Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition against ivf meds cutbacks on dps card

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I'm not sure you understand how bad things are in the health service.

Would you, for example, donate money to a charity which was fundraising for infertility treatment, lets say in Africa or the poorer parts of South America? Or would you rather see your money go to more pressing needs?

Wouldnt it be an awful shame, after all those years of ttc -ing, to be successfull, only to find your child was ill, and whose sufferring was prolonged or who's life could not be saved, or who's treatment was cocked up by over worked staff, because money was not available to run a health system properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rainbowrapids

Again you are taking the point I made out of context. I specified that anyone who fixates on one and only one thing as the only thing that will make them happy and their lives will otherwise be ruined unless they can have this one thing, as having an unhealthy mental attitude. And i stand by that.

Not all infertility sufferers will go on to have ruined lives because of this one thing, many of them will move on, accept fate and have a good life despite this horrible medical condition. It will never be something that they forget, and there will always be a measure of sadness associated with it, but they will move on - it is a normal behaviour of a mentally healthy human being to experience suffering and then move on from that suffering.

However, for those who feel that their lives completely ruined and they can never get over this, and there is no meaning to their lives, then in those cases I would suggest that they have an unhealthy mental attitude as in the grand scheme of things there are many areas of life that can bring joy and meaning to a person, and to fixate on just this one specific thing to the detriment of all others is not a healthy attitude to have.

To get back to my original point, which was in fact a generalisation, although you seem unable to comprehend that, any kind of mental fixation to the detriment of all other areas of life, is unhealthy. That is the point I was making. I have applied it to the specific case above, but my original point was aimed at the general case.

Hi, I posted earlier in response to this. Maybe you didn't see my post.

Here it is:

I haven't read anyone on here who has said or intimated those sentiments.

I haven't actually met, spoken or known anyone online who is infertile who has said or intimated those sentiments.

People dealing with infertility are all around, living lives with quiet dignity.

Living a life that is different than it would be had they not learnt that they were infertile.

Yes infertility is a loss. A loss of being able to do one of the most fundamental things a human can do. That causes pain. What I've learnt as someone who is infertile is that the human has a great capacity for dealing with pain and joy, far beyond what I realised beforehand. It's important to understand that while we are living with infertility we are typically holding down jobs, caring for our family and friends, having a laugh, doing our bit to contribute to society, playing sports and working out on a regular basis how we're going to approach the rest of our lives.

For some of us the loss of this DPS might mean that we'll have to give up on the hope offered by IVF sooner than we had hoped.

But we'll cope. Humans are amazing at coping, truly we are.

We'll still fight the brave fight to protect any funding though, sure wouldn't we be crazy not to!

That said, I am at a loss to know where this perception is coming from and would really welcome clarification on this - is it from personal experience? Not from this thread though? biggrin.gif

xx
    ps: by putting the whole notion of people fixating etc.,. in the third paragraph of your response where the first relates to infertile people in a response on a thread regarding dps funding for infertility treatment, I draw the logical conclusion that you have some experience of a number of infertile people who have this reaction. Given that this is not what I've witnessed, and is possibly a misrepresentation and unfair portrayal of people who are infertile and are often subject to moral scrutiny and judgement, which is in part a reason for secrecy around this issue, I really would appreciate your clarification on this point.

I respect that our opinions diverge on the funding issue but I am keen to ensure that people dealing with infertility are portrayed accurately at all time. In the future I hope that this issue is discussed more openly and believe that this will only happen when society at large understand what it is to be infertile.

Looking forward to your response :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

That said, I am at a loss to know where this perception is coming from and would really welcome clarification on this - is it from personal experience? Not from this thread though? biggrin.gif

Resonded to you above Rainbow.

Edited to add further clarification, I have a number of friends (some closer than others obviously), who are currently suffering from or have in the past suffered from infertility. Despite this awful condition they have all spoken of not allowing this to takeover their entire lives and are still able to draw joy from other areas of life. I strongly disagreed with an earlier point made that it was impossible for someone suffering from infertility to live a full, happy, healthy life - my experience with the issue through close friendships would lead me to believe otherwise.

Username123 - thanks, we were simultaneously responding! Exciting times on boards.ie! I hope you understand why I am so eager to ensure that we are represented accurately, honestly every infertile person I've come across has surprised me in how stoic their public face is and how hard they try to deal with this honestly most difficult condition ;)

Metrovelvet - one of the saddest infertility stories I have come across is a lady living in dignity with her husband in sub-saharan Africa, I met her in cyber-space when she was asking for information about infertility treatment, she had posted long before I came across her post so we didn't converse. It was one of the most heart-rendering stories, reading it and knowing from the tone of the post that it was most unlikely that she would ever be able to even gain some of the investigatory tests that I've been able to do with my savings from my joe-average job.

On a personal level I do donate to a charity but not infertility, actually it is a good suggestion and I'll research it. I sponser a child in Cambodia (fantastic country, had the privilege to visit it before I had to save so hard for all this treatment :pac: - ah sure maybe I'll get there again). I have sponsored her for a long time, long before we found out about this, and I guess I haven't really thought about contributing to issues around infertility as I'm only really getting around to dealing with it myself. Contributing to this thread has awakened something though, and it is an interesting suggestion around funding.

IMHO infertility would be as awful a thing to deal with regardless of where you live. Again, to be clear I'm not into pitting one illness/geographical infertility/the issue of infertility in a third world country versus other issues facing that country, so I'd prefer not to go down that route IYDM!!!

xx

Username123 - thanks, we were simultaneously responding! Exciting times on boards.ie! I hope you understand why I am so eager to ensure that we are represented accurately, honestly every infertile person I've come across has surprised me in how stoic their public face is and how hard they try to deal with this honestly most difficult condition ;)

And then we were again!!! It was in fact because I so strongly agreed with your posts that I so strongly disagreed with the point I was disputing!!!

Your posts have been extremely informative and interesting.

• Advertisement

Username123 LOL! (and blush - thanks for your kind words)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I dont see it as a medical need. Not in the same way that preserving life that is already in existance is a medical need. Whats wrong with holding that opinion? Oh wait, because it differs from yours its callous and patronising?

And once again, you seem unable to take my words in context and have drawn your own incorrect conclusions. I did not mention people fixating on their fertility, I stated people fixating on ANYTHING was an unhealthy mental attitude to have. Which is, I believe, a valid point.

On the subject of 'get over it, we are not paying for it' - may I remind you, they are your words, not mine. However, I dont believe public monies should be used to fund these medicines in the current ecomonic climate - as I have stated before.

Not that I dont believe these medicines are unworthy of being provided, or that infertility is unworthy of being treated, but in case you havent realised, we are in a recession and cutbacks have to be made. You yourself would rather deprive a sports club of a defibrillator (that might actually save a LIFE) to save money, as you have stated on this thread - did I label you callous for doing so? No I did not - please refrain from making personal comments of that nature to me again - simply for stating my opinion - I did not make any personal comments about you or your opinions.

First up . . apologies for calling you callous. . I was out of order . . heat of the debate . . .

You are being a bit clever with your words though . . the issue here isn't really whether or not people can live a happy, healthy fulfilled life with infertility. . I suppose that depends very much on the person, whatever supports they have around them and whatever else is going on in their lives. Not something I really want to debate . . I can only comment on my own experiences and those of people around me . .

The issue here is around whether or not infertility is a medical condition worthy of publicly funded treatment. You introduced the idea that people could live a happy, healthy and fulfilled life as rationale to confirm your view that infertility is not a medical need. I take issue with that view and I don't think its fair. I think it demeans the suffering of those people who are infertile and I think it does smack of "Get on with it. ." (My words). Maybe most people have a healthy mental attitude and can get on with it but thats not really the point ! I don't believe our society should ask them to.

Also, in the interest of being clear, I never stated that sports clubs should be deprived of defibrillators to save money. I argued that in terms of prioritising public expenditure allocation of funding to a condition that affects many (infertility) should take priority over allocation of funding to mitigate what is a very very small risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Guys because of the sensitive nature of this and its relevance to the forum we did not remove this petition when it was posted, however; as a general rule please do not post petitions on this forum without first clearing it with the Parenting mods.

First up . . apologies for calling you callous. . I was out of order . . heat of the debate . . .
    Accepted.
    The issue here is around whether or not infertility is a medical condition worthy of publicly funded treatment.

Actually I believe it is as worthy as public funding as any other medical condition - but when cutbacks have to be made (current economic crisis etc), I think its an area where I can live with the cutback, given the reasons I stated earlier (possible to live full happy life etc...), whereas in the case of cancer treatment I think chances of full happy life etc without treatment are far less.
    I dont think people should just get over it, get on with it, whatever - but I do think that in the grand scheme of things there are bigger medical problems out there that public funding in scarce times is more suitable for. In good times, fund everything we can. In bad times, concentrate on the life saving critical stuff - thats all.

Incidentally, I had a conversation about infertility with someone this morning, who told me himself and his wife (she is not Irish) travelled to another country (her home country) for infertility treatment as its so much cheaper outside of Ireland etc...(they were successful btw and have a child now as a result of this). They werent capped at 3 attempts and all treatment was a fraction of Irish price - not just meds.

It got me thinking about the cost of these meds. Would it be cheaper for Irish people to source these medications in a different country where a prescription from Ireland could be filled at a fraction of the price? With a cheap flight it could work out a lot more worthwhile - despite the hassle of travel.

Its already cheaper to fill many prescriptions up north or in France/Spain - perhaps this is something worth investigating for people who need these medications? Or am I living in a dreamland Utopia of cheap medicines with this notion?

• Advertisement

Actually I believe it is as worthy as public funding as any other medical condition - but when cutbacks have to be made (current economic crisis etc), I think its an area where I can live with the cutback, given the reasons I stated earlier (possible to live full happy life etc...), whereas in the case of cancer treatment I think chances of full happy life etc without treatment are far less.
    I dont think people should just get over it, get on with it, whatever - but I do think that in the grand scheme of things there are bigger medical problems out there that public funding in scarce times is more suitable for. In good times, fund everything we can. In bad times, concentrate on the life saving critical stuff - thats all.

That is pretty far away from your opening position where you couldn't accept that infertility was a medical need ?
    This is an extremely interesting thread.

Personally I do not believe that the state should be funding the medicines associated with fertility treatment.

I agree that its extremely sad if a couple wants to have a child and cannot do so naturally. But I do not agree that the state has a responsibility to partially fund the medicines associated with it.

As a society I believe we are responsible for looking after the medical needs of our citizens. But I do not see fertility treatment as a medical need.
    Perhaps I have helped to change your mind ?;)
    Incidentally, I had a conversation about infertility with someone this morning, who told me himself and his wife (she is not Irish) travelled to another country (her home country) for infertility treatment as its so much cheaper outside of Ireland etc...(they were successful btw and have a child now as a result of this). They werent capped at 3 attempts and all treatment was a fraction of Irish price - not just meds.

It got me thinking about the cost of these meds. Would it be cheaper for Irish people to source these medications in a different country where a prescription from Ireland could be filled at a fraction of the price? With a cheap flight it could work out a lot more worthwhile - despite the hassle of travel.

Its already cheaper to fill many prescriptions up north or in France/Spain - perhaps this is something worth investigating for people who need these medications? Or am I living in a dreamland Utopia of cheap medicines with this notion?

Wow . . dangerous precedent here . . we have been exporting our abortion problem for years with our collective heads in the sand. I would hate to see us exporting our infertility problem too . .

That is pretty far away from your opening position where you couldn't accept that infertility was a medical need ?

Not really, if the money was there Id be happy to see pretty much anything that improves peoples quality of life funded. I may not have qualified every single statement I made but its the current economic problem that leads me to saying we shouldnt be funding infertility treatment with public monies, because as a comparison with other issues its not a 'need' (ie, you wont die without it). (I still hold with that position :))

But hey, if the money was there, and the country was rich - go for it.

