Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lessons for nervous beginner

• 26-07-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi.
    Im in my 20's and never learnt to swim as a child.
    In the last no of years I have been on holidays a lot with friends and my OH and finally got into the pool. My OH is ver patient and has helped my lose some of my fear and I can now float and do a length or two but only with a float as Im still very nervous. I hate being under water and even as a child always hated having water on my face even in the shower.
    I would love to learn to swim as I feel its holding me back.
    Is there such a thing as lessons for nervous beginners in the Dublin area?? North Dublin preferably

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I was the same as you . I only learned a few years ago. what I found easier was to learn swimming in the sea as you float better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

i am a very (very) nervous person in water, finaly gave in and went and tried swimming lessons - done 2 sets in a row (10 weeks each) but still didnt learn! bt think my main reason was coz i cant get over my fear - if your 100% that you'll be able to do it, then thats great, im just sick i wasted €250 n still no closer - anyway places to go, dunno bout north side but in town - markveich on pearse st or jackie skelly jst behind the green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

To be honest I'd say most of the adult lessons for beginners you see around will have a couple of nervous people, in fact I 'd guess everyone will be a little bit nervous otherwise they would probably have just tried learning by themselves. I know I was when I did some 3 or 4 years ago.

Another option might be to get private lessons, they do work out more expensive but could be worth it. I think most pools will offer them, could also check the likes of adverts, gumtree, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dave2006

Most swimming pools will have group and private lessons, I am currently learning how
    to swim as well, im nervous as hell, I can kick ok, hold my head under water for 10
    seconds, and blow out under water this is not a problem for me, its when I have to
    let go of the side of the pool and regain my standing position that i have to sort out,
    To be honest the public pool where i get 1 to 1 lessons, the teacher will not allow me
    to use a float, she says that I will get to "use" to the float and it will make life more
    difficult for me when I need to swim on my own, in a way she's right,
    like I said im nervous as hell, but im going to give it 100% , the worse i can do is fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You will get there i gave 2 girls a hand last year they had never swam before so brought them to the pool im joined to and after a couple of hour longs with them the fear was gone and they gradually improved on their own.
    The pool i go to is all the same depth the whole way i think this helped as you dont have any fear of getting into trouble

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

hi squishywishy
    my local pool is in monkstown, they do adult lessons with a beginner group. that group would have no swimming experience at all and tended to stay in the shallow end. I did some improver lessons and there would have been a couple of people in that group who'd have been quite nervous in the deep end.
    All i can say is like most things the longer you leave it (not signing up fpr lessons) the less chance you ever will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I think if you're very nervous private lesson would be worth it. They will be more expensive but seeing as it's not just swimming you're trying to learn, but also getting over a strong fear of water individual lesson could prove more beneficial.

Hope it works out for you, swimming is such a joy when you get there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Try Jackie Skelly's in Swords. I would highly recommend them.

I was the same as you and a year later I'm swimming well enough to use the Olympic pool in the National Aquatic Centre. They cater for absolute beginners.

Advertisement