Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Law LLB Course

Options
  • 27-07-2009 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey!
    Im just wondering if the 'Irish Law' course in Griffith Dublin is any good?
    Im seriously considering doin law but I have no idea which college/university to do it in!

I was just wondering if yous could shed some light on the situation.I really just wanna know is it any good?Are the lecturers good?Progression after course etc...

If you have a negative view could you suggest other colleges/universities?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

hi Doodle53,

I am a graudte of the LLB (Hons) in Irish Law course in GCD and I've just finished the Barrister's course in the King's Inns.

From my point of view, GCD is probably one of the best institutions you could learn in.

From the outset, the college is very focused at getting you ready for the exams. There is not alot of focus on partying or such like. It's very focused. The LLB (as i'm sure you are aware) is a 3 yr degree as opposed to the 4yr BCL. You cover the exact same topics and material in the same manner only instead of doing 2 or 3 hrs lectures a day, you for 4 to 6 hours a day-which for me was a much better use of my day and you save a full year (and the associated costs with it).

One of the huge benefits I found with the fees issues is that you get your core course text books included in the price. I did a B.Sc prior to doing the LLB and there's no comparison. GCD was a world apart from it all. The lecturers are great- friendly, informal, you get excellent typed notes as well as full lecture notes. No bull that you can get in other areas - all depends on how much work you are prepared to put into the course. If you focus on it from day 1, there's no reason why you wont come out with a 65% or higher.

All of the lecturers have at least masters degrees, the majority of the lecturers are barristers (or barristers in training), its library is very well stocked for all the courses, the canteen is well stocked, reasonably priced, ample car parking if you need it, at no extra cost.

compared to my old college, GCD was a whole different system- focused, clear, well structured and to the point-no waffle along the way. I got the impression from my 3 yrs there that you go in and you get out in 3 yrs. No caps on pass rates, or number of 1st's like some colleges. The course will cover absolutely all the topics you will need for either the Solicitors FE1 and/or the Barristers Kings Inns exams. It is typical to take a prep course to update the law you know but thats a different issue.

Having finished the Inns, I still (a year on) look very favourably on my time in GCD. There's very little I would fault it on. I had a run in with 1 lecturer in final yr but he wasn't too bad. The rest ( I found) were very very helpful and obliging.

If you have any direct questions you'd like to ask, please put up on the forum and I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Oh god thank you SO much!
    That was extremely helpful!
    I was really unaware of anything associated with the course and all the information about it but thanks to your reply it has really opened my eyes.
    From this I get the idea ill be going to Griffith!
    Thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

No problem at all.

If you come up with any other questions, no matter how trivial they are, please don't hesitate to throw them my way on the forum and I'll respond.

I loved my time there. I think very fondly of it (which is unusual considering its a college and you're paying for it... but I do).

The very very best of luck with the course. Give it the time it requires and you'll do absolutely fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

I'm a legal graduate from Griffith back in days when Val Corbet was the undergrad head. It's an excellent college for learning the law and it's certainly one of the more established private/independent institutions.

A word from the wise though, I'd seriously think hard about committing to a legal degree if your sole intents is to go down the professional route after.

Have a look at the threads in legal discussion forum. It's very very difficult lately to get in and even if youre in making a living.

All I say is do your research and talk to practising lawyers to get a full appreciation of the profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stoblerone

Hi there,

I did a Dip in Legal Studies in GCD and then went on to the LL.B (Hons). Was there when Val and Philip thaught there.

My experience there was very good and I went onto the KI's.

Like the previous poster said, be sure about why u want to do the LL.B, where ever you do it.

Even if you don't want to go on from the LL.B, it is a great course

good luck:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Anyone else heading into this this year?

Advertisement