Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

33bhp. what are they like to drive??

• 26-07-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Lads :)

Got my first bike the other day Bandit 600
    on a prov so will have to be restricted..

now my problem is..

my local mechanic (respected suzuki dealer) has said he can "restrict" the bike for 250. or actually restrict it for more (labour plus)
    he and others reckon its not worth even doing :confused:

im handy on bikes have been on dirt for the past 8 years.. still i know road is a different kettle of fish

what are 33bhp bikes like to ride.. i know a 33bhp bandit will top out at a ton :rolleyes:

but what are they like up to say 120kph?? safe enough bike for overtaking??

I know alot of people do the whole ride unrestricted thing.. and i can easily take em out myself but is it worth putting it in?? cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I have a Honda CBF600 - restricted.

It has enough power for overtaking, even when I am too lazy to change down a gear.

Oh, and I don't know what the top speed of the bike is - have not got to the point where it will not go any faster. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

P.C. wrote: »
    I have a Honda CBF600 - restricted.

It has enough power for overtaking, even when I am too lazy to change down a gear.

Oh, and I don't know what the top speed of the bike is - have not got to the point where it will not go any faster. :D

cheers bud.. the cb 6 would be a similiar engine to the bandit too..
    for the sake of being legal (for now) i think ill put it in.. no point taking risks..
    your yoke easily potter up too 70mph?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

aurin07 wrote: »
    cheers bud.. the cb 6 would be a similiar engine to the bandit too..
    your yoke easily potter up too 70mph?? :p

I won't tell you the speed I have had her up to, but it was illegal :o.
    Going from 80 kph to 120kph is quick.

I can't acelerate as quick as some, but that is me, not the bike.

P.C. wrote: »
    I won't tell you the speed I have had her up to, but it was illegal :o.
    Going from 80 kph to 120kph is quick.

I can't acelerate as quick as some, but that is me, not the bike.

80-120 is really nothin more then i need :D

cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Howya lads, i have a restricted fazer 600, and you shouldnt have hassle overtaking with the bandit unless the lad you are overtaking is doing ridiculous speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Never mind that-250 euro-Rip off there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Never mind that-250 euro-Rip off there!

€250 seems to be the standard on fitting a restrictor, give or take a few euro. What do you know that the rest of us don't :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

RosieJoe wrote: »
    €250 seems to be the standard on fitting a restrictor, give or take a few euro. What do you know that the rest of us don't :D
    From what I gather its the restrictor manufactures that have it at this price, the mechanics make very little on the restrictor fitting. The bulk of what you pay is for the restrictor kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i got a quote at the time for 250 for total, fitted and all in a honda main dealer in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

aurin07 wrote: »
    what are 33bhp bikes like to ride.. i know a 33bhp bandit will top out at a ton :rolleyes:

If you've never ridden a full power bike, then they're fine. If, like me, you passed your test back in the days before this madness, then they will feel very slow when overtaking.

I've ridden a restricted bike and at urban speeds it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. On the open road you start to feel it, and on motorways it's positively dangerous in my personal opinion as an unrestricted rider.

To put it in perspective, at about 100 kph a restricted Bandit will overtake a car at approximately the same pace as a 1.6 litre focus can.

These days I'm on a Deauville (arguably learner legal, I don't know the specifics) but it requires the same level of forward planning for main road and motorway overtaking as the restricted bike I tried out.

So basically, it's tolerable as long as you accept the limitations and ride accordingly.

Remember - the law does allow you to ride bikes with more than 33bhp provided they are not exceeding the specified power-to-weight ratio. I believe this is the reason Deauville's can be ridden by restricted license holders, but don't quote me on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i had a factory restricted bandit 6 meself. It was grand, still took the restriction out after 3 weeks though. Dont need restriction now but take me mates restricted bikes off for a blast sometimes and they seem alright to me. You would obviously know the difference but they are still quickish with the restriction .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Mines restricted(bandit 600), you will hardly notice the difference unless your really pushing it. only thing I've noticed is that it tops out at around 160km(On a private road of course*Cough*) which isn't a problem unless your trying to keep up with others in a pack ride.It'll keep climbing to 160 though no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

I had a Ninja 250 33bhp and it was plenty fast. I now have a Fazer S2 600 restricted and it's also plenty fast. I go touring on it all the time. Acceleration is also very quick.

thanks for all the replys lads..
    so good info there :cool: esp fellow owners.. :)

im gonna get it restricted, im handy on the tools so after a while i may take them out (while servicing and misplace ;)) . its just washers at the carbs it aint shims as well is it?? i know some bikes have both.. :rolleyes:

overtaking over 100 kph aint really too much of a issue.. mainly using it for goin west tbh (big photography head :cool:) can see what its like all the same.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

your not supposed to admit that your gonna accidentilly misplace the restriction. Omg. Lol

Advertisement