Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too early still to start looking for an apartment

Options
  • 27-07-2009 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

When is the best time to be hunting when there is the most choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd definitely start as soon as possible. If you use DAFT, you may be able to find somewhere that opens up at the end of August, but put down a deposit much earlier than that. Their "College Search" is very useful, and I've also found that you can find properties on their Maps that you can't find by searching. (Select something in the area you want then hit Map, and see what else appears.)

One other thing: if you're going to be studying Civil Engineering, Architecture or Landscape Arch., you'll be spending a lot of time in Richview or Newstead, so you'll be happier with something on the north-west / Clonskeagh Rd. / Milltown side of UCD. It's a big campus, it can take 15+ minutes to walk from end to end.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I'm gonna be a first year in September (hopefully) and I'm looking...anyone interested in sharing? Bit random but hey the more the merrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭KieranKennedy

Oh yes, far too early dear, stop looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Don't worry OP. I was pushed into looking for an apartment early last summer and ended up accepting a total kip because I was afraid it was all I would be able to get.

There will ALWAYS be vacant apartments close to your college, and with the economic downturn this year, rents will be cheaper than ever. I plant to start searching 2 weeks before college term starts and I'll move in the day before I start.

Also if you accept an apartment now, you may be forced to begin paying rent straight away to secure it. That's a months rent wasted before you even beging college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

it would be best to find one before the LC results are out. then there is a scramble!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IxM

Honestly i would start looking, I confirmed my apartment today for next year after weeks of hearing "No Students", but i had a viewing before this in Milltown and the lady said that at least 8 groups of students from UCD had arrived during the day to view the house.
    There will always be places around, but like if you want something particular try browsing now for it....
    Daft.ie && Rent.ie were really helpful when i was look - search the college lettings, but be wary of some places that state they are "10 minutes walk from UCD" when really there in Clondalkin :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

probably end up take bus 20mins/walking distance 30mins to ucd campus if OP not start looking from now on :D

well,depends on how close OP wanna get to campus,i'd say is already too late to get a place 5mins to the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd recommend to start looking now. Once the LC results come out there will be chaos! Having spoken to one person who's just found a room for next year, the impression they gave is that there aren't as many places out there as would be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

No way, I was looking straight after the exams but left it til about this time of year too. You should start looking no, but don't feel pressured to settling for a kip, I almost had to do that.
    i got loads of "no student" responses but you got to battle through them and you'll get a few viewings at least. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Whoo hoo! Cheapest rent ever this year. Have a look around ranelagh, best place to live imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement