Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd year Psychology at NUIM....maybe??

• 27-07-2009 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey everyone :)! I'm an MH101 (1st yr Arts) student who is competing for a place in 2nd year Psych. I got a 2.1 overall in Psychology this year, but I won't know if I have a place till nearly September, I think??:(
    I was wondering, if anyone has received a place in Psychology through this route, could you please tell me roughly when or how the department contacted you? Basically any information on the whole process and what maybe to expect would be a fantastic help!

Apologises if this comes across as very nosy or impatient, it's just the info in the department handbook is especially vague on this matter and I'm at my wit's end waiting and worrying..........!!!
    Thanks in advance for reading this comment!! :D
    Any info/advice/etc is greatly appreciated and would be a great help. :)

Thanks again folks. Toodles. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Contact the department yourself, they'll give better info than you'll get on here.

01 708 4767.
    Psychology.dept@nuim.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I've a friend who did it this way last year. We were on holiday on August 15th and he knew by then for definite. The dept contacted him through email so keep and eye on your NUIM webmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Hello friend.
    I think you're in with a good chance because a 2:1 is pretty good. People from MH206(Is that the science one?) and the direct route have already got their places so that's about forty gone. Another chunk won't have made the grade or would have failed a module so they're gone. Another chunk won't want to continue with it, so your chances for getting in are good my friend! I dropped out of Psychology (Science) to continue with science and I'm pretty sure I heard it been said that people that got a 2:2 were offered places.
    Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TinTin_1760

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful, loving all the anecdotal stories and advice. Keep Posting!!! :D

Holsten, Sound advice, thanks! :D Though I rang the department almost minutes after I found out my grades. I was only told that nobody would know till after the repeat exams!:( You're right though, the dept. should be my only port of call of this kind of info. Thanks anyway! ;)

Michellenman: Cool, I didn't think I hear anything that soon! That's brilliant. :D I'll keep on checking my inbox so! Thanks a bunch!!

barleybooley: Thanks :D! That's great! I know nothing's certain as the demand and grades needed change every year, but you're advice really helps to keep the spirits up!!! Thank you ;)!

(P.S to all readers: This thread is not an attack on how the Psychology Department contucts itself. I've nothing but the highest regard for the Psych dept. at NUIM and all interactions with staff and experiences while studying psychology here have been exceptionally positive. I'm just a nerdy little person, anxiously awaiting to hear if she got a place. :))

^^^^ F.Y.I. - Just to prevent anyone misinterpreting the intention of this thread. Thanks folks :)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Shouldn't have much of a problem with a 2.1 at all. I know someone with a 2.2 who didn't get in initially and even started 2nd Arts, 2 weeks later she got a second round offer for Psychology. You'll know when the repeat results are out which I believe is the first or second week in September and (providing they haven't changed procedures in the last year or two) they should send you a letter about it along with the registration letters that go out around then. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Devia wrote: »
    Shouldn't have much of a problem with a 2.1 at all. I know someone with a 2.2 who didn't get in initially and even started 2nd Arts, 2 weeks later she got a second round offer for Psychology. You'll know when the repeat results are out which I believe is the first or second week in September and (providing they haven't changed procedures in the last year or two) they should send you a letter about it along with the registration letters that go out around then. Best of luck.

Thanks Devia!!! That's great!!:D I'd no idea there was a second round offer :eek:! Well anyways, fingers crossed that I get a letter in the post!!;) Thanks again Devia, you've been a great help!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Spoke to the secretary of the Psychology Department earlier today; apparently there’s no definite date for when the offers for second year places will be issued, but it’ll be somewhere roughly around the beginning of September.

Hey everyone,
    I got my letter and I didn't get in. *grumbles* Well such is life!:rolleyes:
    I'm not too worried, there's loads of other ways into Psych!;)
    Thanks again for posting! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Aw I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck with the rest of your studies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Hey everyone,
    I got my letter and I didn't get in. *grumbles* Well such is life!:rolleyes:
    I'm not too worried, there's loads of other ways into Psych!;)
    Thanks again for posting! :D

Very unfortunate, obviously it was a very competitive year. Don't lose hope yet though there are second round offers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement