Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ATI with linux?

• 26-07-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

I heard that ATI cards don't work with ubuntu 9.04...is this correct? And if so what ATI cards do/don't work and why don't they work? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

haven't had a problem with them, have you looked at the hcl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

The ATI cards work fine, but the 3D performance of the
    closed source drivers leaves a lot to be desired.

Nvidia is the way to go on Linux if you need good GLX
    performance. The OSS drivers should work well enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

The proprietary ati driver has some problems. For example, google earth will not start with those drivers (or at least this was the case when I last had an ati card).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Myth won't work with ATI - open or closed drivers. With the closed source drivers video won't play properly - it runs like a slideshow. With the Open drivers Myth's front-end is video corrupted but avi/mkv files play perfectly. ATI's response to this is that they don't support linux - even though they wrote the drivers for it.

For everyday use ATI cards should work but I wouldn't try gaming with one personally. nVidia is the way to go for Linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Macros42 wrote: »
    For everyday use ATI cards should work but I wouldn't try gaming with one personally.

Not very likely, at least for me anymore : \

Considering id software is pulling away from linux, others will
    probably follow suit.

Sorry, this is off topic, but still a problem for both the gaming
    community and Linux in general.

Commercial gaming on Linux is dead.
    Such a fecking shame:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Macros42 wrote: »
    Myth won't work with ATI

My myth box works fine with an integrated ATI card.

And yes Naikon, it is a crying shame that commercial gaming on linux is dead. I'm STILL really pissed off about the shafting I got over UT3 (I had upgraded my whole computer in anticipation of it at the time and pre-ordered it > 2 years in advance and nearly 2 years after the windows release the linux one isn't out and my game sits in its shrinkwrap....ASSHOLES).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

I heard that ATI cards don't work with ubuntu 9.04...is this correct? And if so what ATI cards do/don't work and why don't they work? Cheers.

Had the same problem under redhat the could not get ATI card working
    only in VGA mode
    made my eyes very tried after a while.
    and had to reformat and put windows back on the machine
    to get the clearer screen .

Advertisement