Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering to masters degree early

Options
  • 27-07-2009 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi

I recently discovered that some universities (possibly all, I didn't check) have postgraduate programs which you can transfer to if you are one year away from graduating with a Bachelor's degree, supposing your grades are high enough (that's how I got it, correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, the question is: Should one try to do this? And; how high grades would you need? What are the advantages?

Of course, this is quite far away for me, I'm just curious (I'll begin studying this fall). So, if anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    /John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

Wendero wrote: »
    Hi

I recently discovered that some universities (possibly all, I didn't check) have postgraduate programs which you can transfer to if you are one year away from graduating with a Bachelor's degree, supposing your grades are high enough (that's how I got it, correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, the question is: Should one try to do this? And; how high grades would you need? What are the advantages?

Of course, this is quite far away for me, I'm just curious (I'll begin studying this fall). So, if anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    /John

I have never heard of such a program. Have you got a link to the masters programme? I think this is very strange that they would allow you get a postgrad qualification before you have a graduate qualification. What subject are you studying? I'm not sure having a masters in a subject with out a primary degree is a great idea considering a degree is normally 3 to 4 years study while a masters are 1 to 2 years? Do they award you a degree early to allow you join the masters programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Any chance you are mixing up this scenario with a Masters degree? It is not unheard of to transfer from a Masters onto a PhD program, but I would say it is very unlikely to transfer from a Bachelors degree to a Masters without having completed the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

from your comment about studying "in the fall" I am guessing you may not be Irish or you may not be referring to studying in Ireland.

It may be possible to do this in other countries but I don't think this is how it works in any of Irelands main universities.

however there are now many other colleges offerring degrees outside of the main universities so this could be possible to do in some of these colleges.

I suppose your best bet is to ask the person who told you it was possible and find out where he or she heard it from.

Let us know what you find out.

thanks and regards,

Gollem

Advertisement