Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Avenue = Rip Off.

• 26-07-2009 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Went out the other night for a pint with a few friends.

Let me start by stating, a bottle of cider in my local is €4.50. Now I don't expect to pay local prices in town, so I headed to Geoffs first.

€5 for a bottle, not bad. No complaints. Had a few in Geoffs, went next door into Electric Avenue and never have I been so disgusted in my life. €6.20 for a pint! Absolute rip-off. I drank my pint and left immediately.

There is absolutely no excuse for having to pay an extra €1.70 for a pint in town, especially when the bar next to it is selling bottles for €1.20 cheaper!

Electric Avenue can feck right off if they think I'm drinking there again. Manager didn't even seem to give a monkeys when I said it to him. Said that the extension caused the rise in drink prices. I understand the owner probably makes the prices, but still.
    Even with the drink prices been brought down a few weeks back, I'm still managing to pay 6.20 for a pint.
    Call me a scrooge, but that's not an acceptable price for a bottle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Thats shockin money for a pint so it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I don't understand how the extension should force the prices up...Whispers have gone in there and are now sharing the rent...surely the prices should go down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I don't either. I wouldn't be too troubled by paying up to 5.50 for a pint with Geoffs as 5 euro, but 6.20, I'm sorry lads.. but it's way too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

thats shockin!! its a shame Geoffs dont have a late license cos they are the best pub in town in my opinion, its just a shame you have to leave there and get ripped off if you want a late one.. 6.20 is ridiculous price!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Absloute joke, you can pick up 6 cans for 6.99. This is why I dont go out anymore. Daylight robbery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Absloute joke, you can pick up 6 cans for 6.99. This is why I dont go out anymore. Daylight robbery!

Didn't you get the memo? You are supposed to say it is because of the smoking ban, not because of the prices ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Don't forget blaming the rent. Or the electricity bills. Or indeed, any other expense one would expect to pay in the day to day running of a nightclub. Jaysis, yeah, security. Forgot about that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Keith Winters

The price of a pint in Waterford City is shambolic to be frank. To be honest I rarely buy drink in town any more. I can't fathom being able to buy 20 bottles of miller in Tesco for €17.99 and then pay between €5 and €5.50 in town for one bottle.

I understand that pubs,clubs and superpubs have serious overheads but these prices are extortionate. Waterford is the most expensive place in the country for a pint (outside of the capital and seaside holiday resorts). Until the oligopoly that is licensed premises in waterford disappears I can't see things changing in the near future.

This is out of date afaik but it gives a good indication of even how how prices were last year.
    http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?/Ireland/EUR.htm

Tesco sells thousands of products, thousands of which are high margin products.

Bars sell drink, and pretty much nothing else. They have to make a living like all the other businesses in town. Tesco sell items cheaper than the local shop as well...we really have to stop comparing tesco to bars in town.

Era' go way out of that. There's no reason to charge 6.20 on a pint of cider, and we're not comparing a bar with Tesco's here. We're comparing a bar with a bar. Simple as, nevermind the fact they're right beside each other.

• Advertisement

Fajitas, you're just using te 6.20 price tag as a convenient means of winning this argument...however, if you scroll up there, you'll see that I was clearly critical of the 6.20 price. And, I was replying to Keith Winters, who was comparing Tesco with a bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Kahless wrote: »
    Didn't you get the memo? You are supposed to say it is because of the smoking ban, not because of the prices ;)

lol no originally yes it was the smoking ban, I dont smoke but the overwhelming smell of BO and guiness farts make me reassess going out :eek: lol a time came then when I chanced going out again, just couldnt justify paying 5.50 for a bottle yes a bottle of miller, of course the aftershow of having scumbags start on you in the fried chicken joint is something I miss :D

Hahaha, of course I'm using a 6.20 price tag as a way of winning the argument, but it's not just aimed at yourself, it's aimed at the prices. It's just discussion :)

But I agree, comparing a bar with Tesco's is a terrible comparision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Was it Bulmers cider, isn't the price supposed to be coming down?

Yup, it was bulmers. And yeah, the price did come down. But apparently, Electric Avenue ignored this price drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Price only came down for bottles.

It was a bottle, a pint bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ah, i'm pretty once past 11.30 or 12.00 in the night the prices rise up in E.A. probably something with a late license or something???

still not defending them though, thats a shocking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

AdMMM wrote: »
    Price only came down for bottles.

Some pubs lowered the price of draught Bulmers as well.

Horgan wrote: »
    Ah, i'm pretty once past 11.30 or 12.00 in the night the prices rise up in E.A. probably something with a late license or something???

still not defending them though, thats a shocking price.

Yeah I understand this, but it's the €6.20 thing that's the killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

In around the same area I got a large bottle of stout in the Woodman at 6.oc. for €3.60 and then went up the road to the Kazbaa and paid €6.20 for one. I think the Woodman has a happy hour or something so why can't the rest of them do the same,you won't catch me in the Kazbaa again.

6.20 for a bottle of STOUT!?!?!

Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Yeah Woodman I think has special up to 6 or 8 in the evening. My dad would often go down during the day as he's a pensioner with his friends for a chat.Woodman would be the cheapest pub on the strip by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Odats wrote: »
    Yeah Woodman I think has special up to 6 or 8 in the evening. My dad would often go down during the day as he's a pensioner with his friends for a chat.Woodman would be the cheapest pub on the strip by a long shot.

think twister vicks is cheaper,well for pints anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Never liked Electric Avenue. The pints are crap and the building is horrible, the jacks are a disgrace. Hate the way you have to pay in most nights now, the bands they have don’t be the best. Although I’ve been to a couple of great gigs there.

Waterford really does need a good Indy type venue.

Advertisement