Routine was changed slightly as the dip station was busy, so I swapped my dips for laying tricep extensions on the floor using a 17kg straight bar. Felt this change in the way of DOMS the next morning.

All in all a good workout and back is holding up so pretty happy.

• Advertisement

Scheduled Rest Day and also Blood Platelet Donation

Extra Rest Day :)

Scheduled day off as you are advised not to do anything strenuous for at least 24 hours after blood platelet donation.

Strong Lifts 5x5

Warm up with 20 minutes on Cross Trainer

Back Squat
    1x 10 x Air Squats (to loosen up)
    1 x 4 x 55kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 60kg (work sets)

Bench Press
    1 x 4 x 55kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 62.5kg (work sets)

Straight leg Dead Lift
    4x 5 x 52.5kg (work sets)

Inverted Rows
    3 sets to failure (18, 12, 11)

Push-ups
    3 sets to failure (39, 22, 17)

Biceps
    Seated DB Curls
    1 x 20 x 12kg (10 curls to each side)
    1 x 16 x 12kg (8 curls to each side)
    1 x 14 x 12kg (7 curls to each side)

Hammer Curls
    3 x 16 x 10kg (8 curls to each side)

Bicep 21's

3 x 7 x 25kg

Workout Time: 25 minutes

Forearms

Reverse Curl: 3 x 8 x 25kg
    Reverse Wrist Curl: 3 x 8 x 10kg
    Wrist Curl: 3 x 8x 25kg
    Hammer Twists: 3 x 8x 10kg

Workout Time: 18 minutes

Notes

Squats
    felt good. I also do sets of 5 air squats between each work set. Just trying to get the body use to squatting and practicing form without weight.

Bench Press was good. Getting back to where I was before back injury. Almost made a similiar mistake to my DL error last week where I added more weight on to the bar than I thought at the start. Pushed out 4 reps of 72.5kg. Felt really hard. This would be body weight for my.

SLDL was good. Intended to do 3 x 5 x 52.5kg but ended up doing 5 x 5 instead as I was in teh groove and it was going well.

Inverted Rows were a little better than last time (rep wise) so hsppy with that.

Push-ups was about the same as last time. I was one rep short in the first set. Other two sets were identical.

Bicep & Forearm exercises just added to do a bit of direct exercise on these muscles

Cardio day

Spin Class: 45 minutes (intervals and Hills) plus 20 minute easywarm up

Abs & Core
    Cable Crunch:
    3 x 15 x 68kg
    Wood Choppers: 3 x 10 each side 36.2kg (low to high)

Back Hyper Extensions: 3 x 10 x 7.5kg
    Glute & Ham Sit-ups: 3 x 10 x 7.5kg

Strong Lifts 5x5

Warm up with 20 mins on Cross Trainer

Back squat:
    1 x 5 x 55kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 62.5kg (work sets)

Standing Press:
    5 x 5 x 40kg (work sets)

Dead Lift
    2 x 5 x 50kg (warm up set)
    4 x 5 x 65kg (work sets)

Power Clean practice
    1 x 5 x 20kg (warm up sets with just oly bar)
    5 x 5 x 35kg (work sets)

Wide Grip Chinups - palms facing me: 3 to fail (12, 8, 7)

Tricep Exercises

Close Grip BP: 3 x 8 x 52.5kg
    Weighted Dips: 4 to fail x 10kg (12, 9, 7, 5)
    Floor tricep Extensions:
    1 x 10 x 20kg (Warm up with Oly bar)
    4 x 10 x 27.5kg (work sets)
    Push Downs: 3 x 10 x 58kg

Workout Time: 25 mins approx

Notes:

Squats were prety good. I was watching a "Riptoe" video on Youtube yesterday about squatting and he was pointing out about "Hip Drive" when coming out of the hole, which I was not really doing. So I experiemented with this technique last night and it does make a difference. Feel the exercise more in the hamstrings. Also coming up this way seemed to make the weight a little easier to raise. Still do a set of 5 air squats between each weighted set. just hoping to drill home the technique. I have also found that I am squattign deeper since I started doing these air squat sets.

Standing Press was also prety good. Felt strong and could have gone heavier. Resisted the urge though as it would only mean that I would have to reset quicker.

Dead lifts were good. Fairly challenging, but in a good way. After my mistake of adding too much weight (extra 10kg) last time, I dropped it back to 65kg (going by schedule, it should only have been 60kg tonight) and got all reps reasonably easily. DL still remains my favorite lift.

Power Cleans were pretty much the same as last time. Put an extra 5kg on the bar and kicked out 5 sets of 5 fairly easily. Proper technique? who knows, I try. Will be seeing a Physio/PT on Friday regarding flexability, so might ask him to check out my technique.

Pull-ups tonight were performed with plams facing towards me (supinated grip I think) and were pretty good. I keep my form strict and drop down to straight arms at the bottom of the lift, pause for a second and then pull my self back up, bringing my chin over the bar.

Tricep Exercise were good. The floor extensions with the Oly bar instead of the eazi bar are quite tough. Triceps feeling it a little today :)

Back still holding out, no issues thankfully. So happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

man i would be stunned if the physio helped you with your power clean!

Hope you are foam rolling to help improve flexibility

Hi Transform

He is a physio and Personal Trainer. His name is Brian Thomas and he is based in Dun Laoghaire. See http://www.biofitsystems.com/about.html

I was with him two weeks ago after I tweaked my back doing SLDL's badly :rolleyes: and was really impressed with him. I have a session booked with him on Friday to work on some flexibility stuff. So I was thinking I would ask him. If he is not familiar with the power clean technique then it's no big deal, I will try and find someone else to check my form at some point.

For me it is not as straight forward as for other folks as I was born with a clubbed left foot and had a number of operations as a child to straighten it out. This was successful, but from spending so much time in plaster and I reckon from having bones broken and reset, I have little or no flexibility in my left ankle. So when I rack the bar, I cannot front squat. I need to rack it with minimal knee bend. At the moment I think I more muscle clean the bar to the rack position then anything. Maybe with my ankle problem this is all I will be able to do.

I will be picking up a foam roller on Friday while I am in Dun Laoghaire as there is a sports shop there Irish Fit (http://www.irishfit.eu/foamroller.html) where they are available. I was thinking of picking up a standard roller along with one of those "Grid" trigger point rollers and will use these with my flexibility routine.

Best Regards and thanks for the input,

M

Cardio day

Spin Class: 45min Advanced spin. Intervals and Hill climbs

Abs & Core Circuit

Slow situps: 2 x 20
    Weighted Crunches:
    2x 20 x 10kg
    Oblique Crunches:
    2 x20 (10 per side)
    Weighted Situps: 2 x 15 x 10kg
    Russian Twists: 2 x 30 x 7.5kg (15 per side)
    Reverse Crunches with vertical leg extension: 2 x 15
    Dragon Flags: 2 x 8
    Prone bridge (wide arms): 3 x 40 seconds

Reverse Hyper Extensions:
    1 x 10 x 10kg2 x 10 x 12.5kg

Workout time:
    30 minutes

Notes:

Legs feeling tired all week, especially noticeable during spin classes. I wonder if squatting and dead lifting 3 times each week is the cause? Will keep an eye on this.

Back still good, no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

hey builder, you should probably drop the deadlifts back to 1 set now. squatting and deadlifting for multiple sets on the same day will get very hard. throw in the spin on top of that and something will have to give.

Hi Bigstar

I have been telling myself this all week, but on the other hand I really REALLY like dead lifting :D

I think that the problem is that I have added in SLDL's to the workout A that should not have DL's and also the fact that I am doing 5x5 of each DL type :rolleyes:

Did I mention that I REALLY like dead lifting :)

Am only noticing it in spinning, top of legs (Quads & Hams) feel tired.

Maybe I will drop the SLDL's from workout A and then alternate between DL's and SLDL's in workout B and see how I get on.

Do you think that you would get much out of a single set of DL's as it does not sound much to me, even if I was doing 1 set of 5 rep max.

Best Regards,

M

well if you try one set of deads at max or near max weights youll notice the difference, they wont be just challenging theyll be very hard, its a very tough lift. your deadlift should be more than your squat, which yours isnt atm. id say go a bit heavier and for the one set and see how it feels.

i just dont know how clever it is doing than much volume that often on deads, its probably light enough now but when its gets heavy, it will really run you into the ground. just my 2c but youll know your own body and what it can take. i love deadlifting but id could never do that much.

SLDL's probably aint helping but again you should know how you feel. i wouldnt switch between SLDL and deads yet youll get more out of the deads than if you rotate them, just reduce your volume a little. as far as iknow stronglifts is just the one set, its the same with starting strength and its for a good reason.

good luck with it, but if your getting injured then maybe have a look at what your doing. it seems a lot.

bigstar wrote: »
    well if you try one set of deads at max or near max weights youll notice the difference, they wont be just challenging theyll be very hard, its a very tough lift. your deadlift should be more than your squat, which yours isnt atm. id say go a bit heavier and for the one set and see how it feels.

I will try increasing the weight and dropping the sets to one and see how it goes. My DL and squat are pretty even at the moment as I started at around the same weight when I reset a couple of weeks ago (due to injury). But I should as you say increase further with the DL then the squat before I have to reset again, which will make me more "normal"
    I just dont know how clever it is doing than much volume that often on deads, its probably light enough now but when its gets heavy, it will really run you into the ground.

This is me all over. I love feeling shattered after a session. Makes me feel like I have done something :) I hate leaving the gym feeling I haven't done enough because I still feel fresh.
    just my 2c but youll know your own body and what it can take. i love deadlifting but id could never do that much.

I think my body, legs anyway agree with you. I think they might be telling me to cop on
    SLDL's probably aint helping but again you should know how you feel. i wouldnt switch between SLDL and deads yet youll get more out of the deads than if you rotate them, just reduce your volume a little.

Will drop SLDL for now and drop the sets of DL's also.
    as far as I know stronglifts is just the one set, its the same with starting strength and its for a good reason.

True. I have fairly basterdised the Strong Lifts program to be honest, which the site advises against. This was mostly due to the fact that at the start I had gone from doing dis-oranised but heavy sessions to what seemed like really easy sessions. This made it feel like I was not doing enough in the gym.
    good luck with it, but if your getting injured then maybe have a look at what your doing. it seems a lot.

As I said this week I definately notice my legs are not as fresh or recovering as quickly as before my two week of due to my tweaked back.

The only real changes I have made to my routine since I started back are
    • I added a 20 minutes interval session on the cross trainer as a warm up prior to starting to lift. Physion advised that I should be warming up with more than just warm up sets, so I chose the cross trainer. I have to say I do think it is easier squatting after the cross trainer session.
    • I added in the SLDL's to workout A, which should not include any form of DL.
    Wasn't/am not sure whether it's just my legs getting used to the extra load or if my body is telling me ot back off, and I chose to think I just had to allow my legs adjust :D

I will re-adjsut the routine back to closer the original and see what happens. Definately do not want to be out of action due to either injury or over training

Best Regards & Thanks for the input.

M

This is me all over. I love feeling shattered after a session. Makes me feel like I have done something :) I hate leaving the gym feeling I haven't done enough because I still feel fresh.[/COLOR

True. I have fairly basterdised the Strong Lifts program to be honest, which the site advises against. This was mostly due to the fact that at the start I had gone from doing dis-oranised but heavy sessions to what seemed like really easy sessions. This made it feel like I was not doing enough in the gym.

i know you started off really light which is sensible but if you feel you can go up by 5kg or so then do. if its still easy for you theres no harm in going for a little more.

i started going to WW again this week so ill look out for you up there this weekend.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

definitly agree with bigstar here, i was a bit big headed when i was doing the starting strength/strong lift theory so i increased deadlift pretty quick and i was doing 3x5, soon enough it just gave out :D, when you get to a tough weight 1x5 will be plenty :)

Strong Lifts 5x5

Warm up with 16 minutes Intervals on Cross Trainer
    (1min level10/1 min level 14)

Back Squat
    1 x 3 x 55kg (warm up set)
    1 x 4 x 60kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 65kg (work sets)

Bench Press
    1 x 5 x 55kg (warm up set)
    1 x 4 x 60kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 65kg (work sets)

Inverted Rows
    3 sets to failure (16, 14, 14)

Push-ups
    3 sets to failure (42, 25, 22)

Biceps

Seated DB Curls (Not alternating)
    3 x 10 x 10kg

Bicep 21's
    3 x 7 x 25kg

Hammer Curls (Not alternating)
    3 x 10 x 10kg

Close Grip Ezi-bar Curls
    3 x 10 x 25kg

Workout Time: 35 minutes

Notes:

Squats
    were good. Making sure that I am breaking from the hips and not my knees and also using "Riptoe's" hip drive makes a difference. Still doing a set of 5 air squats between weighted sets.

