Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA, Im so shocked

Options
  • 27-07-2009 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Im new to these forums but I feel I should say something here.
    I was watching MMA on setanta last week and I have to say I was alarmed by the amount of pure violence, that these poor guys were subjected to for a blood thirsty audience.
    I mean, it has similarities to the Coleseum days.
    I am all on for contact sports, rugger, wrestling etc even wwf, but for the love of God, does it have to go to these extremes? These poor young boys dont deserve to be victimised in such a way.
    The main event, Brock Lesnar(a disgrace) of a man showed pure contempt for his (battered)opponent, even in victory, what is the world coming to??

Mod edit - This thread is closed due to suspected trolling. OP feel free to contact me on this, otherwise, you will be facing a two week ban

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Im new to these forums but I feel I should say something here.
    I was watching MMA on setanta last week and I have to say I was alarmed by the amount of pure violence, that these poor guys were subjected to for a blood thirsty audience.
    I mean, it has similarities to the Coleseum days.
    I am all on for contact sports, rugger, wrestling etc even wwf, but for the love of God, does it have to go to these extremes? These poor young boys dont deserve to be victimised in such a way.
    The main event, Brock Lesnar(a disgrace) of a man showed pure contempt for his (battered)opponent, even in victory, what is the world coming to??

Read up on the sport before running your mouth. You are talking nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BrotherBoniface

Read up on the sport before running your mouth. You are talking nonsense.

What amount of study/reading of the (non-sport) would justify young men/boys being beaten to a pulp to a cheering audience. Im sorry if I offend people here but I feel I have to express my honest feelings on this spectacle of needless violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

What amount of study/reading of the (non-sport) would justify young men/boys being beaten to a pulp to a cheering audience. Im sorry if I offend people here but I feel I have to express my honest feelings on this spectacle of needless violence

Do you know what your right, i agree youve converted me, i wish someone could have shown me the light before now, thank you my saviour down with that sort of thing

Ok calm down, and yes you are right, I know little about the sport, but may I ask you the question, what do i need to know about the sport to accept that the level of violence is justified?
    I will be open to your opinion and views, but if I bring anger to this forum, I apologise in advance.
    I mentioned wwf because these men can stage violence and get the same crowd reaction but at the same time they are not really injured, everyone is a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

You are trying to talk about a sport you know nothing about, you admitted that your self.
    What exactly is your question?

• Advertisement

i dont even think its a real thread it has to be someone takin the piss no one is that niave.

Ok calm down, and yes you are right, I know little about the sport, but may I ask you the question, what do i need to know about the sport to accept that the level of violence is justified?
    I will be open to your opinion and views, but if I bring anger to this forum, I apologise in advance.
    I mentioned wwf because these men can stage violence and get the same crowd reaction but at the same time they are not really injured, everyone is a winner.

If you want to actually learn about the sport instead of spouting nonsense read this basic article on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts

In MMA there have been zero deaths in properly sanctioned events, 3 in unsanctioned events. In boxing there are 5 deaths a year. MMA is safer in terms of fatalities than rugby, soccer, gaelic games, even golf (people die by being struck by lightening).

If violence is not your cup of tea, thats cool. But MMA is a competition between 2 people. It is a bit like tennis, different styles (serve and volley, baseliners etc) in MMA there is grapplers, strikers, wrestlers, karate people, all sorts.

MMA is a great sport, beautiful to watch to athletes with different skills trying to impose themselves on each other. As a sport it is perfectly safe. Of course it can be violent, how else can they win, they are not playing tiddlywinks.

and these poor defenceless young "boys" are well aware of what there stepping into, they train there whole lives for it!

i dont even think its a real thread it has to be someone takin the piss no one is that niave. :rolleyes: down with that sort of thing

I know but I thought it could be fun.

If you want to actually learn about the sport instead of spouting nonsense read this basic article on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts

In MMA there have been zero deaths in properly sanctioned events, 3 in unsanctioned events. In boxing there are 5 deaths a year. MMA is safer in terms of fatalities than rugby, soccer, gaelic games, even golf (people die by being struck by lightening).

If violence is not your cup of tea, thats cool. But MMA is a competition between 2 people. It is a bit like tennis, different styles (serve and volley, baseliners etc) in MMA there is grapplers, strikers, wrestlers, karate people, all sorts.

MMA is a great sport, beautiful to watch to athletes with different skills trying to impose themselves on each other. As a sport it is perfectly safe. Of course it can be violent, how else can they win, they are not playing tiddlywinks.

I accept your points and take some on board. I may question the statistic on deaths per year and I wonder will the death/serious injury tally rise when more and more people take up the sport as compared to the current number of people actively involved in rugby/soccer/boxing etc.
    To be clear, I was not questioning those statistics in my opening thread but I was stating how alarming it was to see the level of graphic violence I witnessed for the first time on tv and especially how Brock Lesnar behaved in such a horrible manner after his win. Would you call that a good sporting behaviour? I do not.

• Advertisement

I accept your points and take some on board. I may question the statistic on deaths per year and I wonder will the death/serious injury tally rise when more and more people take up the sport as compared to the current number of people actively involved in rugby/soccer/boxing etc.
    To be clear, I was not questioning those statistics in my opening thread but I was stating how alarming it was to see the level of graphic violence I witnessed for the first time on tv and especially how Brock Lesnar behaved in such a horrible manner after his win. Would you call that a good sporting behaviour? I do not.

Brock Lesnar is an asshole and is not representative of the millions of MMA fighters around the globe. The sport is the fastest growing sport on earth. The numbers participating has exploded. Participation around the planet would be getting close to many mainstream sports, yet there have been zero fatalities in it and only 3 in unsanctioned events.

Educate yourself. Read up on it. Then watch some fights, particularly early Kazushi Sakuraba fights (particularly Sakuraba vs Newton). Become aware of the sports history and different styles of fighter. If you do this properly you will realise how silly you are being at the moment. If you dont educate yourself, ignorance is bliss as they say. You will continue to lead an unenlightened life. Sticking to rigid philosophies is easy, admitting you are wrong is hard and the path to enlightenment.

What is your definition of graphic?

You talk about Brock Lesnar's behaviour? I'm not a fan of him but you then are in support of WWE which if I can remember correctly from my early childhood they would say and do a lot worse then what Lesnar did. I know it is not real but a lot of children see these wrestlers as idiols and will do as they see.

Its not good sporting behaviour but you use soccer, rugby and boxing as examples. Do you need examples of people from these sports acting inappropriately?

Brock Lesnar is an asshole and is not representative of the millions of MMA fighters around the globe. The sport is the fastest growing sport on earth. The numbers participating has exploded. Participation around the planet would be getting close to many mainstream sports, yet there have been zero fatalities in it and only 3 in unsanctioned events.

Educate yourself. Read up on it. Then watch some fights, particularly early Kazushi Sakuraba fights (particularly Sakuraba vs Newton). Become aware of the sports history and different styles of fighter. If you do this properly you will realise how silly you are being at the moment. If you dont educate yourself, ignorance is bliss as they say. You will continue to lead an unenlightened life. Sticking to rigid philosophies is easy, admitting you are wrong is hard and the path to enlightenment.

Sam Vasquez died on November 30, 2007.[28] Vasquez collapsed shortly after being knocked out by Vince Libardi in the third round of an October 20, 2007 fight at the Toyota Center in Houston(Sanctioned fight)

Sam Vasquez died on November 30, 2007.[28] Vasquez collapsed shortly after being knocked out by Vince Libardi in the third round of an October 20, 2007 fight at the Toyota Center in Houston(Sanctioned fight)

Not properly sanctioned, he was not given a brain scan before the fight. If it was, he would have been barred from fighting and still alive.

Also in MMA there are no Mohammed Ali like vegetables. Dan Severn, who is in his mid 50's has fought over 100 fights in MMA. He is as lucid as day.

As I said, ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Dude less of the Ali - Vegetable craic. The guy's a hero to a lot of people. This is your typical first time exposure to MMA reaction. When I first saw it I was a little shocked by the violence. Then I watched a little more, read about it on the internet. Now I can say it is my favourite sport in the whole world. And it's a lot safer than it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I wonder what Don Frye would say to you. :pac:

There is one thing that i do need to point out with regards to the injury/death statistics, there havent been 1% as many MMA matches as there has Boxing bouts and i am sure that when MMA has reached the same number of fights there will have been some serious injuries and maybe even some MMA related deaths.

