Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

leave a car parked up

• 26-07-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I have to take my car off the road for a few weeks/months.
    Apart from disconnecting the negative and a self valet, what else should i do to look after it?
    thanks as always for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Is it being parked in a private driveway or on a public road/car park?

If the latter ensure she's taxed otherwise you may discover it littered with tickets/possibly towed.

Aside from that..you should be doing well. Just ensure to start her up every now and again, imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is it being parked in a private driveway or on a public road/car park?

If the latter ensure she's taxed otherwise you may discover it littered with tickets/possibly towed.

Aside from that..you should be doing well. Just ensure to start her up every now and again, imo.

+1
    was in the middle of posting the exact same post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't leave the handbrake on. just leave it in gear. (if it's being left in the garage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

It'll be parked outside the house in a private housing estate but the parking space is "communal".

As for the handbrake, does that apply to the car outdoors too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the handbrake may seize. on the other hand, you don't want the car rolling around!

• Advertisement

congo_90 wrote: »
    It'll be parked outside the house in a private housing estate but the parking space is "communal".

As for the handbrake, does that apply to the car outdoors too?

well then it needs to be taxed and insured iirc.
    as long as its on public roads, may well be a housing estate but as long as the public have access to it then it needs to be taxed and insured.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the handbrake may seize. on the other hand, you don't want the car rolling around!

Well I'll leave it in gear. The parking is quite level!

kceire wrote: »
    well then it needs to be taxed and insured iirc.
    as long as its on public roads, may well be a housing estate but as long as the public have access to it then it needs to be taxed and insured.

Ah that's no good :( I thought if I declare it off the road then it is in theory off the road. It's parked outside my house and there is no way I can get it on my property. Sure the car wouldn't be moving and I'm not in a position to tax/ insure...

Ah that's no good :( I thought if I declare it off the road then it is in theory off the road. It's parked outside my house and there is no way I can get it on my property. Sure the car wouldn't be moving and I'm not in a position to tax/ insure...

i think you will need to get it somewhere thats private property like a front garden or if you can rent a shed.

what kind of car is it?
    are you worried/bothered that it could get robbed?

if its not taxed then the council can simply remove it and crush it while your in work someday :mad:

i think you will need to get it somewhere thats private property like a front garden or if you can rent a shed.

what kind of car is it?
    are you worried/bothered that it could get robbed?

if its not taxed then the council can simply remove it and crush it while your in work someday :mad:

afaik.. and i'm not trying to kick off an arguement in this post.. The council can't come into my estate because it's privately owned but thats for another forum.

It's a Hyundai Accent and it's 2000 so the only way it'll be robbed is keys or tow and there are far more desirable cars on my road! There's nothing of value kept in the car and I make it known since I was broken into.

I'm a bit worried on the tax issue.. I may actually put 3 months on it. It's due at the end of this month.
    I'm hoping to only be off the road for a month max until I get a new job.

afaik.. and i'm not trying to kick off an arguement in this post.. The council can't come into my estate because it's privately owned but thats for another forum.

It's a Hyundai Accent and it's 2000 so the only way it'll be robbed is keys or tow and there are far more desirable cars on my road! There's nothing of value kept in the car and I make it known since I was broken into.

I'm a bit worried on the tax issue.. I may actually put 3 months on it. It's due at the end of this month.
    I'm hoping to only be off the road for a month max until I get a new job.

when you say private land, i presume you mean like a new housing estate that hasnt been taken in charge by the council yet? thats where it gets a bit messy alright, but the management company can request the council to remove the car if it gets a complaint about it.

if its only off the road for a month then you should be ok, especially if your gona tax it. the reason i ask what car is, because it wont be insured then you know you cant claim if its stolen etc so aslong as your ok with thet then your ok.

fingers crossed you get sorted with work ASAP so this little issue is put behind you and get back on the road.

• Advertisement

when you say private land, i presume you mean like a new housing estate that hasnt been taken in charge by the council yet? thats where it gets a bit messy alright, but the management company can request the council to remove the car if it gets a complaint about it.

if its only off the road for a month then you should be ok, especially if your gona tax it. the reason i ask what car is, because it wont be insured then you know you cant claim if its stolen etc so aslong as your ok with thet then your ok.

fingers crossed you get sorted with work ASAP so this little issue is put behind you and get back on the road.

Exactly the point I have in mind and sure it's only a 9 year old Hyundai so the risk of it being robbed is slim enough. I've a feeling there wouldn't be any complaints from neighbours but still I'll keep on my toes and if needs be, move it to my brothers house.

Cheers for all the replies anyways!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

congo_90 wrote:
    it's only a 9 year old Hyundai so the risk of it being robbed is slim enough

... by professional car thieves. Joyriding scumbags on the other hand are more than happy trying to lift any car, and regardless of success can cause quite a hefty amount of damage trying to get it moving :mad:

Why would a "professional car thief" try rob a 9 year old 1.3 litre car compared to say.. a bmw down the road.
    I won't go off topic about the "professional car thief" maybe in ranting foum.

As for joy riders, They're usually so stoned outta their bins or inexerienced in cars that they generally target cars that don't have immobilisers which eliminates my car from their selection.

The hard part for me though is if some chav does make an attempt because the no insurance won't fix a broken window.

Only way to move my car:

Tow it
    Keys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

If the council collect the bins and maintain the roads etc in the estate then you're parking on a public road. Check with the management company if necessary.

Also don't you need to declare it off the road with your local garda station so you won't have to pay back road-tax and can freeze your insurance ? If so then they can tell you then they might be able to tell you if it's a public road or not.

If the council collect the bins and maintain the roads etc in the estate then you're parking on a public road. Check with the management company if necessary.

Also don't you need to declare it off the road with your local garda station so you won't have to pay back road-tax and can freeze your insurance ? If so then they can tell you then they might be able to tell you if it's a public road or not.

Management company look after roads. There is a bin collection service by two private companies. The issue of declaring off the road isn't a problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sorry Congo, I think you might have misinterpreted my post :o

Some scumbag stealing to order, for money, or whatever, won't touch your car.

This does nothing to stop random lowlifes from smashing your door, window(s) and electronics to bits trying to start it and joyride off in it for their own amusement :o Its not that they'll succeed; they don't have to as they'll make a mess of your car simply trying :(

Sorry solitare,
    Yea I get ya.. have had erm.. past experiences with the local low lives.. shower of cnuts! Lifted anything valuable except a folder I left in the backseat accidentally with my pps number and bank statements and other files!

Advertisement