Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netiopia router problem

Options
  • 26-07-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

i have an eircom netopia router in my neighbours attic about 200 yeads away,

i have an edimax repeater in my attic, with a directional antenna, i can ping the router in less then 1sec, 0% loss from anywhere in my house

once every week or two the netiopia router stops working (can't connect even if i am beside it with laptop) and i have to plug it out for 2 seconds and back in again to get it going again

i have changed the router with a few other netopia routers with same problem, zyxel routers don't have as strong a signal, so pings are poor.

i put the router on a time switch to switch it off at night, but it still stops once or twice a fortnight, but now i just have to wait till the next day for net access

going to switch to wireless b for a while to see if it has the same problem

any suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

mukki wrote: »
    i have an eircom netopia router in my neighbours attic about 200 yeads away,

I presume you have permission to use it? Are you connected all the time? It could be a DCHP lease expiring that kicks you off. Or possibly a radio fault. I've never had that problem personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

ironclaw wrote: »
    I presume you have permission to use it? .
    Well unless the OP is breaking into his neighbours house to reset the router.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

ironclaw wrote: »
    I presume you have permission to use it? Are you connected all the time? It could be a DCHP lease expiring that kicks you off. Or possibly a radio fault. I've never had that problem personally.

yes have permission, neighbour is my inlaws, they got the bb for us, they don't use it themselves

supposed to be connected 24x7, but keeps loosing connection, my repeater signal is 20-30, it ranges from 0-50 but anything above 7 is normally fine

good thinking about dhcp ;)

my pc ip is set manually, but worth a try, I changed lease to 99 days

wireless b was no better so back on g

i have also just changed the wifi channel from 1 to 11

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭measurement

Is there any possibility that either the router, or your pc is set to expect fixed IP address? If its possible to connect in those circumstances, it could be that when the address is reset (when the lease expires) it can't cope. 2 weeks seems about right for the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

when i am beside the router with a vista laptop and i try to connect, it reports that the access point is not replying

i replaced the netiopia router with a zyxel modem, and ethernet cable from it too an edimax wireless access point, and it working 3days and 12hrs now non stop

happy days

thanks to everyone who replied

• Advertisement
Advertisement