Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats needed when taking your medicines through Airport security

Options
  • 26-07-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'll be travelling next week and I have to carry my diabetes and Asthma inhalers with me, just wondering what do I do when going through Dublin Airport security? Do I need to bring a letter from my Doctor stating the list of medicine that I'm carrying (If I do has anyone have the wording on their letters)? will I need to show security the medicines? Do I need to keep them in a seperate bag from my hand luggage?

Any advice and help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Depending on what you have, the asthma inhalers should be OK - I just put them in the plastic bag with liquids etc.

I don't know if you are using pens or syringes, but I imagine a letter from your doctor might be a good idea. I'm sure your doctor will have a standard wording.

Also consider carrying your prescription in case you lose anything - but obviously keep it separate from the medicine - you don't want to lose both. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Victor wrote: »
    Depending on what you have, the asthma inhalers should be OK - I just put them in the plastic bag with liquids etc.

I don't know if you are using pens or syringes, but I imagine a letter from your doctor might be a good idea. I'm sure your doctor will have a standard wording.

Also consider carrying your prescription in case you lose anything - but obviously keep it separate from the medicine - you don't want to lose both. :)

Thanks for that, yes I'm using pen style syringes, also if I carry a prescription is that usable in spain?

also if I'm going to be using the insulin for the two weeks is it ok not to put them in a cool bag, as I know they have to be used within a month of taking them out of the fridge.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks for that, yes I'm using pen style syringes, also if I carry a prescription is that usable in spain?

also if I'm going to be using the insulin for the two weeks is it ok not to put them in a cool bag, as I know they have to be used within a month of taking them out of the fridge.

Thanks
    Don't forget to take your glucagon too! You do need a cool bag - was in Portugal for 2.5 weeks in June and I found that the day time temperatures were way too hot - I had a small one for carrying around 2 days medication while going out and about and a larger one for getting there and back. Enjoy your holiday. You might just want to tell the diabetic nurse that you are travelling too and see if she has any tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Don't forget to take your glucagon too! You do need a cool bag - was in Portugal for 2.5 weeks in June and I found that the day time temperatures were way too hot - I had a small one for carrying around 2 days medication while going out and about and a larger one for getting there and back. Enjoy your holiday. You might just want to tell the diabetic nurse that you are travelling too and see if she has any tips.

I'm staying with relatives, so won't be moving to far, do you think I should put the insulins I'm not using in the fridge over there or is that the wrong thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I'm staying with relatives, so won't be moving to far, do you think I should put the insulins I'm not using in the fridge over there or is that the wrong thing to do?
    You might be suprised - even going out for lunch if the temperature gets a bit high you could damage your insulin (I had to throw an insulin out because of that :() You really should put your insulin in the fridge but make sure that you keep it far enough from the freezer section as that is just as bad. I also had some extra pens in a cool room in the house just in case that happened. I know that this may seem extreme but I will not take chances with my insulin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your doctor should also use, if possible, the chemical rather than brand name for your medications. Generally speaking though, there isn't an issue with taking prescription drugs through - within reasonable limits.

Many of our prescription medications are non-prescription in other countries. I would imagine if you needed prescription medicine abroad you would need to see a doctor there, I've never used my prescription to get medicines, only to use as a guide for local doctors who prescribed the local equivalent of my meds.

Advertisement