Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High End Of Low - Marilyn Mansons Latest Offering

Options
  • 27-07-2009 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody else had a chance to listen to this?

The band and their activities have fallen dramatically below the radar in the last few years so this one kinda came out of nowhere.

I have only had a chance to listen to snipets and what I've heard thus far hasn't been impressive.
    The first single, 'Arma-godamn-motherucking-geddon' didn't sound too good either.
    Though that said, I wasn't huge on 'Eat me, Drink Me' either, though it did grow on me over time.

Anybody else make anything of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Jesus, you dont hear much about the god of fukk anymore do ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Ive not heard the full album but that armageddon song is just useless :pac: Saw it on scuzz a while back and I like a lot of his songs but after seeing terrible reviews for it and after that song, Il be passing on the album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

It has failed to grow on me. I would say half of the album is ok the rest forgettable. I think he was trying to go for a Nine Inch Nailsy type sound. Doesn’t work. Then again I am not a NIN fan

Arma-godamn-motherucking-geddon is ok, his obligatory fists in the air anthem sounding track but I ‘m sure it would get boring after many listens.

I loved Eat Me Drink Me, I found it quite dark and liked the synths ;but I’m afraid this new offering didn’t set the world alight which is disappointing with the fact Twiggy is back in the fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think Manson's output has been on a downward slope for a few years now. I loved Holy Wood but The Golden Age of Grotesque, Eat Me Drink Me and this latest album are patchy at best. They aren't that bad but it's a bit sad when you know they could probably be so much better.

If you're a die-hard Manson fan you'll probably like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He has been embarrassing to watch on his current tour. Slurry on words, stumbling around the stage and very pudgy.

High End Of Low is an improvement on his last few albums, but seeing as they were awful it was not much of a stretch to improve.

Trent came out and commented on how addicted Manson has become in the last year to booze and drugs, and said that Manson was a sad parody of what Manson used to be. I had taken that with a pinch of salt until I saw Manson live this year and if anything he looked and sounded worse than Reznor had said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nea wrote: »
    but I’m afraid this new offering didn’t set the world alight which is disappointing with the fact Twiggy is back in the fold.
    Yes, but he has completely alienated himself from everyone else that made he band great. This open door policy he has to band members can be a good thing but you're never going to win every gamble.
    Kess73 wrote:
    He has been embarrassing to watch on his current tour. Slurry on words, stumbling around the stage and very pudgy.
    Yeah, I heard about that. A friend of mine saw them at Download and said he was off his face and basically and embarrassment to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Armaggedon just sounds annoying. Spent force imo. All that intensity, drug taking and excess has made the music sound exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Kess73 wrote: »
    and very pudgy.

I saw photos of him wearing a veil over his face to hide his double chin.
    Sorry for no reference links, they were in a magazine, can't find them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I think Devour is a very good song, but the rest of it?

I liked it at first, but it's just so lacking in comparison to his earlier stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Not a fan of this album at all, in fact i'd go as far as saying it's rather shoddy, thus continuing the downward spiral of his material. The last good album he did (imo) was Holywood. Eat me, drink me had it's moments though (about 3 of them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's been a while but I've been listening to this album a fair bit lately and have to admit that it has grown on me, much the same way their previous album did.
    Though I can't say that this is a credit to the band as it completely failed to grab me the way their bigger better albums have.

It has alot of good songs that are well written but I have to say, the album fits much more into the mould of a generic hard rock album. I also think it's too long.
    As I said, it is good but it's not in the least bit provocative, and I don't just mean that in a controversial way but the songs don't leave much of a lasting impact or leave you thinking in any way.

With that said though, the band themselves have just as much become average and the man himself is probably fallen victim to age.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gith75

It's not bad, it's better than Eat Me, Drink Me but not as good as previous albums

Advertisement