Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird but nice recurring dream

Options
  • 26-07-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

My gran passed away last week on July 15th, we buried her Saturday 18th.
    Since the funeral I have had the same vague dream each night (bar one) that she is in the bed beside me. I wake up and feel good because gran is beside me. During the dream it doesn't feel odd that she's there. I also don't panic because my husband isn't there either - he doesn't even come into it.

Occasionally I sleep walk, but never make it out of the room before I fully wake up. I'm usually half dressed before I cop it and then I undress again and go back to sleep. I mention this because yesterday (Saturday) I woke up with my work suit on, the one I wore the day previously. Remembering why I did this I recalled that I woke up in the middle of the night (obviously still sleeping and dreaming) and felt I had to get dressed because I shouldn't be sleeping beside gran naked! (It was a warm night on Friday so I wore nothing to bed).

I loved my gran, and her death whilst not hugely tragic (she was 86) has affected me more deeply than I thought it would. Also, I was there when she died and that experience was the most overwhelming thing ever (have never seen someone die before).

Don't really know why I'm posting this, I suppose just to share it... I don't mind if the dream continues but I'd hate the sleep-walking thing to kick in on a regualr basis as it's usually a sign of stress with me...

any advice/thoughts/opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cheesetastic

Sorry to hear about your granny but how lovely for you and her that your were there with her when she died. I was holding my own grannys hand when she died many years ago now and like you it was the first time i had seen anyone pass away but over the years I've come to remember how peaceful she was as opposed to the scary aspect of it. It's a very emotional and traumatic thing to witness though and not suprisingly you're sleep-walking. As for the dream - It's not uncommon after a death for the bereaved to dream of their loved one coming to them in a dream and hugging them - it's a form of sleep paralysis which some people can experience as a very frightening experience but in your case it's great that it's a warm and comforting experience and it's just all part of your own coping and grieving. It's only been a few days so still early days...

I'm no expert but for what it's worth - I would imagine when you're ready to let her go the dreams and the sleep walking will stop but for now just enjoy it and if you do sleep on your back, try your side or stomach.

Advertisement