Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Legal Quads

• 26-07-2009 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi

I have been trying to find out information about Road Legal ATV's/Quads. I can find out if they are classed as bikes or cars or what license I would need to hold to drive one. I dont know if they are taxed the same as a motorbike, inport duty etc, also I cant find out if I would nee dto own a smaller CC'd quad first, like a motorbike. I have searched the VRT web site to no avail.

Can someone help me on this.

Thanks
    Kie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

As far as I a aware there is no such thing as a road legal quad in Ireland, therefore there is no tax category etc for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Quads are regularly driven by motorcyclists with physical disabilities following accidents. The requirements for registering a road legal vehicle in Ireland aren't too stringent - headlight, taillight, turn signals, speedo, and a few othe requirements too. You're as well off asking a Mod to move this thread to the motorcycling forum.

I've seen plenty of road legal quads at the TT, some with push button quickshifters too, and upgraded engines. Real fun machines :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Quads are regularly driven by motorcyclists with physical disabilities following accidents. The requirements for registering a road legal vehicle in Ireland aren't too stringent - headlight, taillight, turn signals, speedo, and a few othe requirements too. You're as well off asking a Mod to move this thread to the motorcycling forum.

I've seen plenty of road legal quads at the TT, some with push button quickshifters too, and upgraded engines. Real fun machines :)

there was/is a company selling them down in wicklow or wexford,it used to be in dublin,i think its called planet fun,it says in their ads which ones are road legal,as you say indicator,speedo,headlights,
    google the name though they have a dodgy history

i rented a quad last week in crete and it was road legal,scary things to drive though:eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're as well off asking a Mod to move this thread to the motorcycling forum.
    done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

bladebrew wrote: »
    there was/is a company selling them down in wicklow or wexford,it used to be in dublin,i think its called planet fun,it says in their ads which ones are road legal,as you say indicator,speedo,headlights,

i rented a quad last week in crete and it was road legal,scary things to drive though:eek:

Dont know anything about road legal quads but steer clear of planet fun, do a search on here or biker.ie to see what there like. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Someone came into my shop in Dublin city centre today, she was driving a serious looking quad bike. It had all the lights on it and was an Austrian reg plate. Looked and sounded pretty sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

bladebrew wrote: »

Stay away!! CAB raids, dodgy bikes, abysmal sales guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sevenie

Thanks for the warning abot Planet Fun, had seen them but nothing nice on there site.

Was looking at http://www.microbike.ie

Seat is about 680mm about 26inchs from the ground so I think they are mini quads, just for messing around. Still not sure about what driving license you need. For importing the vrt is the same as a motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

you can buy them in Germany and Austria freely, I've really got to look into them myself. I reckon they'd be handy in the winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I was also interested as falling off bikes at 40 plus isnt a good idea and trafic and idiot drivers in Dublin makes filtering a lethal sport
    Not convinced the three wheel Piaggo would sort the problem

I rented and used the road legal quads in Spain and cant see any issues if the speeds are below 60mph 100KPH on highways eneogh or my touring needs

I looked Honda last week but they said they dont do any road legal versions and suggested try Yamaha

I havent looked yamaha yet.

To my knowlege in most countries the rules are the Quads are classed as motor bikes for all rules like licence and tax etc as all vehicles which weigh less than 500 KG curb weight are classed as motorbikes even if they got as many as 8 wheels .I suspect ROI is the same rule.

I figure if I import a road legal version from Austia or Spain number plates on them with then it has to given replacement ROI plates

I suspect that in ROI they just stone wall block all applications to make any ROI quads road legal but cant refuse imports from other regions of europe.

Stuffed if I know where you can get insuance to use Quads on the road

A few years back I did see one in Dublin plates and all but I never seen a road legal one in ROI since .
    All I seen since in ROI same what you see in spain or europe is quads without plates in public parks in ROI or outback stickville regions where the kids some barely out of nappies pass along bohereens tracks and are low risk for the cops to pass that region .

For me its just for transport in the week which for parking is more like a motor bike an can take me to the top of mountian where my new sport para gliding requires going to the top of the mountian before you jump to your death :eek: or you get a good flight :cool:

I figure the problem In ROI is the government has sent a defintite we will block all attempts to make quads road legal as the track record of them offroad has been so bad . That means if the twots who use them for doughnuts etc come on the roads the road accident rates will go orbital and that unfortunatly looks to be the real story.Therefore the importers are too scared to take on the government and dont sell the road legal versions and dont help legitimate users like me who dont want to trail behind my 1000 cc jap crap compact car in a seperate trailer my quad to use it

So any real data from real ROI road legal quad bike user with insurance and tax if they exist would be usefultofigure out the way to gt into this interesting economic form of ATV and road cruising with full real all weather exposure for the real hardy types who like me hate roofs on cars

Having seen and heard so many intereting stories about planet Fun I wont be contacting them for advise as I am sure thye can promise the moon and the stars just sign here

Derry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭alo1587

Just came across this thread,as i was curious about registering a quad as well.Anyway, i found this.Look at the last part..

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0616/D.0616.200603210207.html

Well if the man himself says so,thats the way it is!

Advertisement