Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Duty for camera from America..

Options
  • 26-07-2009 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im wondering if anyone can let me know if I have to pay duty for a camera that is being sent from America...

I found the second hand camera online and the guy who was selling it lives in Seattle in the US.

My brother lives 15 miles away from this guy and he met up with him and paid him cash for the camera.

My brother is now going to send me over the camera and I am going to transfer the money into his bank account.

Do I need to pay duty when the camera arrives as Im not buying if it from a shop?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

this is not exactly related.. but last year was in the states looking to buy a certain product and they didnt have it in stock. the shop assistant was quite insistant with the sale and said they would order them in. so we said no thanks because we would be done for customs etc but he said he wouldnt send them in anything to do with the shop would send them as a gift avoiding customs etc. so i think as long as theres no commercial logos etc on box..you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

VAT is what you may have to pay, and it doesn't matter that you haven't bought it from a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

The threshold is quite low even if item is marked as a gift - if over the cost of €50 you will be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here's a good response from the FAQ sticky in the photography section.

It won't matter if it's marked as a gift or not, Customs can inspect any parcel they suspect of being over the import threshold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Your brother needs to put it in a box as a birthday present. No more needs to be said.

Play innocent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

ascottdub wrote: »
    Your brother needs to put it in a box as a birthday present. No more needs to be said.

Play innocent

How will that help with the tax? It wouldn't be tax exempt, and revenue love opening boxes marked as gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    How will that help with the tax? It wouldn't be tax exempt, and revenue love opening boxes marked as gifts.

They especially love items marked as gift. It tends to draw their attention.

In short, you should expect to pay VAT on the imported camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Maybe il get him to throw a birthday card in with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cool Mo D wrote: »

Correct.
    bigbadcon wrote: »
    Maybe il get him to throw a birthday card in with it...

That won't do any good. You'll just have to wait and see what happens when it arrives. You'll either have to pay the VAT or you won't. There's nothing you can do to get around that. Falsely declaring it as a gift, or falsely declaring the value on the customs declaration, are both tax evasion, and highly illegal.

Make sure there's a receipt with it in the box, or customs can value it themselves (possibly higher than you paid) and charge you accordingly.

Advertisement