Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New snake owner

Options
  • 27-07-2009 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Guys,
    new to this site and just looking for some advice.
    I recently got a common Boa constrictor and would like to find some more information. Does anyone have care sheets on them or know of any websites or societies in Ireland that I could look into ?
    I have done as much research as possible online and with books and with friends who have snakes prior to getting him but have noticed I am getting a lot of contradictions as far as feeding and handling so I want to make sure I am getting the best advice from the beginning.
    Anyone on here who has a boa and could possibly help I would love to hear from you !
    Thanks guys :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irlande_euroluv

Hi.
    I have a Boa and a ball python and a corn snake.
    You can PM me any questions you have. I'm goin to bed now though but will answer later on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tig09

Hi Thanks, just PM you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 babydollbabe

hi

you should go into ben in reptile haven in temple bar or ring him.
    he will give ya all the advice you need.
    i have two pythons and get all my advice from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

hi

you should go into ben in reptile haven in temple bar or ring him.
    he will give ya all the advice you need.
    i have two pythons and get all my advice from him

Realisticly, i dont think he got the snake off Ben or he would have had all the advise he needed, but Ben is very busy with all of his customers without someone ramdom ringing for help on a common boa, i pm'd the op already, www.reptile-community.com you can get all the advise you need there for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 babydollbabe

well im sure ben wouldn mind giving him some advice

• Advertisement

Hi Thanks for the help guys, went into Ben yesterday and he really was a great help, really knows his stuff and great at explianing it all well, but as mentioned here he was really busyin the shop so didnt want to be annoying him to much plus i didnt buy my snake off him so its a bit unfair, although I will be getting some bits off him in the future, amazing set up he has.
    Anyway also tried to get some info off the site reptile community, but you can only view 5 "pages" per day unless you sign up which I did but my account is still waiting admin approval for last few days now, so unfortunately not great for the few immediate questions on feeding etc that I had, anyway I will keep trying to find a really good care sheet online but thanks again for all the help.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

tig09 wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for the help guys, went into Ben yesterday and he really was a great help, really knows his stuff and great at explianing it all well, but as mentioned here he was really busyin the shop so didnt want to be annoying him to much plus i didnt buy my snake off him so its a bit unfair, although I will be getting some bits off him in the future, amazing set up he has.
    Anyway also tried to get some info off the site reptile community, but you can only view 5 "pages" per day unless you sign up which I did but my account is still waiting admin approval for last few days now, so unfortunately not great for the few immediate questions on feeding etc that I had, anyway I will keep trying to find a really good care sheet online but thanks again for all the help.:)

Mat the owner of the site isnt on alot these days due to health issues but he'll activate the account soon im sure. Send me a pm if you want mate with what your looking to find out, or even post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I keep and breed boa's,there is a sort care sheet on my site,ask any questions I'll do my best to help.
    www.boa-constrictor.co.uk

account now activated guess i was just being impatient :o so found loads of great help on the forums on reptile community and also on the Sci's site which has been great. Have one thing though I didn't seem to find on the forums etc....I just got my Boa, and she is about 7 weeks old, first few days she was fine, fairly active but a little wary as to be expected, but since late Monday night she has not moved ! she is in a little rock hide that I have in her viv and last night i coaxed her out for her first feed since I got her and she must have been hungry, nearly took the hand off me :D lol but she went straight back into the rock again and hasnt moved since, is this normal ? first snake so I am still getting used to what I should expect

Any help appreciated guys ;)

Vinnie K wrote: »
    Mat the owner of the site isnt on alot these days due to health issues but he'll activate the account soon im sure. Send me a pm if you want mate with what your looking to find out, or even post here.

Thanks vinnie, my account got activated last night so sorry if I came across as giving out about the site, wasnt at all, it has been a great help, Matt run's a great forum there, thanks again.:D

• Advertisement

tig09 wrote: »
    account now activated guess i was just being impatient :o so found loads of great help on the forums on reptile community and also on the Sci's site which has been great. Have one thing though I didn't seem to find on the forums etc....I just got my Boa, and she is about 7 weeks old, first few days she was fine, fairly active but a little wary as to be expected, but since late Monday night she has not moved ! she is in a little rock hide that I have in her viv and last night i coaxed her out for her first feed since I got her and she must have been hungry, nearly took the hand off me :D lol but she went straight back into the rock again and hasnt moved since, is this normal ? first snake so I am still getting used to what I should expect

Any help appreciated guys ;)

That's normal bud snakes stay still while digesting there food,don't be handling it bud now for 3 days until it's digested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

YEa best not touch her for a week after a feed. I have my boa now 4 years. And the only time he is narky is after a feed or before a shed. A great pet though, hope you enjoy her as much as I have mine
    SCI wrote: »
    That's normal bud snakes stay still while digesting there food,don't be handling it bud now for 3 days until it's digested it.

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    YEa best not touch her for a week after a feed. I have my boa now 4 years. And the only time he is narky is after a feed or before a shed. A great pet though, hope you enjoy her as much as I have mine

A week's a bit extreme,3 days is fine if your feeding the correct size of food.Considering the snake should be fed every 7 days you'd never get to handle it.

Hi Thanks Sci, yeah 3 days sounds about right, a week is probably a bit extreme given that I will be feeding him every 6-7 days,but I am sure that advice was for an adult boa, I fed him Tue night and he was really inactive since, barely moving at all out of his rock but now seems a bit better, I left it until today to handle him mainly cos he wasnt moving. He didnt seem to pleased at all to be handled today so only had him on my hands for a few minutes and put him back into a clean viv so hopefully he will be startng to settle in properly now, thanks again for all the help guys, its really hard to figure out whats the norm for a new snake but I know it will be well worth it.:D

Advertisement