Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Strong Lifts 5x5

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Strong Lifts 5x5

15 minutes on the cross trainer at level 11 to warm up and get the blood flowing :)

Back Squat
    2 x 10 x Air Squats (to loosen up)
    1 x 4 x 75kg (warm up set)
    1 x 4 x 77.5kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 80kg (work sets)
    1 x 1 x 85kg
    1 x 1 x 90kg

Power Cleans
    5 x 5 x 45kg

Bench Press
    1 x 3 x 60kg (warm up set)
    1 x 3 x 65kg (warm up set)
    5 x 5 x 70kg (work sets)

Inverted Rows
    3 sets to failure (20, 14, 12)

Push-ups on DB's
    3 sets to failure (30, 23, 20)

Workout time: 70 mins

Biceps

Bicep 21's
    3 x 7 x 25kg

Seated DB Curls
    3 x 8 x 12kg (Both arms lifting together)

Hammer Curls
    3 x 8 x 10kg (Both arms lifting together)

Preacher Curl:

3 x 10 x 25kg

Workout Time: 25 minutes

Forearm Workout (Super Set)

Reverse Curls

3 x 8 x 25kg

Wrist Curls
    3 x 10 x 6kg DB's

Reverse Wrist Curls
    3 x 10 x 25kg

Thors Hammer Twists
    3 x 8 x 10kg

Workout Time: 20 minutes approx

Notes:

Squats were tough. Last couple of reps in last 3 sets we hardest ever. Really felt it in my hams a glutes later. I did a 1 x 85 and 1 x 90 to to check out what it feels like to squat this much weight, as these will be my next targets.

Power Cleans I left at 45kg again to work on my form. Was happy with most of my lifts. However I slipped back into muscle ups a number of times :(

Bench was really hard. I thought by now after 2 1/2 months on Strong lifts that when I got my bench back towards 70kg I would find it easier then last time I attempter this weight. But this was tough. Last 2 reps of final set were a real struggle :( Will try leaving a slightly longer rest between sets next tiem to see if that helps, as I was only leaving about 40 seconds today.

Inverted Rows. Back to inverted rows again as the smith macines were free again :) Numbers still pretty much the same.

Push-ups were done using dumbells, so I could go a little deeper. This caused a drop of 10-15 reps on the first set, however the numbers for the second and third set were similar to usual, though I had to really grind out the final 5 reps of the last set to get to 20.

Bicep Routine

These are just supplemental exerciese to more directly target upper arms.

Forearm Routine

These are just supplemental exercises to more directly target forearms. Arms were really tired during this routine today.

Cardio Day

Spin: 45 mins Advanced Class (Intervals, Sprints & Hills)

Abs & Core

Cable Crunch:
    3 x 15 x 72.6kg
    Reverse Cable crunch: 3 x 15x 63.2kg
    Wood Choppers: 2 x 10 each side 36.2kg (Low to High)
    Wood Choppers: 2 x 10 each side 36.2kg (High to Low)
    Wood Choppers: 2 x 10 each side 36.2kg (Waist Level)

Back Hyper Extensions: 3 x 10 x 8kg
    Glute & Ham Sit-ups: 3 x 10 x 78kg
    Reverse Hyper Extensions: 3 x 10 x 12.5kg

Foam Rolling: 15 minutes

No Gym tonight :(

I got a really bad muscle spasm in my right hamstring a couple of times throughout the day and each time it took a good while to stretch and then walk it off.

Hamstring was still feeling a little tight on the way home, so I skipped the gym and went home and had a warm soak, followed by some foam rolling and light stretching. Seemed to do the trick.

Not too sure what caused the cramps/spasms :confused: I foam rolled and stretched after my workout on Monday night. I eat a decent diet, 1 or 2 bananas a day so potassium levels should be ok. I keep well hydrated so that shuld not be the cause...

... Oh well, hopefully just one of those things.

Cardio day

Spin Class: 45 min Advanced spin. Intervals and Hill climbs

Abs & Core Circuit

Slow situps: 2 x 20
    Weighted Crunches:
    2x 20 x 15kg
    Oblique Crunches:
    2 x20 (10 per side)
    Weighted Situps: 2 x 15 x 15kg
    Russian Twists: 2 x 30 x 7.5kg (15 per side)
    Reverse Crunches with vertical leg extension: 3 x 15
    Dragon Flags: 2 x 9
    Side Bends: 2 x 12 x 15kg

Workout Time: 25mins

Notes:

Hamstring felt ok during spin and core workout. Still feeling ok today (day after workout, so hopefully was nothing to worry about.)

Advertisement