Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How different is your current man/ex to your "ideal man"?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

I never really took time to visualise my "ideal man", as I was never really on the look-out for him. But I think he was probably an accountant or solicitor or banker ... someone who wore a suit to work anyways! He was well-read, artistic, sensitive, educated but not overly-opinionated - someone willing to take a back-seat and succumb to my every whim. Good-looking and clean-cut. The father of my children, easy to live with, and not a whole lot more. I never really imagined him, but if I had, that would have been him. Most importantly, I would have met him at 27, married at 29, and kids at ages 32 and 36. :rolleyes:

Real life is so much better. I'm engaged at 23 to a gorgeous sexy, macho, stubbly carpenter. He doesn't own a suit, he hasn't read a book since secondary school, he didn't go to college but is very intelligent and opinionated and fecking stubborn.

However, unlike my "dream man":
    - He is incredibly loyal. If he considers you a friend or family member, there is nothing and I mean nothing he won't do for you.
    - He has the best sense of humour in the world.
    - He is such an honest, hard worker. It sounds silly, but it's really very admirable.
    - He has massive irresistable chocolately brown eyes.
    - We are able to sit together for hours and talk ... or equally, we are able to sit together for hours and say nothing.
    - He likes animals. I don't like animals, but through him I can see how someday I could.
    - We have completely different interests. I like music and poetry - he likes cars and tractors and rallying. It's much more fun learning about each others interests than finding out what I already know.
    - He is always on my side and always will be.
    - He comes across as a big tough muscly macho "man". But I know that, really, deep down, he's a complete sweetie :D (Don't tell anybody though!)

I'm a bit different because, since I met my man quite young, I never really had much time to form an opinion of my "ideal" guy. But what's your picture of your ideal man, and how much does it differ from the real thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jaaavaaa

Awwwww :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I don't have an 'ideal' so to speak although looking back I most certainly have a 'type'.

I find that if I put limits on things then I won't go out of the box. This is in all areas of my life though. I tend not to limit myself as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I first met my husband at 21 (and first dated at 23) but I do still remember my very long and strange shopping list of what I wanted in a man - am listing some of the ways he differs and some that he is the same. It is strange how your perfect man turns out but I would not change him for anything. He can always make me giggle and we have never run out of things to say (he never bores me) and he has picked me up during life's bad times - he is my hero. He brings attributes to the table that I never imagined were important (but are).
    • someone over 6ft - he is only 5ft 9in
    • someone who studied IT/Engineering - his first undergrad was forestry (though he did a subsequent IT degree)
    • born in September (he was born in May) - my family has a few March/September weddings thus the strange requirement
    • older than me (he is 7 weeks younger)
    • hyper intelligent and funny - yes, he has both of those qualities
    • kind - he is that
    • a certain type looks wise - yes, he could not be more my type physically if he tried
    • workaholic - he works hard but we have a life together outside work

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Don't and never had an "Ideal Man". I think the concept just sets you up for disappointment.

The only thing my exes/current man have in common is that they:

1. Were all involved competitively in some sport
    2. They have no brothers :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My boyfriend pretty much fits my ideal exactly, physically and mentally tbh. He's really tall, lean, a few years older than me, a musician, intelligent, I can have debates with him, he's got a great sense of humour, he's playful, he's got dark hair... I didn't pick him on purpose because he fit the bill though, that was just good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

i thought my ideal man was the suited and booted type and i met him and went out with him, established barrister and all that but there was something missing until i met my current oh, i met him in the gym and i never knew i could feel so good about myself until i was with him, and thats all seven years ago, just goes to show you never know whats behind that corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I found a picture I drew of my "Dream Man" from when I was 8 and aside from having a pony farm he's pretty close :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

After re-reading and remembering some criteria I used to have for the "ideal partner", he is my ideal, and much more besides. Everything I could ever ask for and more! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

my only criteria used to be that they were older,a lot taller and that they lived relatively close to me,id done the long distance thing for years with my ex and didnt want to do it again, my current bf of a year and a half is actually a bit over 2 years younger,and a while after we started going out he moved to the other side of the country,he is tall though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

My ideal man would always have been a Southern rocker type/long haired Jesus lookalike!

Got him! Giggidy! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement