Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€16 for a glass of house wine- Castlemartyr Resort

• 27-07-2009 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Friend dropped in to sample the under-new-management Castlemartyr Resort & Spa (who have been pushing apparently fairly reasonable 2 night stay deals recently). She didn't stay - can't remember what she paid for the panini (it was outrageous) but €16 for one glass of house red wine stuck in my mind - and hers!
    I think they'll have to think it out again.....!

Update: I have been informed (see below) that house wine there is €7.50 per glass, not €16 which presumably was something more exotic. Lest anyone be misled I have amended the title of the thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I doubt this very much - I had quite a nice bottle of wine with dinner there last april for €28 and if memory is correct the house wine was about €23 a BOTTLE.

What they do have is a large list of wines by the glass incuding some very good ones and the prices ranged from about €6.50 up to almost €20 for a glass - Maybe your friend mistakenly ordered one of the premium wines in error?

€16 a glass of house wine is simply not charged by this or any hotel in Ireland.

Menu Prices for snacks as follows -

Sandwiches

Parma Ham

Ciabata with Parma Ham and Mozzarella and Tomato

Vegetable

Grilled Marinated Aubergine, Courgette Red Pepper and Pesto, Foccacia

Chicken

Roast Breast of Chicken, Rocket Salad, Mayonnaise, Grain Mustard Brown Sliced Bread

Smoked Salmon

Open Irish Soda with Smoked Salmon and Horseradish Cream and Mustard Cress

Egg

Hard Boiled Diced Egg, Sun Dried Tomato, Mayonnaise, in Between White Bread

Classic Club

On White Bread with Chicken, Egg, Tomato, Bacon and Lettuce

(All Sandwich is served with Gaufrette Chips)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

You may well be right - as I was not there I can't say for sure. I hope they work out some viable market niche - it's a beautiful place ( haven't been there since it became a hotel) and it is good to treat yourself now and then.

I think you need to change the title as otherwise it could cause problems due to false accusations

Dear Mr Darcy
    Greetings from Castlemartyr Resort. I'm delighted to tell you that a glass of house wine is €7.50.
    Kind Regards.
    Myriam
    Front Desk

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Update: I have been informed (see below) that house wine there is €7.50 per glass, not €16 which presumably was something more exotic. Lest anyone be misled I have amended the title of the thread.

you see - women exagerrate both ways.

Hairdo was "only" €90, but they paid €140
    New shoes, you'll be told were €40 but really cost them €90
    The "new" outfit, you'll be told has been in wardrobe for "months" whereas it was bought that morning:D

"I'll just have a glass of house wine", but in reality she's pointing to the 1956 Chateaux De Expense Account on page 2. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

She probably had two glasses poured into a bier stein and left a €1 tip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 SaveAFewBob.ie

I'm guilty of that mistake myself in a lovely Ballsbridge hotel...

I went for after work drinks with the girls, they got a round of white wine, all was well.

I went up to the bar to get a 2nd round of drinks for us, asked for 3 Sauvingon Blanc's (here I made my school boy error), and went back down to the table to wait for them to be served.

The waiter brought them over, then went back to get the Laser machine and a bill for €40 something euro.

At this stage, we had already started drinking our wine. I just grinned and bore it. I'm put it down as an experience learned. Expensive but!

I learned my lesson - Always check the wine list!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

I'm guilty of that mistake myself in a lovely Ballsbridge hotel...

I went for after work drinks with the girls, they got a round of white wine, all was well.

I went up to the bar to get a 2nd round of drinks for us, asked for 3 Sauvingon Blanc's (here I made my school boy error), and went back down to the table to wait for them to be served.

The waiter brought them over, then went back to get the Laser machine and a bill for €40 something euro.

At this stage, we had already started drinking our wine. I just grinned and bore it. I'm put it down as an experience learned. Expensive but!

I learned my lesson - Always check the wine list!!!

Readin this post correctly I hope....then this Hotel really flagrantly ripped you off.

I i ordered three S.Blancs I would mean the Snipe bottles that retail abot 5.30 europes.

I.e circa 18 squids fer three.

Cnunt charges you€40...without checkin...blatent rrrrripppp orffff...niver go beck there again..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

went to Castlemartyr last October for a dirty weekend away with the wife. Got a deal on the fantastic room, great service, lovely hotel, amazing pool and spa....the only problem was the food. The dinner bufet was €55 each, and certainly not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think the real rip-off here is the sandwiches. 11-16 euro for a SANDWICH??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Certainly 55 euro for a buffet of any description is down right robbery.

11-16 euro seems a lot for a sandwich , but in hotel world it's about right .

I go to hotels quite a bit ( travel for work ) , I make a rule that I will not eat in the hotel unless I HAVE to . I do this partly for my sanity, partly because hotels by and large are a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I was asked for $75 for a sandwich once - in Thailand - but I wasn't in the mood......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

darc wrote: »
    I'm delighted to tell you...
    Jaysus, she's easily pleased...

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Certainly 55 euro for a buffet of any description is down right robbery.

11-16 euro seems a lot for a sandwich , but in hotel world it's about right .

I go to hotels quite a bit ( travel for work ) , I make a rule that I will not eat in the hotel unless I HAVE to . I do this partly for my sanity, partly because hotels by and large are a rip off.

What you have to understand is that Castlemartyr is a 5 star resort, so you should expect to pay more and get better quality food & service.

€11 - €13 for a sandwich from a sanwich bar / pub would be expensive, but from the westbury / four seasons would be good value. Similarly the €55 dinner in castlemartyr is not a buffet but a set dinner in a silver service restaurant and at that is exceptional value - again if it was €55 in the local gastropub it would be a different story.

To understand whether something is a rip off or not, you must put it in context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

Ok I misunderstood hoser expat , who said it was a buffet.

55 euro for a set dinner is pricy but not as bad as buffet, and is similar I imagine to what you would pay in the k club or a similar establishment.

If you read my post I actually say that 11-16 seems about right for ' hotel land '.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

went to Castlemartyr last October for a dirty weekend away with the wife.
    Woah, way too much information..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi,

Ok I misunderstood hoser expat , who said it was a buffet.

55 euro for a set dinner is pricy but not as bad as buffet, and is similar I imagine to what you would pay in the k club or a similar establishment.

If you read my post I actually say that 11-16 seems about right for ' hotel land '.

No, you didn't misunderstand, it was a buffet, not a set dinner. This was last October before it closed. The second night of our stay we went to the local chippy....there's not much choice in the town.

Still that is the only bad thing I have to say about the place. Five star all the way, the room was magnificent, service impeccable. I think we were upgraded to a top room as we had our dogs with us (yes, a 5 star that allows pets!) and they gave us a room with its own garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I think we were upgraded to a top room as we had our dogs with us (yes, a 5 star that allows pets!) and they gave us a room with its own garden.
    Not much of a dirty weekend so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

hunter164 wrote: »
    Not much of a dirty weekend so :pac:

Or a downright filthy one :D;)

Advertisement