Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor phones

• 26-07-2009 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

does anyone know if meteor are getting any new phones soon as i was in with them today and all they have is sh1t at the moment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

all they ever have is sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Their handset range isn't that bad. They have the Nokia 5800, 6700, E71, Sony Ericsson C510, W995, Samsung Pixon, Tocco Ultra, LG Cookie and Arena. They don't have any Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Android or Apple devices, but then again, they're not as big as O2 or Vodafone; whose handset ranges aren't all that impressive even with their vast amounts of money and clout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

just buy your own phone not their locked crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 keeluz

OK, they don't have the iPhone, but neither do Vodafone or 3. They don't have Blackberry, but who really wants one? They don't have Android, but who does in Ireland. They don't have Window's mobile, but I've never seen a really good handset with Windows mobile. The Palm Pre is probably the first one.

Really don't get this "Meteor have sh't phones" lark...love to see some examples of the great phones the other network have that Meteor don't (desides the above mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Pre isn't a windows mobile phone. I think all manufacturers need one of the big flagship phones. Meteor dont and never really did. I was with them for years but left for an iPhone. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GAAP

Unless you are looking for a pre pay phone I would stay clear of them. I am currently a customer and have been for the past five years but recently i have found their phone selection , price plans and customer service unbelievable. I really dont know where they are going with their brand / network. Eircom's effective buy back intothe mobile phone market should give them some greater direction but eircom isn't really a success story either

GAAP wrote: »
    Unless you are looking for a pre pay phone I would stay clear of them. I am currently a customer and have been for the past five years but recently i have found their phone selection , price plans and customer service unbelievable. I really dont know where they are going with their brand / network. Eircom's effective buy back intothe mobile phone market should give them some greater direction but eircom isn't really a success story either

"Phone selection....unbelieveable"? Grow up. O2/Voda and Meteor have 95% of the same phones. Again, which are the great contract phones that Meteor don't have. Still waiting for some examples...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 3House

SE W995 is a great phone only 40 squids with talk 300 package

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

and the LG ARENA is exclusive to Meteor. That's a step in the right direction if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

dmn wrote: »
    and the LG ARENA is exclusive to Meteor. That's a step in the right direction if you ask me.

exclusive deals are nothing but bad news for the consumer

but no worries, its not actually exclusive. plenty unlocked ones around

• Advertisement

Lg arena is a step in the right directon agreed but soon 3,o2 and possibly vodafone will have the n97. O2 have the iPhone which is without doubt the most desirable phone on the planet right now. Vodafone are probably getting the htc Magic and maybe the original 3g iPhone. O2 will be one of the first European carriers with the pre. Some talk of meteor getting the n97 aswell, but in fairness they are always behind the curve with billpay phones. Also no blackberry to be seen.

gpf101 wrote: »
    Lg arena is a step in the right directon agreed but soon 3,o2 and possibly vodafone will have the n97. O2 have the iPhone which is without doubt the most desirable phone on the planet right now. Vodafone are probably getting the htc Magic and maybe the original 3g iPhone. O2 will be one of the first European carriers with the pre. Some talk of meteor getting the n97 aswell, but in fairness they are always behind the curve with billpay phones. Also no blackberry to be seen.

Strange that you're assume 3, O2 and Vodafone will have the N97 and that Meteor will not. I haven't seen any sign of it.

O2 have come out and actually said they are not going it.

3 do very few Nokia phones (did they do the N85 8GB, do they have the 6700)

Vodafone launch nearly every phone.

"always behind the curve with billpay phone"...another generalisation with no substance.

Don't know what I'm defending Meteor on this one, but I really hate this Meteor bashing.

Top selling phones in the UK (besides iPhone and Blackberry) are Nokia 5800, W995, Arena, Nokia 6700, Tocco Ultra. Only 1 network actually carries all of these phones.

Vodafone will not get the iPhone in Ireland anytime soon. The Pre is exclusive to O2/Telefonica.

Lot's of Meteor bashing, little facts!

I have been with meteor for years and found them a great network. But every time I went to upgrade I found them lacking a flagship phone. You can say its meteor bashing if you wish but Its my experience and in the end they lost me as a customer because of it.

As for O2 not carrying the N97? Are you mad? They have officially confirmed today it'll be on sale week 1 august. This is a quote from Daryl on the O2 forums -

"As an update guys I would like to let you know that the N97 will be out in the first week of August!
    Prices start at €379.99 on Prepay and €199 on O2 Clear 350. More pricing details will follow next week."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 robgordon

I really want a Blackberry. Have been on Meteor for three years, and currently have an E71, which isn't a bad phone. But agree that they really need to get more choice, or a flagship phone. I'm thinking of going to vodafone when my contract expires next month

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

robgordon -

If you think Meteor's selection of flagship phones is bad, don't touch vodafone for the time being.

https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/208-what-phones-are-vf-ireland-going-to-launch/

you can see here how they are treating queries in relation to expected releases.

I'm in the same position as you i.e. on meteor contract up waiting for any of the carriers to actually release a decent flagship smartphone that is not as hamstrung by the os/ip as an iphone.

O2 appear to have some of the better phones coming to market but until they launch and I can see if they try to gouge us on the contracts ala iphone i'm not touching them either.

I have to admit overall i am very dissapointed with the state of play amongst all of the carriers at the minute as it appears that most of them are content to sit on their laurels or those who don't essentially extort their customer base with new tariff levels based upon the specific phone rather than allowing the customer to build a suitable one.

rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

With the current economic situation, mobile networks are definitely adjusting their strategies accordingly and will attempt to increase profit and reduce expenditure wherever and whenever they can; handsets/upgrades are a definite result of this.

While I admire Apple's business strategy from a purely monetary standpoint, and the fact they have changed the way in which manufacturers do business with mobile operators, from a purely consumer perspective it is grossly inappropriate and completely absurd that a customer is effectively locked into a 18-24 month contract and stuck on a higher than usual tariff all for the sake of owning a particular handset.

I for one hope that exclusivity agreements, like the example above, appear less and less in the market and handsets are used less to entrap customers into long-term, bad value contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm with Meteor for about 4/5 years now & find them great.

I guess it depends what your looking for in a carrier...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 robgordon

Sengoku79 wrote: »
    robgordon -

If you think Meteor's selection of flagship phones is bad, don't touch vodafone for the time being.

https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/208-what-phones-are-vf-ireland-going-to-launch/

you can see here how they are treating queries in relation to expected releases.

I'm in the same position as you i.e. on meteor contract up waiting for any of the carriers to actually release a decent flagship smartphone that is not as hamstrung by the os/ip as an iphone.

O2 appear to have some of the better phones coming to market but until they launch and I can see if they try to gouge us on the contracts ala iphone i'm not touching them either.

I have to admit overall i am very dissapointed with the state of play amongst all of the carriers at the minute as it appears that most of them are content to sit on their laurels or those who don't essentially extort their customer base with new tariff levels based upon the specific phone rather than allowing the customer to build a suitable one.

rant over

Thanks for that. I'll hold off so. Contract is due to end in November - i called them today. Really don't get why the Brits get their phones for free. It's annoying seeing all those ad's at the back of magazines that advertise the free handsets/better deals. I know there's probably a reason, but it still annoys me.

What does anybody reckon on buying a simfree blackberry? Electrical shops seem to sell 'em cheaper, but obviously there's a risk involved there...

Advertisement