MMA is still in its infancy and is growing all the time, lets hope the regulation and safety requirements continue at the high level which are being used now.

Also, if you dont like it dont watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

that these poor guys were subjected to for a blood thirsty audience.
    You make it sound like they were thrown in the cage and made fight against their will. The reality is that, like other sports, people do it because they enjoy it. There may be a small percentage of people in it just for the money, but on the other hand there are a lot of people that do it purely for the enjoyment and the challenge it presents and don't get paid at all.

Oh ya. And a lot of them are really well educated too so it's not like they didn't have any other choice of career. Rich Franklin (fromer ufc champion) has a masters in education and degree in maths as well.

Your tellin me he's been forced to suffer 'graphic violence' as you put it to get by in the world? I have a feeling partakes in this sport because it is very fulfilling and enjoyable. I could be wrong.

Not properly sanctioned, he was not given a brain scan before the fight. If it was, he would have been barred from fighting and still alive.

Also in MMA there are no Mohammed Ali like vegetables. Dan Severn, who is in his mid 50's has fought over 100 fights in MMA. He is as lucid as day.

As I said, ignorance is bliss.

Ignorance is bliss? Well on your part, I would beg to differ. If only a brain scan could determine the level of I.Q of these fighters before the fight, it would not allow them to compete. I mean some of these guys' i.q's would compare with that of a vegetable irrespective of any brain damage due to MMA competition. This is part of my argument, young, disadvantaged, naive, even mentally challenged men/boys are being abused in cage for an audience who only want to see blood and physical abuse.
    I mean they have outlawed dogs, bear baiting etc.? Humans now don't fall into this law of protection in a world gone mad.
    Nothing can justify this grotesque spectacle of human abuse

Poor trolling 3/10

• Advertisement

I'll give him a little credit it did take me two pages to realise it was a troll job. 3.5/10.

Sorry guys, I needed to say my piece. I wont post anymore about this here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Sorry guys, I needed to say my piece. I wont post anymore about this here

You didnt need to say anything, your clearly just a WUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

LOL at how mma folk getting offended when people call somebody getting battered violent. :rolleyes: Somebody having this opinion does not automatically make them 'uneducated'. (I'm not talking about this particular poster, just in general) No matter how organised or how much sportmanship there is, it is still a sport where people can kick, punch knee and elbow each other in the head into one of them is unconscous. Strangely enough in civilised society not everybody is going to find this agreeable. I personally have no issue with the sport (I compete in it!) but I’m not offend that some (many) people don’t like the idea of it.

Also, people have died in MMA. Not many, but they have. Fans will harp on about how they were 'unsanctioned' events, which nearly suggests that they were underground, illegal events. That is not the case at all. All the events in Ireland are unsanctioned, same with the UK and in fact most countries. Are the mega-cards in Japan 'sanctioned'? I doubt it. People only pull out the sanctioning card when it suits. I mean if fans are so bothered about brain scans, should all the unsanctioned events in Ireland be banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ignorance is bliss? Well on your part, I would beg to differ. If only a brain scan could determine the level of I.Q of these fighters before the fight, it would not allow them to compete. I mean some of these guys' i.q's would compare with that of a vegetable irrespective of any brain damage due to MMA competition. This is part of my argument, young, disadvantaged, naive, even mentally challenged men/boys are being abused in cage for an audience who only want to see blood and physical abuse.
    I mean they have outlawed dogs, bear baiting etc.? Humans now don't fall into this law of protection in a world gone mad.
    Jesus lads.
    Whos been shining the light under the bridge again???
    You know what it attracts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Not too experienced with any internet forums. Just one question. What exactly is trolling?

You know the 1st post was well disguised enough that although I strongly disagree with what you were saying, I would have to leave it open in the interest of having a fair and balanced forum. This post, on the other hand, is just so full of absolute gibberish and nonsensical garbage that I'm glad you posted it as I now have an excuse to close the thread.

But just to finish, I think if you had done any research, which you likely haven't, you would know that a lot of MMA fighters are college graduates and anything but mentally challenged.

EDIT: And with that I'm beaten to it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement