Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dislocations

Options
  • 26-07-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Just started MMA training bout a month ago after doing Thai for years.

What happened was, I went to shoot and my partner spawled,don't know exactly how it happened but I dislocated my big toe.

Basically wanting to know if it will pop out alot easier now that it has gone once?

Thanks
    Damo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

It will be easier to pop out now, especially if it wasn't treated properly, but only slightly so. It's like a breaking bones, they break easier if you have broken them already. Just be careful with it and you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah I have a toe on each foot with the same problem, its fine if i tape it to a toe beside it if not during trainin it can pop out on the middle knuckle of my toe at a right angle to the others! It goes back in easy enough but mine are like that bout 2 year doctors told me there is not much i can do about it just have to deal with it. Remember to tape it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

perhaps some wrapping will also be beneficial . I dislocated my thumb in a grappling tournament, it was pretty sore and mad looking for ages and is still bigger than my other one (12 months later) but the doctor said nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

darragh-k wrote: »
    It's like a breaking bones, they break easier if you have broken them already. Just be careful with it and you should be grand

Don't know if thats true. I remember hearing that a broken bone is tougher cause its more dense or something at the area of the break. Broken bones freak me out! And a dislocated big toe? EWWWW. Small joint manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

I cant find any links to any sources but the general teaching I've had is that bones heal stronger on the fracture site! That's degree level anatomy, physiology,Bio mechanics so Im gonna listen to my lecturers on this 1 until I see something otherwise!

• Advertisement

By my experience of dislocations it will happen again, I dislocated my shoulder once and it was the most painful thing ever, My toe is dislocated a lot since i started MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

By my experience of dislocations it will happen again, I dislocated my shoulder once and it was the most painful thing ever, My toe is dislocated a lot since i started MMA.

Any ligament damage will weaken the joint initially. It takes along time & rehab & rest for it to regain tensile strength and in that period of time its very easy to reinjure. Strapping is the way to go. Its a metatarsalphalangeal joint injury,sounds very like a condition called turf toe. see link for info! http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/foot/turf_toe/taping.php

• Registered Users Posts: 45 damox1

Thanks for all the advice guys,
    Its still pretty sore,there is also alot of fluid building up on the inside of
    the toe.
    I punctured it and released it but it keeps building up again.
    Gonna head to the doc and just check its ok.
    After that will keep it well strapped.

Thanks Again

Advertisement