Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ms and medical card?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if having ms means you are entitled to or likely to get the medical card? My husband was diagnosed in feb and we applied for the card in June, but have been told there is a 5 mth waiting list before it will even be looked at! I dont think we would qualify on strictly financial grounds but am hoping he will on medical grounds?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Ausone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I have a long term illness card and got a medical card. I had it about a year but then they told me I shouldn't have got it.

I hope your husband stays well. I have MS 10 years not and am fine, no walking aids etc. When I get tired my speach goes a bit and as for drink that is a no no, and I drank for Ireland! The big thing for me is to mind myself, I don't work, have 3 young (ish) kids so they keep me busy. For me management is a big influence on my symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

Ausone wrote: »
    Yeah I knew about the long term illness book, thats great as it covers all the drugs etc, but its tough paying €60 a visit when he needs to see doc so I was hoping he would be entitled to the card!
    Thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Rosepetal, he could get a doctor only medical card, with a bit of luck (which these decisions seem to be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 inchicoresaint

rosepetal wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if having ms means you are entitled to or likely to get the medical card? My husband was diagnosed in feb and we applied for the card in June, but have been told there is a 5 mth waiting list before it will even be looked at! I dont think we would qualify on strictly financial grounds but am hoping he will on medical grounds?
    Thanks!

Hi Rosepetal. Got diognosed with ms last July. If your hubby work a full week the likely hood is you won't get one.

I think they base it on income.

I personally got one when I left hospital but had no income at the time went back to work part time on a paltry wage and had to re-apply for it as the one I was granted was a temp one. They didn't accept my new application and instead gave me a doctors only card. And keep in mind on the temp wage I earn under €300 per week.

They don't look at things on medical grounds i've found out.

As already pointed again based on income he may be sent a doctor only card. Mines up for review in September as it happens and i'm sweating on whether they will mind as I got a a slight payrise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

Hi, Just wanted to let u know that he got the medical card!! Yayyy:D. We were turned down on financial grounds, which I expected as he works fulltime, but got it on medical grounds. Tbh I pestered them, ringing every couple of days, not sure if that had anything to do with it:rolleyes:. Its a big weight of our shoulders.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

delighted to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 akj77

Hi All,
    Just wanted to follow up on this a bit.
    The HSE are now so understaffed you can't get an annual med card anymore. They are doing 2/3 month cards, but thdese still take a while to process. The quickest way is to make sure you have all of your paperwork and go to the office in person and get it sorted. It'll take a while - in South Dublin there used to be 8 or 9 people processing the cards and now there are only 2. I had to do it for my Mum and there's no way she could do it herself. Anyone else having these issues? It's utterly stupid, expecting people with chronic illnesses to be able to do this every two months and with the waiting list so long (due to utter understaffing) you can't use the postal option. Maybe the HSE boffins and Ms. Harney ciuld do without some extras and give us more frontline staff?
    Grrr, the people who need the help most are treated the worst :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Lord! Only giving out cards for 2/3 months!! I waited 4 months for my last one!! Its up next jan so I better re-apply now!! Like OP I needed the card for MS related problems. I had vision problems earlier in the year and would have been lost without it!! I was seeing the doctor every week!! Im hoping that I would get another one. I have no job but as im a student, im 27 and not living off my parents, i scared i wont get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Thats strange, got our GP visit card on medical grounds in April and it is valid until June 2011.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement