Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leonard Cohen tickets - €36 to €90 - Barcelona

Options
  • 27-07-2009 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Just booked a couple of tickets for Leonard Cohen concert in Palau San Jordi stadium, Barcelona, Sept 21st. Cheapest was €36, dearest was €80 - these were the official Ticketmaster prices. Dublin was about €50 dearer for all tickets more or less.
    Lots left by the way (not at 36€ though) - maybe L Cohen is too mournful for the Spanish?
    Prices in UK were a lot cheaper too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

of all industries I belive live concerts have massive overheads in ireland which will affect the price of a ticket.

I heard someone from Aiken promotions on the radio talking about the costs for the Beyonce concerts, Insurance for the gig in the O2 was costing them €25000 while in Belfast for the same concert is was stg£250.

Now that is only one of the costs, add up all the other costs that cost more and you can explain away a lot of the difference, but Ireland is a different market to Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Public Liability insurance for a large public event costing just £250?
    really!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

whippet wrote: »
    of all industries I belive live concerts have massive overheads in ireland which will affect the price of a ticket.

I heard someone from Aiken promotions on the radio talking about the costs for the Beyonce concerts, Insurance for the gig in the O2 was costing them €25000 while in Belfast for the same concert is was stg£250.

Now that is only one of the costs, add up all the other costs that cost more and you can explain away a lot of the difference, but Ireland is a different market to Spain.
    I agree our costs ARE higher so it's not totally a rip-off by MCD or whatever - but I presume part of the reason for this "rip-off Ireland" forum is to highlight and expose excessive prices and maybe question the underlying causes? (the other being that we all like to blow off steam now and then!).
    For instance you mention insurance. Many small businesses are going out of business because of insurance costs - and the response from insurance companies is that it's because the level of compo paid in Ireland is so ridiculously high. The solution there is setting reasonable expectations for compensation, and getting rid of a lot of ambulance chasers (ie lawyers) especially no-win no fee operators.
    The other problem I came across when trying and failing to set up something was Government agency interference - the number of twats who have nothing better to do than check this, audit that, you need a licence for the other..... and everything costs yet another excessive unexplained or justified fee - it just wears you down.
    Part of the problem is entirely our own fault - prices will always rise to the level the market will bear - to point at which people say "No - enough!" We never tell snotty restaurateurs that what they just fed us was very pretty, bland, and that we are still hungry - why? Local authority decides we have to pay for the privilege of parking to shop in their overpriced town, and we don't call or email them to complain. Ticket prices are quoted "subject to booking fee" (ie we will charge you what we feel like)- and we meekly submit.
    A solicitor will avoid telling you what he will charge for a service - then when you receive the overpriced bill for imaginary hours worked, "documents uttered", postage and phone calls made, ...plus VAT - he/she will innocently quote some guff about "usual fees" for such transactions, plus expenses.... and the only place we can complain about it is online..... sorry feel a rant coming on....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    question the underlying causes?
    Yes, I find it interesting. This subject has come up in the gig forum, I know a guy who works in a venue in town who has interesting stories of costs. A band will have to ship equipment here, or else pay over the odds for rental here, also they have to put up the roadies/crew band up in the pricey hotels here, and could be paying their expenses here too. They spend all that money to travel to a place with a relatively small population so they spend all that set up time & cost and can only attract one or 2 nights anyway, in other places it could be more gigs in a row so there are huge savings.

I think the majority of workers in oxegen on the technical side were from the UK, again there would be higher wages to pay all the staff here too.

Advertisement