Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor Selection

Options
  • 26-07-2009 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey everyone I am in the process of getting a new Laptop from Dell.

I am trying to get the best specs for it possible and within my budget.
    Basically I need it for College, I will be going back into do a Postgraduate this year.

I want to spend within the 800-900max.

So far I think I have done grand.

But I am having problems deciding on a processor, basically the one Dell recommends bumps my price up closer to 1000 euro. I am just wondering if it is necessary:

linebr.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifIntel® Celeron™ Dual-Core Processor T1600 (1.66GHz, 1MB, 667MHz) [subtract € 129.99]
    spacer.gifspacer.gifIntel® Pentium® Processor T4200 (2.0GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache) [subtract € 80.00]
    spacer.gifspacer.gifIntel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache) [Included in Price]
    [SIZE=-1]Dell Recommended[/SIZE]spacer.gifspacer.gifIntel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40Ghz, 3MB, 1066MHz) [add € 100.01 or €4/month1]
    spacer.gifspacer.gifIntel® Celeron® Processor 900 (2.20 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) [subtract € 160.00]

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

Could you give us a bit more information on what it might be necessary for? What are you going to be doing on the laptop? If your just taking notes then maybe a netbook would be a better bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭thesecretforme

I'll be taking notes, writing essays and using the internet, watching a bit of youtube. It's a Dell 15 I think. I am just about ready to buy it, I just want to know will I be okay for the next few years with this processor?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unless you want to do programming/photoshopping/CAD/gaming on it then you'd be mad to spend any more than €450 as you really don't need much spec to run Firefox and Office :P Get a netbook, or (far better) a cheap subnotebook (12.1") with a basic C2D CPU (look for Celeron with a 4-digit "T" number) and maybe even an integrated optical drive if you can find one. Might not have as good a spec as a cheap €450-500 15.4" laptop but you don't really want to snap your spine in half, do you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭thesecretforme

And would I need a large processor then or not?

Is a lower processor from the selection above, okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

I have a lovely little NC10 that I use for all that and it's never failed me. Fantastic battery life and a decent 160GB hard drive, I'd highly recommend it for what you'd be using it for. There was a problem with a bit of software that came with it messing up audio but after uninstalling it I could watch fairly large video files with no problems at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

A T**** CPU (branded as Celerons but structurally C2D) is probably more than enough, heck a netbook with a horrid Atom CPU could handle your web-surfing (and -watching) and just about run Office. A 12.1" laptop is far better IMHO but if you can't find a cheap one then just get a Samsung nettop or something and ditch the full-size laptop.

Advertisement