Bench Press was tough. I got all my reps in each set, but the last 2 reps of the 4th & 5th set were difficult.

SLDL's have been dropped from this workout due to legs feeling heavy all week.

Inverted Row was ok. Slightly down in the first set, but also up a little in the 2nd & 3rd. So all in all happy enough with that.

Pushups were also Ok. Managed a few more reps in all three sets compared to last time, so happy.

Bicep Exercises

Seated DB curls & 21's
    were done as a super set. Really struggled with the last set of 21's :).

Hammer Curls were good. Have switched from doing alternating seated and hammer curls to doing both arms together. Last 2 rep of last set were really hard

Close Grip Ezi-curls I just threw in as I had seen someone else doing them and I wanted to try them, as I use a wider grip with the 21's.

• Advertisement

i know you started off really light which is sensible but if you feel you can go up by 5kg or so then do. if its still easy for you theres no harm in going for a little more.

I kept the increases to 2.5kg each visit as I guessed that there was a psychological aspect to this regime and I did not want to have to reset too quickly. Though it killed to start off squating with 2 x 5kg plates on an Oly bar when I had been squatting with weights in the high 60kg range previously.

Starting light is also supposed to help with nailing the correct technique before moving on to higher weight. Which I agree with.

i started going to WW again this week so ill look out for you up there this weekend.

Weekends I am in the gym early. Saturday is Cardio & Abs and I am usually in the gym arounf 10:30 for Sping between 11:00-12:00. Then Abs between 12:15 and 13:00 ish. Sunday is Weights day again and I am usualy in the gym around 09:30ish till around 11:30-12:00.

I will keep an eye out for someone squatting in Converse :D

Best Regards,

M

Cardio day

Spin Class: 1 hour (intervals and Hills)

Abs & Core
    Cable Crunch:
    3 x 15 x 68kg
    Wood Choppers:
    2 x 10 each side 36.2kg (low to high)
    2 x 10 each side 34kg (high to low)

Prone Bridge: 3 x 1 minute wide hands

Side Bridge: 3 x 45 seconds (each side)

Reverse Hyper Extensions: 3 x 10 x 15kg

Workout Time: 40 minutes.

Strong Lifts 5x5

Warm up with 16 mins on Cross Trainer (hardish 60 sec intervals)

Back squat:
    1 x 3 x 55kg (warm up set)
    1 x 3 x 60kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 67.5kg (work sets)

Standing Press:
    5 x 5 x 42.5kg (work sets)

Dead Lift
    1 x 5 x 60kg (warm up set)
    1 x 5 x 70kg (warm up set)
    1 x 5 x 80kg(warm up set)
    1 x 5 x 90kg (work set) PB

Power Clean practice
    5 x 5 x 40kg (work sets)

Wide Grip Chinups - to back of neck: 3 to fail (8, 7, 7)

Tricep Exercises

Close Grip BP:
    3 x 10 x 52.5kg

Floor tricep Extensions:
    3 x 10 x 27.5kg

Weighted Dips (10 KG):
    3 to fail (12, 10, 9)

Standing tricep Extensions:
    3 x 8 x 20kg plate

Push Downs:
    3 x 9 x 55kg

Workout Time: 40 mins approx

Forearm Workout (Super Set)

Reverse Curls

2 x 10 x 25kg
    1 x 8 x 25kg

Wrist Curls
    3 x 9 x 10kg

Reverse Wrist Curls
    3 x 10 x 25kg

Thors Hammer Twists
    3 x 10 x 10kg

Workout Time: 20 minutes approx

Notes:

Squats
    were hard but good. Really felt the last two of the last set. As usual I air squatted between weighted sets.

Wonder if the air squats in any way contributed to my tired legs last week :confused: Routine is 25 weighted squats with 40 air squats (counting the warm-ups)

Standing Press was good. Felt that I could have pushed a little more, which is good considering that I found this weight really hard that last time I was pressing over 40kg. Means that I have some more increases left :)

Dead Lifts were an experiement to see what I could lift with the idea of dropping the volume of dead lifting I am doing while increasng the weight. The last set @ 90kg were really hard. This is a fairly big PB as I have never DL'ed over 70kg before and also is 16kg over bodyweight. So at least 1 of my lifts now exceed my body weight by a fair bit :)

Power Cleans we ok as usual. Have the weight up to 40kg now, which is not much by some folks standards. However it is the heaviest I have cleaned to date, and given that I now lift from the floor instead of starting above my knee and also my possible dubious technique, I am happy with that.

Pull-ups were ok. I am mixing up my pull-ups each time. Changing my hand positions and also the thickness of the chin-up bar I use. So this time I decided that I would do the behind the neck variety. I actually did not expect to get as many as I did as this was my first time doing this variation.

Standing and laying tricep extensions were both hard and gave a pretty good burn to the muscles which I can still feel a little today.

Forearm routine simply for symmetrical reasons. Really tires out my forearms though.

No problem with back after adding an extra 20kg to my dead lift, so happy with that. Also legs don't feel too tired today, though I did have a physio do some work on them on Friday followed by a stretching routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

What is the purpose of the BW squats in between sets if you are already warmed up?
    they could be draining some energy and a few kgs from your work set.
    just a thought.

Hi Liam

I started them really just to cement the technique in my head, so that hopefully good squatting technique becomes a habbit.

On the plus side I have found over the last couple of weeks since I started, that my squat is a little lower, well below parallel.

However (possibly on the minus side) my legs felt really tired all last week. This could be due to any one of or a combination of any of the following,
    • The Air Squats between weighted sets
    • Having added a reasonably hard 16 minute interval session on the cross trainer as a warm up pre weights. I used to just stat with warm up sets.
    • The fact that I had added SLDL's into Workout A, which was not supposed to have any type of DL's. This meant that I was both Squatting and Dead Lifting 3 times per week.
    The tiredness was a little confusing because as you can see from my log, I workout 6 days per week, alternating between cardio one day and weights the next. There was a time I used to do cardio every day and weights 4 days a week and my legs were usually ok. On this 4 day split there was no squatting or deadlifting though.

The air squats are done slowly and not at speed a la crossfit. I just entered my head this morning as I entered my workout data that it may have been a contributing factor as I do not think of it last week.

Best Regards & Thanks for the input,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

40 air squats aren't going to tire you out dude don't worry about it. If doing that little amount of activity did you damage then you'd have considerable problems standing up out of chairs over the course of the day!

the point is that he's doing them in between sets when you're meant to take a bit of a rest.
    it wouldnt be a problem, IMO, if he did them before for a warm up or after for a warm down, I personally wouldnt do anything in between sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Just passing by..

I agree with Liam.
    If it was me I'd knock the intervals on the cross trainer on the head, or do them at the end of the workout.

I'd never do intervals at the start of a workout, especially before something like squats.

I always do cardio/intervals at the end of a weights session myself.

Hi All

Just to clear up a point about the air squats between weighted sets.

I do my x 10 air squats as a warm up, then rest for about 60 seconds and then get under the weighted bar and squat proper. After the 5 reps I rack the bar and then rest for between 60 - 90 seconds. I then go back to the rack and do 5 air squats just to ensure technique is good, then I get back under the bar and knock out the next set. I always have the 60-90 seconds of rest between sets.

As for the intervals before weights. I was at the physio a few weeks ago after tweaking my back with SLDL's and he asked about my warm up. I told him that I only did warm up sets, no routine as such. He advised that I should always do some cardio exercise for about 10 - 15 minutes prior to lifting and that I should be lightly sweating and my HR should be raised before I start to lift. The cross trainer was my choice and I always like to push myself, so I do some intervals as this raises my HR and makes me sweat. I do think my squat depth has improved since I started with the warm up.

Again thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

M

• Advertisement

i dont do a cardio warm up for upper body.
    just use light weights to warm up to the bigger weights.

for lower body work, yeah, i do 5-8 mins steady state cardio on the bike.
    I dont push myself, it's just to get the blood flowing and the muscles warm.

then i do my warm up sets, work sets and bit of cardio interval training after that.
    (cardio should be more frequent than it is now though)

as for rest between sets, i wouldnt always keep it to 60-90 seconds.
    if you do a heavy ass set, sometimes you need more of a rest.

Advertisement