Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom - getting back your favourites

Options
  • 26-07-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I left myself these instructions last time I updated my maps and lost all my favourites - however, since downloading the latest map, no sign of my precious records though I followed the instructions faithfully. Have I left some vital step out?
    Before installing a new map, move the file mapsettings.cfg out of its location, then copy it back into its old location at User/Documents/Tomtom/HOME/Backup/GO/Backup01/InternalMemory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Help! I'm going to visit a friend who lives in Ballybackobeyondkilremoteachas, and I've lost the route to his place. I'm going to be driving out around the arse end of Co Clare if no one can get me back my Favourites.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Connect your device to TomTom home.Look at items on my computer & see it they are stored there. If they are you just need to click add.

koolkid wrote: »
    Connect your device to TomTom home.Look at items on my computer & see it they are stored there. If they are you just need to click add.

I'm on a Mac, koolkid. However, I've gone through all the usual business of removing mapsettings.cfg from the TomTom's software before downloading a map, and putting it back in afterwards.

Apparently the coding geniuses in TomTom have changed the formatting of the mapsettings.cfg file, so this doesn't work any more. Idiots.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TomTom is also available for Mac.
    I would recommend everyone use it & make backups of your device & update map corrections.
    Copying the mapsetting file still worked for me upto WCE 830. Havn't tried it on WCE 835. What map are you using.

Koolkid, I do use TomTom Home for the Mac.

I'm using the latest 'UK and Ireland' map. Swapping in the mapsettings.cfg file worked up until the latest map, and now doesn't.

By the way, what size is your mapsettings.cfg file? Mine is 12KB, and I can't be sure it's not overwritten totally.

• Advertisement

Mine is 14k so its probobly right.

Does any Windows user have the ability to edit Favourites into a POI folder for me? I'd pay richly (well, a box of choccies or bottle of wine) anyone who'd do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Have you tried adding a new favourite through your Tom Tom Home software? This may force the file to be rewritten to the new format.

luckat wrote: »
    Does any Windows user have the ability to edit Favourites into a POI folder for me? I'd pay richly (well, a box of choccies or bottle of wine) anyone who'd do this.

How do you mean?
    Do you have your favourites stored somewhere besides mapsettings.cfg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

koolkid wrote: »
    How do you mean?
    Do you have your favourites stored somewhere besides mapsettings.cfg

Some programs like POIEdit can read the favourites from the file but are unable to write anything into this file format.

• Advertisement
Advertisement