Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unique coffee shops in Dublin

Options
  • 26-07-2009 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Was in Krakow last week and my friend took me to some nice coffee shops. One was a book store come coffee shop, and another had an aquarium beside each table and played chill out music.

My friend asked if there was such unique coffee shops in Dublin, but I don't know any. Does anyone know an unusual coffee shop here?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

well not exactly a coffee shop but the Tea garden is a pretty nice unique sort of place, on the Ormond quays opposite the clarence

http://tea-garden.eu/hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Along similar lines to the aquarium cafe in Krakow, you've got Cafe Noto on Thomas St, with a window to see junkies shooting up while you relax with your coffee... (But seriously, they do have good coffee in there)

Tbh though, I'd rather not have too many quirks, just good coffee, free wifi and a bit of quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Simon's in the George's Street arcade.

The quirky thing is the very attractive girls who work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Cake Cafe at the back of the Daintree Building on Camden Street.

Queen of Tarts on Dame Street.

I miss the old Winding Stair though. Anyone remember the old Resource Centre on Temple Bar too? You could make a pot of tea last all afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Unshelved wrote: »
    Cake Cafe at the back of the Daintree Building on Camden Street.

Queen of Tarts on Dame Street.

I miss the old Winding Stair though. Anyone remember the old Resource Centre on Temple Bar too? You could make a pot of tea last all afternoon.

Oooh, good choices! I love Cake Cafe, the bike racks are so much fun to look at, you could spend hours sitting there looking at them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

The Food Gallery and Cafe Irae both in Thomas Street are good. The Food Gallery is classy but unique, well I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Science Gallery in TCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Claire-tha-bear

Coffee society is my favourite place to go when I need a break from shopping. It is a chain as far as I know but its not as commercial as say, Insomnia or starbucks! Its not even 3 euro for a grande cup of coffee, and its 2 euro for soup :)

Even though you are smack bang in the middle of town you feel like you're away from all the hustle and bustle because the room is darkly lit and they play chill out jazzy music. I love it:) you should go in for some tea and cake :)

a lot of the places mentioned here are ridiculously overpriced as well, which ruins the uniqueness of it I think. I've found that cafes on the south of the city are way over the top with prices just because disillusioned people think that it is some how classier than the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I read an article earlier today how Starbucks is piloting a new approach to coffee shops to 'to create a distinct, bespoke, of-the-neighborhood coffeehouse'.

They seem to have lost sight of the irony of a global brand company trying to manufacture 'an authentic neighborhood coffeehouse experience' :rolleyes:

http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/merholz/2009/07/why-the-starbucks-15th-ave-sto.html

Advertisement