Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo ST 220

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

At that price you'd need to have a screw loose to not want it!
    I'm quite tempted myself to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Road tax €1,293 per would need to be taken into account. Would you plan to keep it long?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

First thing would be to run a full HPI check, that car's more likely than most to be the subject of an insurance claim. I'd also go through and verify the SH. It'll be worth nothing when the time comes to sell, so i'd be looking to pay as little as possibe for it now. Does that model have a TB? If so, check when it's due to be replaced - many Fords have 100,000 mile intervals, but maybe not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I would also have a test drive to see if its what you are looking for. It's very much a high speed cruiser as aposed to a razor sharp sports car.

I've driven one for a good few miles and found it pretty boring apart from the ignorant straight line speed!!

The road tax is also a pretty serious yearly cost.
    S.

I would also have a test drive to see if its what you are looking for. It's very much a high speed cruiser as aposed to a razor sharp sports car.

I've driven one for a good few miles and found it pretty boring apart from the ignorant straight line speed!!

The road tax is also a pretty serious yearly cost.
    S.
    If that's true then the fact that's a manual is a big minus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'm thinking the price is + the vrt amount of €5150.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Anan1 wrote: »

It's still sporty enough to warrant the manual, I'd just take one for a good spin before you spend your money on it. It's a big car that handles well for it's size but I just found it pretty boring and disappointing.

Advert also says the VRT is paid and is on Irish plates.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

They're asking 6500 for a car they say they just spent 5150 on VRT. To turn a profit on this car, it would need to have cost them less than 1350 to import. Is that even possible?

high horse wrote: »
    They're asking 6500 for a car they say they just spent 5150 on VRT. To turn a profit on this car, it would need to have cost them less than 1350 to import. Is that even possible?
    It's a private sale, the seller says that they imported the car a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Damien360

A quick gander around the mondeo owners sites tells me that an 03 plate (UK) is getting/asking somewhere around the 5000 sterling mark. If the car is all legit it is a steal but I tend to air on the side of "if it's too good to be true, it is too good to be true".

How could he have got the car for 1350 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Its a very good deal but the VRT on that car now would be about €3800 not €5150. He may still have paid that amount originally when it was bought.

Either way the estimated open market price is around €10k so seems a great deal.

I've personally been trying to look at a few diesel ST's but this is a beauty, providing of course the running costs can be justified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Damien360 wrote: »
    A quick gander around the mondeo owners sites tells me that an 03 plate (UK) is getting/asking somewhere around the 5000 sterling mark. If the car is all legit it is a steal but I tend to air on the side of "if it's too good to be true, it is too good to be true".

How could he have got the car for 1350 ?

Where does it say he got it for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

if your serious about buying it you should definately do a check
    with cartell.ie to check history...
    very nice car except the petrol puts me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

"drop in wages forces very reluctant sale". If legit car is been sold at a loss not a break-even amount.

Like Anan1 I'd be somewhat suspicious. The speedo photo shows current mileage, yet the main photos do not show the car on Irish plates, despite been imported in July '08 allegedly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

TomMc wrote: »
    Like Anan1 I'd be somewhat suspicious. The speedo photo shows current mileage, yet the main photos do not show the car on Irish plates, despite been imported in July '08 allegedly.
    good point - also, the tax runs out in October - I presume that the tax was for 12 months from first RoI registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Anan1 wrote: »

ST220 was only ever available as a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

There's something just not right about that car. The price just seems too good.

Churchy wrote: »
    ST220 was only ever available as a manual.
    Yes, but other similar cars were. Regarding the price, I don't really see that car as being cheap at the advertised price. It's a six year old Mondeo with a 3 litre engine and 65k miles, not many people are going to want it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Anan1 wrote:
    It's a six year old Mondeo with a 3 litre engine and 65k miles, not many people are going to want it.

+1. I've seen a good few 3.0+litre cars going very, very cheap. Seeing as the insurance grouping will probably go hand-in-hand with the road tax - i.e. straight into the stratosphere - they're simply becoming too expensive to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

kbannon wrote: »
    good point - also, the tax runs out in October - I presume that the tax was for 12 months from first RoI registration.

Could have taxed it for 3 or 6 months !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

needs a bit of cosmetic work by the sounds of it, but could be a bargain

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/929298

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If the owner moved over from the UK, he may have not had to pay VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Just because I'm nice I ran an HPI check on the car - all clear in the UK.
    No finance owing ,no insurance claims & mileage looks fine - was spotted in Jan 2005 with 16k so that ties up.
    Obviously you'd need to check for claims etc... since it was exported.

I should have a pdf of the check emailed to me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Solitaire wrote: »
    +1. I've seen a good few 3.0+litre cars going very, very cheap. Seeing as the insurance grouping will probably go hand-in-hand with the road tax - i.e. straight into the stratosphere - they're simply becoming too expensive to run.

Indeed, which is why I run a 3.0, and my brother runs one too. Several other acquaintances run 2.5-3.0. The cars are cheap, and if bought for cash at the right price, the annual road tax, whilst large, isn't the end of the world. If you were buying a smaller, more expensive car finance, you'd be spending more p.a. anyway. But I agree it's a sickener to have to write the cheque......

Contrary to popular opinion, I've found 3.0 insurance v.v. reasonable. Even daily driver insurance on my manual 968 cost 600 p.a. Can't complain about that, really.......

As for running costs, they're not that bad. Big engines in small cars (like the ST) aren't that bad. My 968 returns 26-29mpg lately, and my brothers 3.0turbo (petrol) Saab, about 26mpg. They are also long-lived, being understressed in those applications, so are good for big mileages.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement