Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emersion switch sparking

Options
  • 26-07-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Just wondering, is it normal for an emersion switch to spark when you switch it on and off?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

it all depend on the make of switch and also the how good thw switch are made off

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Any easy way to tell? Its just white plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A lot of older type switch will show a little sparking during switching. In most cases you wont see unless its darkish.

Has it only started doing this? Is it just between the gap of the switch and the housing? Any signs of buring, looking or smell?

Only really noticed when it was dark.
    It does seem to be just at the back of the switch.
    Doesnt seem to be any burning or smell, though I suppose
    I could switch off the power and check just to be on the safe side.

When you say "older", how old? The house is only 2 years up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A lot older than 2 years. I wouldn't really be worried about it, it could be a cheap switch. You could disconnect the supply and check if you wanted to put your mind at rest, or switch out for a better quality switch completely.

• Advertisement

Excellent, thanks Davy

Advertisement