Perhaps - although I feel im still in much the same place!!! Yikes!!
    Wow . . dangerous precedent here . . we have been exporting our abortion problem for years with our collective heads in the sand. I would hate to see us exporting our infertility problem too . .

Apples and oranges, abortion is exported due to religious and social precedent - not financial restriction.
    Id look more on the comparison as (*and please note, the following statement is not to compare plastic surgery with infertility and claim they are similar, I am simply using an example of something that changes someones quality of life and is expensive*), perhaps reconstructive surgery to correct scarring? As in, I doubt anyone fundamentally disagrees with reconstruction surgery (or infertility treatment) but people do hold strong views on abortion - which is why its exported.

Im simply suggesting people may get better value for money if they go abroad.

From what I have read of others experiences (haven't tried it myself), receiving treatment abroad as an option has a load of potential benefits - arguably countries with more experience and larger population base provide better outcomes, for example the ARGC clinic in the UK would be seen as strong contenders as leaders (in IVF) as would Cornell in New York (particularly in areas of male infertility) - for example the magnification used when identifying viable sperm.

Some other countries have much lax-er polices with regard to the number of embryos they will transfer, how quickly they will up your medications. They may not do as much preliminary counselling/meetings as some of our clinics here which adds time to the process. They also can be more open to providing donor options to people interested in this or providing treatment to those in same-sex relationships or who are single.

That said there are down-sides too - it can take a lot of time and additional money (in terms of travel costs, salary lost due to taking time off work - and the best clinics are unsurprisingly the dearerst, it's the market baby!).

I've never been clear on how it works with medication - I did understand that you still had to get your prescription here if you are resident here. Might be wrong on this.

In a standard IVF long protocol there is about a month of medication prior to the actual egg collection, insemination and if you're lucky enough (sadly treatment cycles are stopped all the time for various reasons) embryo transfer. The short protocol involves two weeks of medication before the above. During the last two weeks you go to a clinic every two (or sometimes more/less) days for a blood test and internal scan (pleasant :p). Then you spend typically two weeks feeling every twinge in your tummy and crossing your toes with hope before testing :rolleyes:.

While the process goes quite quickly (except for the two weeks at the end!), as someone who completed an unsuccessful cycle about three weeks ago, I can confirm that you're pretty wrecked afterwards. Normally people are traipsing in and out of work and keeping it secret from their colleagues which adds to the strain.

I've been thinking about this issue a lot (natch given our debate!) and wonder how many people actually do go for a fourth cycle. For most IVF patients there would be a lot of treatments offered before this, such as IUI, clomid etc.,. depending on the nature of the infertility (if it identified at all).

In our case sadly we weren't offered any other options and this is the only assisted reproductive technique the clinic felt was suitable, but luckily for anyone afraid of finding out that they are infertile we are in the very special small percentage who are like this.

General wisdom suggests that three cycles should provide the optimum chance for success - for some people this doesn't work and they may be successful on a fourth or further cycle, but often people chose to give up at that point due to financial and emotional/personal reasons.

It is important to also bear in mind that with IVF different clinics offer different levels of testing/approaches in terms of treatment. This makes it even more confusing to the person undergoing treatment as to move clinic there is additional consultation costs, and the testing itself can run to thousands - for example immune testing, i.e. for killer cells etc.,. (only offered in one clinic to my knowledge in Ireland) blood is sent abroad and costs over a €1,000, and the AMH blood test sees your blood going to London for assessment (I think that one was about €100/€200 I've lost track at this stage! :)).

I wonder how many people we're talking about here as if we had an idea of funding required it might contribute to the debate. As far as I understand it we're talking about around €4,800 per cycle (this is as the first set of meds, required for treatment fell into month 1 and the second bit required for the 2 week wait was in month 2).

ALSO, and very important! A lot of clinics (in Ireland) will only treat you for a maximum of three (fresh - as in not including frozen embryos, which I am at pains to explain not a lot of people actually have, I didn't realise that before we went through this ourselves) cycles, so for someone to go through a fourth cycle in a clinic either they normally must change altogether or the clinic itself must have a strong case for believing they might succeed on that cycle (all the clinics are judged on their success rates and people chose them on that basis - private market! - so they don't like to have unsuccessful cycles if they can avoid them, not saying that they chose their customers on that basis, but YKWIM!).

While €4,800 is a lot of money (to me anyway!), if we're talking about a small minority of people, it might be acceptable to fund. If we're talking a huge amount perhaps there could be some way of managing this so that the person can pay a contributory fee larger than that required or that they could even put this through their Med 1 form and claim 20% back.

We're going to our clinic tomorrow to have a 'post-treatment' consultation and I'm dreading it as they could just tell us that's it for us (BTW, I'm also having a pleasant evening otherwise though! again the human capacity for pain and joy!).

Quite frankly at this point I can't imagine going through this process more than twice more! And as I said we are in the minority that this was our only option, so the people willing to go through the psychological, physical and money-draining treatment four times are highly motivated and I believe incredibly brave in their quest to have a family.

xx

I guess only you know what you meant, but this is a pretty unequivocal statement :
    I agree that its extremely sad if a couple wants to have a child and cannot do so naturally. But I do not agree that the state has a responsibility to partially fund the medicines associated with it.

I don't believe that the states responsibilities change as the amount of public monies available changes . . do you ?

It's also a dangerous precedent. . The logical extension of the argument you put forward is that there are a list of publicly funded treatments available and that as times get harder, one by one, treatments get removed from the list. . . By your definition, infertility comes off the list because "you won't die without it". Does the same logic apply to all non-life saving treatments? What's next and who decides? Does the same logic apply to medical card holders? I think that would be fair but the extension here is that during tougher times the more well off will retain a good quality of life (because they will continue to be able to afford their non-life saving meds) while the less well off will suffer. And who decides when we can afford to put it back on the list ? Is it ever prioritised over building a bigger road between Dublin and Mullingar, reducing primary school class sizes or putting debirillators in every sports club across the country. I don't think a health service can operate in this manner.
    Would it be cheaper for Irish people to source these medications in a different country where a prescription from Ireland could be filled at a fraction of the price? With a cheap flight it could work out a lot more worthwhile - despite the hassle of travel. Its already cheaper to fill many prescriptions up north or in France/Spain - perhaps this is something worth investigating for people who need these medications? Or am I living in a dreamland Utopia of cheap medicines with this notion?
    On the issue of sourcing medications abroad, the only reasons why medications should be cheaper abroad is either a) foreign governments are better at striking a deal with the pharmaceutical companies (in which case surely the better answer is for our government to get tougher with the Pharma's to resolve this problem rather than take away medications) or b) foreign governments subsidise the cost of medications in these countries . . Do we really expect foreign taxpayers to pay for medications for Irish citizens, medications that we remove from our list because we can't afford it ?
    From what I have read of others experiences (haven't tried it myself), receiving treatment abroad as an option has a load of potential benefits - arguably countries with more experience and larger population base provide better outcomes, for example the ARGC clinic in the UK would be seen as strong contenders as leaders (in IVF) as would Cornell in New York (particularly in areas of male infertility) - for example the magnification used when identifying viable sperm.

Some other countries have much lax-er polices with regard to the number of embryos they will transfer, how quickly they will up your medications. They may not do as much preliminary counselling/meetings as some of our clinics here which adds time to the process. They also can be more open to providing donor options to people interested in this or providing treatment to those in same-sex relationships or who are single.

Sourcing medical treatment abroad is a much more concerning issue. On the one hand there are countries where a better, more advanced service may be available (eg UK & US). However for such options, combined with the cost of travel couples are likely to end up spending a lot more money. . As rainbowrapids says, infertility treatment requires a lot of doctors appointments, often at short notice and often over a protracted period of time. On the other hand, there are countries where it will certainly be cheaper but you might also find that the standard of care is much lower. That for the right price couples may be able to take risks with their lives (and the lives of their unborn) that we in Ireland, rightly, would not allow; where the ethical lines of what is right and wrong in infertility treatment are even more blurred. I don't know if you saw the TV show recently about older mothers who have given birth by IVF but it was truly scary what clinics in other countries would do for the right price.

I guess only you know what you meant, but this is a pretty unequivocal statement :

I don't believe that the states responsibilities change as the amount of public monies available changes . . do you ?

I do. Once all critical stuff is taken care of, if there is money left over then the state has a responsibility to go and use it for other things that its citizens want funding for. Infertility treatments being one of them.
    Its getting boring repeating myself, but all my statements against are made in the context of the current economic crisis.
    It's also a dangerous precedent. . The logical extension of the argument you put forward is that there are a list of publicly funded treatments available and that as times get harder, one by one, treatments get removed from the list. . . By your definition, infertility comes off the list because "you won't die without it". Does the same logic apply to all non-life saving treatments? What's next and who decides? Does the same logic apply to medical card holders? I think that would be fair but the extension here is that during tougher times the more well off will retain a good quality of life (because they will continue to be able to afford their non-life saving meds) while the less well off will suffer. And who decides when we can afford to put it back on the list ? Is it ever prioritised over building a bigger road between Dublin and Mullingar, reducing primary school class sizes or putting debirillators in every sports club across the country. I don't think a health service can operate in this manner.

I dont know the answers to the questions above, presumably the government that the people voted in decides whats next. Isnt it already the case that the less well off suffer more due to waiting lists in the public health system Vs paying for a private appointment?
    I wasnt trying to begin a crusade of dangerous precedents, I was simply conjecturing aloud that perhaps people could save money abroad. Seems to me that you want to argue even points raised that might help infertility sufferers!!
    On the issue of sourcing medications abroad, the only reasons why medications should be cheaper abroad is either a) foreign governments are better at striking a deal with the pharmaceutical companies (in which case surely the better answer is for our government to get tougher with the Pharma's to resolve this problem rather than take away medications) or b) foreign governments subsidise the cost of medications in these countries . . Do we really expect foreign taxpayers to pay for medications for Irish citizens, medications that we remove from our list because we can't afford it ?

See my answer above.
    Sourcing medical treatment abroad is a much more concerning issue. On the one hand there are countries where a better, more advanced service may be available (eg UK & US). However for such options, combined with the cost of travel couples are likely to end up spending a lot more money. . As rainbowrapids says, infertility treatment requires a lot of doctors appointments, often at short notice and often over a protracted period of time. On the other hand, there are countries where it will certainly be cheaper but you might also find that the standard of care is much lower. That for the right price couples may be able to take risks with their lives (and the lives of their unborn) that we in Ireland, rightly, would not allow; where the ethical lines of what is right and wrong in infertility treatment are even more blurred. I don't know if you saw the TV show recently about older mothers who have given birth by IVF but it was truly scary what clinics in other countries would do for the right price.

I think the ethical lines are already extremely blurred on the subject of infertility treatment. Humans deciding to 'unnaturally' induce a conception in cases where it doesnt happen naturally is already working against natural selection.
    Do I have an issue with it? No. I think that we go against natural selection and do extremely questionable ethical things in medicine all the time, but Im not God so I cant say if its right or wrong.
    If people want to take risks with their own lives then thats their own business.

Well, people are having to go abroad for healthcare because they cant get it here. Ive done it twice myself, I know someone else who had to go for cancer treatment, and another for heart surgery, and I'll have to do it again.

Seems to me that you want to argue even points raised that might help infertility sufferers!!

I don't believe that exporting the responsibility and cost, forcing infertility sufferers to seek potentially more dangerous treatments at higher cost abroad does anything to help infertility sufferers.
    I think the ethical lines are already extremely blurred on the subject of infertility treatment. Humans deciding to 'unnaturally' induce a conception in cases where it doesnt happen naturally is already working against natural selection.
    Do I have an issue with it? No. I think that we go against natural selection and do extremely questionable ethical things in medicine all the time, but Im not God so I cant say if its right or wrong.
    If people want to take risks with their own lives then thats their own business.

You are right, if people want to take risks with their own lives it is none of our business. If they feel they have to take risks, or worse if they take risks that they are not aware of because they have no other choice,or because they weren't given the right standard of care and information in a safe environment to enable them to make a medically sound decision then it certainly is our business.

Well, people are having to go abroad for healthcare because they cant get it here. Ive done it twice myself, I know someone else who had to go for cancer treatment, and another for heart surgery, and I'll have to do it again.

I don't know anything about the personal experiences you mention but there are lots of people who go abroad for cancer treatment, or advanced surgery on referral from the Irish Health system. Such cases are very different and a good example of international healthcare systems working together.

When patients have to travel abroad without referral or recommendation to a less well controlled healthcare system in order to save money that is very different and very concerning, regardless of what the treatment or condition is.

I wanted to say a big thank you to the 785 people (myself included) who signed this petition so far. It means a hell of a lot to know that there are people out there who recognise infertility as a condition worthy of public assistance in terms of funding.

There's been a lot of debate on this thread (hearty and interesting debate I might add!) about infertility and whether it constitutes an illness or how it fits in with other chronic conditions and illnesses.

I thought it might be helpful to include here the definition of infertility by the World Health Organisation and why they view it as an illness.

'The medical definition of infertility is the failure to conceive following twelve months of unprotected intercourse. Global estimates of infertility range between 8 and 12% of couples with women of childbearing age, affecting between 50 and 80 million people

The WHO defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” Infertility, accordingly, is a source of diminished health and social well-being.'

Source: http://www.who.int/genomics/gender/en/index6.html

I hope this helps contextualise infertility.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

For those who say that having children is a lifestyle choice, not a medical need, and should not be funded by the taxpayer, how do you justify that all antenatal care, childbirth and postnatal care is funded 100% by the taxpayer, regardless of the patient's income, medical status, residency?

For the 80% of those who do not have problems conceiving, all baby-related health care is 100% free. For the unlucky 20%, it is not. So it's ok for taxpayers to pay to take the baby out but not to put it in?

• Advertisement

I have just come across this discussion thread and am completely blown away by some of the comments that people have left. I would never comment on something as sensitive as this if i did not have first-hand experience of it. It amazes me that people will make statements about something they have no experience or knowledge of.

Unfotunately I have plenty of experience of infertility - so I have no problem commenting on something I know plenty about. Yes, I am one of those "selfish" people who longs to have a family with the man I love.

My husband was born with serious complications and had to have extensive surgery on many of his vital organs as a child. This has blighted his whole life. Besides nearly dying as a baby, he spent much of his childhood in hospital and still suffers with bad kidney infections and other complications. When we met he told me all about his problems, he also feared that his sperm production would have been affected. It didn't matter to me I was there for the good and the bad. We got married young as we were so keen to start a family. We had so many hopes and dreams for the future. As it turned out my husband's feras were true.

Six years later our life is still on hold. After two IVF (fresh) and three FET we still have no baby to hold and call our own. Watching friends and family moving on with their lives, having children, creating futures is hard to deal with at times. As much as I love my nieces and nephews it only makes me realise the void I have in my life and how much i would would love a child of my own. Nobody who has not been through IVF can even begin to understand the pain of going through a cycle only for it to turn out negative. This has taken over our whole life. It is all i think about - and I will not give up.

Some people have lost sight of the OP. I have seen comments from people about free IVF etc. Nobody is talking about free funding - this is a discussion of the DPS scheme.

DPS covers medication only. We still have to pay the cost of IVF itself. Which for me is about 5,000 for fresh cycle. Everybody in Ireland is entitled to the DPS. No matter what your condition, ailment, complaint etc. So this idea of putting money towards more worthwhile causes is rubbish. As somebody rightly put it the DPS covers everything from nicorette to viagra. Nobody in Ireland pays more that 100 euros a month for medication - no matter what its intention - why should i be different. HSE are removing the DPS scheme after three cycles.

My husband and I both work full time, pay taxes. We both pay private health insurance which covers NONE of the treatment.

I am sorry for the long post. But I had to get some things off my chest. I have been feeling very down the last few days and when I read some of the comments on this thread they really upset me. I take comments like some that have been made very personally. But then I remember I am a good person, in a loving relationship, who wants to create a happy future and life for myself and my husband. Call me selfish if you want but I know different.

!

For those who say that having children is a lifestyle choice, not a medical need, and should not be funded by the taxpayer, how do you justify that all antenatal care, childbirth and postnatal care is funded 100% by the taxpayer, regardless of the patient's income, medical status, residency?

For the 80% of those who do not have problems conceiving, all baby-related health care is 100% free. For the unlucky 20%, it is not. So it's ok for taxpayers to pay to take the baby out but not to put it in?

Because before all this medical intrevention, childbirth was the number one killer of women. It is a health matter.

Also. the care is for the baby too, to make sure s/he is happy and healthy. It wasnt the baby's choice to be conceived.

IVF is a luxury. You want kids, you pay for them from pre-cradle to grave. I want bigger boobs and a smaller waistline but don't expect to take money from cancer patients (there are six in my family alone) to fulfil some women's dream of motherhood. It's the number one irritation-that every women has the "right" to a child-you do not. I'm a women and can't conceive-no-one's problem but mine and expecting someone else to foot the bill is the most selfish thing I've heard. I would support a petition to legalise a woman's right to reproductive freedom via abortion before this nonsense. Women and men who can't get preganat-maybe it's nature's way of weeding us out of the gene pool.

Me again from 4 posts ago. Thanks Rainbowrapids for you kind words they really cheered me up.

I am repeating myself for previous poster. This is a discussion on DPS (Drugs Payment Scheme). NOBODY in Ireland pays anymore than 100euro for medication. IVF or any other fertility treatment is paid for entirely by the patient to the hospital they are attending.

Get your boob job if you want - you'll have to pay for the procedure yourself, but you won't have to pay any more than 100 euro for any medications which you will need in your aftercare ie. painkillers, sleeping tablets, antibiotics etc.

Please people - inform yourself of the facts before posting. I am beginning to think that a lot of Irish people are not aware or do not understand the DPS scheme.

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

IVF is a luxury. You want kids, you pay for them from pre-cradle to grave. I want bigger boobs and a smaller waistline but don't expect to take money from cancer patients (there are six in my family alone) to fulfil some women's dream of motherhood. It's the number one irritation-that every women has the "right" to a child-you do not. I'm a women and can't conceive-no-one's problem but mine and expecting someone else to foot the bill is the most selfish thing I've heard. I would support a petition to legalise a woman's right to reproductive freedom via abortion before this nonsense. Women and men who can't get preganat-maybe it's nature's way of weeding us out of the gene pool.

Maybe the cancer afflicting the 6 people in your family is nature's way of weeding you lot out of the gene pool? What an unpleasant thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Folks,

Alluding to fellow posters as "sociopaths" or making harsh comments regarding Mother Nature "weeding people out" of the gene pool are not acceptable and you are bringing this conversation off the original point.

If ye cannot have a civil discussion regarding IVF without it descending into personal abuse and name-calling, the thread will be closed and posters may be banned if this sort of nonsense continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

All the talk is about cancer
    but a lot of people are treated under the drug scheme who have cause there health problem by abusing there health eg drug taking , alcohol , smoking ect do we not Give them help with the cost of drugs??
    What about the waste of money on drunks going to A+E at night??????
    If we want to save money we can find a lot more waste than picking on people who want to have a child?
    It is a joke that a working couple will have to pay up to €8000 euro to try to have a child when somebody on the dole can get it almost free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

seangal wrote: »
    All the talk is about cancer
    but a lot of people are treated under the drug scheme who have cause there health problem by abusing there health eg drug taking , alcohol , smoking ect do we not Give them help with the cost of drugs??
    What about the waste of money on drunks going to A+E at night??????
    If we want to save money we can find a lot more waste than picking on people who want to have a child?
    It is a joke that a working couple will have to pay up to €8000 euro to try to have a child when somebody on the dole can get it almost free

The smoker thing is a myth, they end up saving the State money by dying earlier and contributing a large portion of extra tax through the duty on cigarettes.

Though I agree about the drunks going into A&E at night.

Advertisement