Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debian partition problem ppc

• 27-07-2009 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a newbie running Debian Linux on a Mac Powerbook G4.

When I set up the partition initially, I created a Fat32 partition so that I could share files between Linux and Mac OS 10.3.

Unfortunately, although it showed up in Linux, it did not in Mac OS.

I used parted in Linux to delete the partition, but now when I create a partition of any kind, it will not mount.

How do I mount it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Open a terminal, this command will show you the info you need:
    $ blkid -L
    Look for the entry saying (not mounted) and matching the fs_type, ie:
    /dev/sda? fat32 (not mounted) 9f6c787a-d05d-4e8c-8410-fb239f2fbb8f

To mount example (as root):
    # mount -t fat32 /dev/sda? /mnt/media
    Just make sure dir /mnt/media exists.

To do this automatically at boot add a this line to your /etc/fstab:
    /dev/sda? /mnt/media fat32 defaults 0 0

How are you creating partitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Tillotson wrote: »
    Open a terminal, this command will show you the info you need:
    $ blkid -L
    Look for the entry saying (not mounted) and matching the fs_type, ie:
    /dev/sda? fat32 (not mounted) 9f6c787a-d05d-4e8c-8410-fb239f2fbb8f

To mount example (as root):
    # mount -t fat32 /dev/sda? /mnt/media
    Just make sure dir /mnt/media exists.

To do this automatically at boot add a this line to your /etc/fstab:
    /dev/sda? /mnt/media fat32 defaults 0 0

How are you creating partitions?

Thanks very much for your reply.

I have managed to mount it (and the "Macintosh HD" volume which is hfs+)

Now my partition looks like this:

linux:/mnt/machd# blkid -L
    device fs_type label mount point UUID
    /dev/hda9 hfs bootstrap (not mounted)
    /dev/hda10 swap <swap>
    /dev/hda11 reiserfs / a0ce3d8e-903e-4639-8bbe-6f9a93915831
    /dev/hda12 vfat /mnt/shared 1203-1C43
    /dev/hda13 hfsplus /mnt/machd

Now /mnt/shared does not show up in "Computer" in the Debian GUI.
    As a normal use I can navigate to it but not create a file. As root, I can.

I can also navigate to /mnt/machd, but I cannot create a file, even as root. Maybe hfs+ is read-only under Debian. "Macintosh HD" does, however, appear in the "Computer" window.
    p
    How can I get shared to appear in the GUI, and how can I get rw access for a normal user? I've tried chmod 777 but nothing happens. Is it different for directories?

Also, (and I should maybe ask in the Mac forum for this), is it possible to get hda12 to mount in Mac OS X 10.3 using similar unix commands? For some reason, when I set up my partitions initially, Disk Utility wouldn't create Fat32 partitions, though it would create "Unix File System" partitions. I created my partitions this way, then changed them during the Debian installation. More recently, I have been messing around with parted.

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

That isn't your main mac partition by any chance? If it is it's probably safer to use a tool like gparted to create an additional partition and format it as Fat32.

Gparted can be be got by:
    # apt-get install gparted

Stop here if that's what you decide to do.

I have no idea how well hfs+ works in linux. I presume it takes the same options in /etc/fstab and permissions are set at boot.

$ id <your-username>
    will give you your uid and gid.

/dev/hda13 /mnt/media hfsplus auto,user,uid=????,gid=???,utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137 0 0

fmask sets file permissions, 137 lets the owner read and write and group members read. It's the opposite to chmod where 777 is restrictive a 777 fmask is premissive.

Have a look at this tread:
    http://forum.soft32.com/linux/Sharing-hfsplus-partition-Linux-MacOSX-ftopict309309.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Thanks for the replies.

It seems that a Mac Powerbook running Mac OS X 10.3 can't create Fat32 partitions on a disk which contains HFS or HFS+ partitions. Any Fat32 partitions created in Linux don't show up under Mac OS (even though other Fat32 and NTFS disks do show up). This behaviour is different on my Intel Mac Mini running 10.5, where I can view and write to my Windows XP partition which is Fat32.

In the end, I decided to create a partition as HFS+ which I could then use in Mac OS X. But I couldn't find a partitioner for Linux which could create HFS+ partitions. Mac OS X's Disk Utility could not create a partition, nor could it reformat a non Mac OS partition. So I created several HFS partitions in Linux (HFS has a max size of 2GB) and then reformatted them as HFS+ in Mac OS X. It's not perfect as I now have several partitions but it will do! I don't really want to have to wipe the disk and start from scratch.

Thanks again for the help.

Advertisement