Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Powered External Harddrice 200-320GB

• 26-07-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen any good prices around. Need a USB powered harddrive for use wih laptop and PS3. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

cronos wrote: »

Be careful when buying usb external hdd.

I have an xbox 360 and use it for watching media.

I have a 250 gig vers of this one and it doesnt work with my xbox.My friends tell me its because my xbox cant give it enough power to run.Im just letting you know because this could happen to you as well.I know its only a xbox 360 but id say a ps3 runs in much the same manner.

I have a 16 gig usb pen drive and a 1tb plug powered hd that works perfectly with my xbox but my usb hdd doesnt work with it.

Id get clarification if a usb hard drive will work with your ps3 before you go out and get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Anyone seen any good prices around. Need a USB powered harddrive for use wih laptop and PS3. Any help appreciated

I picked up a mobile external Toshiba 250Gb in PC World (Liffey Valley) for around €70 a few weeks ago. Completely usb powered, no power adapter required.
    Fol20 wrote: »
    Be careful when buying usb external hdd.
    I have an xbox 360 and use it for watching media.
    I have a 250 gig vers of this one and it doesnt work with my xbox.My friends tell me its because my xbox cant give it enough power to run

Most of the external hard disks I've seen have a double USB adapter which I think is to overcome this problem.
    So you might need 2 usb sockets for the 1 drive... but I ran mine happily on a PC and laptop with 1 usb port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I picked up a mobile external Toshiba 250Gb in PC World (Liffey Valley) for around €70 a few weeks ago. Completely usb powered, no power adapter required.

Most of the external hard disks I've seen have a double USB adapter which I think is to overcome this problem.
    So you might need 2 usb sockets for the 1 drive... but I ran mine happily on a PC and laptop with 1 usb port.

you might be right about the double usb adapter thing.iv had ones in the past with that,just the wd passport only has a single usb.Btw,they work perfectly with the pc,just when trying to use it with my 360 it doesnt work.

Advertisement