Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan worth the move from Dublin?..

Options
  • 26-07-2009 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend and I are interested in getting a house in Cavan which is only 7 miles from the City Centre. Do you think it's worth the move?

We'll have to look for new jobs and stuff but the house is a bargain blah blah etc.

So whats it like in Cavan?

Thanks.

Edit: We're thinking Ballinagh, is this a good spot for a young couple?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

My girlfriend and I are interested in getting a house in Cavan which is only 7 miles from the City Centre. Do you think it's worth the move?

We'll have to look for new jobs and stuff but the house is a bargain blah blah etc.

So whats it like in Cavan?

Thanks.

Edit: We're thinking Ballinagh, is this a good spot for a young couple?

I am a born and bred dub and I moved to Cavan town (2 miles out) a year ago with work. I love it. We sold our house and have been renting for the last year. Still waiting to find 'THE' house.

Have a totally relaxed way of life now. Takes me 10 minutes to get to and from work as opposed to the 3 hours it took me when I lived in Dublin 15. Have a load of free time now. . The choice of shops in Cavan it not great imo but Enniskillen is only a 40 minute drive away so food shopping etc is a lot cheaper

5 Euro for a cinema ticket on a Tuesday night in the local multiplex.

The only downside to me is that I dont go out to many pubs/clubs in Cavan. I dont know that many people and so tend to still go out in Dublin with my mates there at weekends. Its partly my fault though as Im sure if I made the effort I would get to know people. Just laziness on my part I suppose.

I go to a great gym in Belturbet (about 10 miles out from Cavan town)

Dont know that much about Ballinagh but I pass through it a lot and it seems nice enough. Is the house you are looking at in Ard Kill by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Sweet man, sounds really cool.

We're just really looking to settle down for a small bit and some time for ourselves.

Yep its in Ard Kill, it's a steal if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Getting a job in Cavan may prove awfully difficult at the moment. Counties like Cavan have suffered a lot in the recession, particularly when it comes to house prices, so if you were thinking of moving, I would definitely rent. Prices are a bargain, but they will be even more so in a year from now, and if you buy now you will be in negative equity then. Obviously you would need a car too as public transport is pretty much non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

....City Centre....
    :D:D:D:D

Things aren't too hot jobswise in Cavan unfortunately, if I were you I'd be trying to secure something before you buy anything. There's any amount of rental property available. Get yoursef a job and get settled before you buy anything.

You will need a car! If you or your girlfriend can't drive I'd advise you learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nia121

Theres not much happenin around ballinagh, I wouldn buy a house in it, say in a couple of years you wanted to sell up, i wouldn have much hope in gettin rid, your best bet if you were to move to cavan would be to buy in the town, there at least you will be closer to all ammenities, be out less on petrol and what not!! And least if you bought in the town and wer to sell up, you would have a better chance of getting the house sold, more chance of people buying houses in the town to let out etc.
    Lived in cavan all my life and def wouldn recommend moving to ballinagh! sorry ballinghers!! nothing wrong with your town if you grew up there, but not a good move for a young couple!

• Advertisement

Ah I see well we're not looking to sell for a while yet.
    Planning to get my Degree and setting up a business within the next 5 years or so and see what happens after that.

We're a mature couple that would just love a house together and being 7 miles or so from the Town isn't a problem for us.

So after that you still won't recommend it? :D

i tink you'd be mad to start off in ballinagh, very small rural farming place, its basically a street with plenty of pubs!(might not be a downside!!) if ur movin to cavan, i would recommend moving closer to the town, swellan is a lovely place and a lot of new houses have went up there over the last few years, places like station lane, Cluain Aoibhean, have a look there!:)

nia121 wrote: »
    i tink you'd be mad to start off in ballinagh, very small rural farming place, its basically a street with plenty of pubs!(might not be a downside!!) if ur movin to cavan, i would recommend moving closer to the town, swellan is a lovely place and a lot of new houses have went up there over the last few years, places like station lane, Cluain Aoibhean, have a look there!:)

Ah ok cool. Well we're hoping to move into Ardkill which I think is in Ballinagh. I like pubs :D, but I get what ya mean ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

nia121 wrote: »

Swellan is a lovely place!! Hardly now. Acres of cheap land with as many houses as possible squeased in. Nothing in the way of park land, amenities for kids etc. Hardly idilic.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I really would not recommend it. I don't live in Cavan any more but even with the cheap houses I would not but a house in Ballinagh, very very quiet... And Cavan is quite a difficult place to get to know people in if you aren't from there I have heard.. Cavan is afloat with cheap property... But best of luck with it if you do decide to move there, those houses are a steal.

• Advertisement

well best of luck anyways, make sure to drop into barney mac's or cronins for a few when ya get set up, always gauranteed a bit of banther!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

http://tinyurl.com/lgcnvg have you seen these prices?

Advertisement